No (153)
73.91%
This discussion is closed.
PointeShoes-x
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No. Even if you're naturally talented if you don't put a lot of work into it you won't pass.
__Katy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TheMeister)
My condolences.
Haha, thanks

It was fine til about March, but by then I was way too stubborn to admit I was being too "well-rounded"

Althoguh I did get my 5 As
prospectivEEconomist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
well lets face it, if you told someone you studied maths/economics/science they would go wow but if you said art they would just just go 'erm ok'
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
well lets face it, if you told someone you studied maths/economics/science they would go wow but if you said art they would just just go 'erm ok'
Speak for yourself. :p:
TomTom92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I do not think it's a doss subject, but I don't think you need to spent a lot of time working on it though. I'm doing GCSE at the moment, and to get marks you just have to look at the assessment criteria and do what it tells you to do. It's mainly about filling up the pages while hitting this criteria.

I think you don't have to be good in the subject to get a good grade, because (in my class anyway) the person who has a chance at getting an A* was told by the teacher that they were 'below average' in artistic talent.
Antonia87
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did Art and Photography at my last college and they were the most time-consuming subjects I have ever taken. Projects dished out every week, mountains of coursework - the vast majority of your work is done outside the classroom. And not only that, but my teachers were highly critical. I'd spend hours in the dark room (your only source of light was a glow-in-the-dark clock on the wall) and be developing photographs only to be told that something was wrong with them, then I'd have to go back inside and do it all again.

Anyone who calls it a "doss" subject, is a tool, quite frankly.
the_alba
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't 'go wow' when I meet a maths student. I wouldn't with an art student either, until I saw their work. If it was great, then 'wow' might feature in my response. I'm not very good at art.
Cooljack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I found Art A level really easy/enjoyable, im doing it as a foundation now I have to say I think in principle its not a dos subject but most of the people who do it consider it that, I did adequatly in my A levels as whole though most the people i've come across seem to have only done the course because they Failed A levels.
Antonia87
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Er... why would you be WOWED at meeting someone who studied maths? They're still just a student who studies a subject, at the end of the day. They're not superheroes. They're just good at maths.
tropical-twist3
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
no way, even if you're good at it it still takes ages. It takes up more time than any other subject and time is somehting you never seem to have enough of
prospectivEEconomist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
nice neg rep:

haven't negged you in a while. ****.

lol.
purple-girl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Although I hated art when I took it and couldn't wait to drop it (basically as I was rubbish at it and didn't see the point in it at all), I appreciate that to do well in it you have to have a lot of innate talent and a passion for it, and a lot of work has to be put in. I don't know much about the course, but I'm sure that it's very hard to get a high grade in it if you aren't prepared to put in the hours and don't have much talent.
tropical-twist3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you wouldn't sy wow to either. you migh tif you saw ome of their work, and then it depends on personal preference at who's work you are more 'wowed' by
Music Is My Boyfriend
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's actually solid.
My mates are all doing it and they're working so much, they have so many deadlines and essays it's unreal.
eeriikaa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Whoever says that Art is a doss subject is in denial >>;;

Personally I love the subject and take both Fine Art and Graphic Design, as well as picking up Art History this year. If you don't know what you're doing it can be quite difficult, but once you have an idea of where you're going with projects and such it's not too bad.
I think the only reason I found it hard last year was because I procrastinated with it so much, though. It can still be a bit hard now but I spend most of my free time in the art department or at galleries and doing work.. so the improved consistancy takes the pressure off these days.
menaa-x
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
tis a hell of a lot of work tbh..
woofums
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
tbh, it was my hardest A level just because you have to be committed to working on it all the time. Its also really costly. I wouldnt say its a doss at all. It also requires good analytical and evaluative skills
kdhillon922
Report 10 years ago
haha you have to be kidding

i think my other subjects (history, philosophy and english) are all doss subjects compared to the sheer amount of work and skill required to get a decent grade in Art.

I have 4 hours 40 mins of scheduled Art lessons per week yet i've spent a total of 11 hours 20 mins additional time (not including lesson time) in art this week trying to perfect my sculpture piece plus my drawing piece, do my art history essay, do my final piece for drawing studio and maintain my sketchbook.

tis nottt bloody easy
tropical-twist3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
See its only ever the people who don't do art who think its a doss. I know that all the people who took it thinking it would be a doss either dropped out or didn't pass.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Academically, art is a doss subject. However, the sheer amount of work involved makes it anything but a doss subject.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (73)
9.46%
No I am happy with my course choice (455)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.86%

Watched Threads