No (153)
73.91%
This discussion is closed.
stass
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I took double GCSE art, AS and now A2. I don't know why I've carried it on really. Maybe there's something which I just can't let go. I have no plans to study art at University and it doesn't really have any relevance to what I want to study at University, but it definately is the most stressful of my subjects with the sheer amount of work which has to be done. It's so time consuming.

I can understand some people see it as it can be a bit of a doss mentally. You can have a low IQ and do great if you have mad skills and/or a great imagination
kultist
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by maxi321)
What i mean is that in comparison to acedemic subjects many will believe its a doss becauuse though the work load may be more, as a subject it requires minimum brain power in comparison to say, chemisty.

I've done both artys subjects and pure sciences and have found science to require you to learn and memorise more information and then they also come with there own work load. where as the arty subjects have more of a work load and less brain power. thats why many people consider them to be a doss.
That's the exact opposite of a doss. You realise that to doss means to be lazy and not do work right? What you've just said is that if you're intelligent, chemistry and biology are doss subjects.
death.drop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by efemmedvazit)
What art course was she doing and what exam board btw? I've got a friend who is super talented in every form of art- painting, carpentry, jewellery and especially textiles and she draws really high quality stuff in minutes but even she couldnt do coursework the night before! You know each piece of coursework is 13 weeks long? !
to add to what efemmedvazit's said:

our coursework wasn't something that you can do the night before, it was minimum 10 hours work a week for every week of term and holiday.

I got in trouble for relying too much on digital art for my AS level because you need to use a variety of medias to get the highest marks. even to get low marks you needed to use at least 3. so to say you can do it all on the computer is bull as well.

I suspect either your friend was lying to you, you're ************ to us or you're mistaken about what course your friend was doing.
efemmedvazit
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tuesday91)
Most definately not.
Although some teachers practically do it for you, that's a bit of a doss. But at our school we were left pretty much on our own, which meant a whole lot of work.
How can the teachers do it for you? You're not telling me they produced work for you? :eek: They should be outed by Ofsted.
In fact this is one fot he ways that art requires a certain amount of mental ability that other subjects dont. In art, you are not spoon fed. You cannot listen to a teacher, write notes, revise and copy the notes you remembr form your head on to a bit of paper. You are completely idnependent. you make all the deicisons which is frankly, pretty difficult. You decide what to make, what to base your idea on out of anything at all. You create a sotry/ theme, then an image in your head, you creat pictures, you draw from life, you think about what media to use, you teach yourself how to make clay sculptures of wax models of your own hand (yeah I did that for fun), you choose and artist out of the billions around to look at and become knowledgable about, you practice your final idea, you decide the clay thign sint working and you start again. You pay for the materials, you collect them from a shop, you bring an A1 canvas in on the bus and look like an idiot!

Art was most definitely the best subject I ever took to improve/ gain my own indepence and creativity aside from the job I'm in now which requires much more indpendence than being at uni. In fact its one the things I've got that my uni friends with A grades dont- the ability to think on my own and come up with something out of nowhere and to put it into practice, so even though the workload's **** I'm kind of glad I did it
goats
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it is a dos subject mainly because the unis like oxford say it is, however there is a tremedos amount of worked required for it.
Jaquafresh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
well lets face it, if you told someone you studied maths/economics/science they would go wow but if you said art they would just just go 'erm ok'
common prejudice is hardy an arguement

And what if you said Maths, Economics, Physics, and Art ?
Take it from me, it isn't a doss subject, different, yes, in many ways it can be considered lesser, but not 'doss'.
efemmedvazit
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
well lets face it, if you told someone you studied maths/economics/science they would go wow but if you said art they would just just go 'erm ok'
Depends who your talking to. If someone told me they'd studied those, apart from Physics and perhaps Chem, I'd think they were dossers and that they were probably spoonfed. Considering the similarties between maths and econ and sciences I'd expect them to get high grades because they are basically the same group of subjetcs, which require no what I could call 'mood switch' and all involve maths. If they then said 'oh and I do art too' I'd be impressed because thats a lot of subjects to do, I know how much time art takes and it shows the ability to be creative and to mood switch form thinking in a logical mathematical way to a contrasting creative, independent and practical way into art.
Phalanges
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
After struggling terribly through year 9 art, I would never call it a doss subject. I just couldn't do it, no matter how much ******* work I put in.
efemmedvazit
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think one reason people expect art to be 'dossy' is because a fair amount of 'less academically able' students pick up art, maybe becasue they think it looks easier. Having said that, these students, unless they have a natural flare for art, tend to do less well in art than the A grade students taking art as well. And, yes, there are A grades students taking art! My friends doing History at Cambridge and she did Fine Art A level! In fact, as she's so good at art I said why dont you do art at uni and she said 'because I know there will always be people out there better than me at art, but with history there wont' (presumably because its all set text stuff and if you get 100% in a history exam your at the top, but if you get 100% you could be **** compared to proper established mega-bucks artists or the 'masters'.
efemmedvazit
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
nice neg rep:

haven't negged you in a while. ****.

lol.

Not related to the above post, but aimed at you, why would someone be wowed if you studied maths? I've studied maths GCSE, just like every other kid in this country. Have you studied art Gcse- I thought not. Do I have 30% of the same level knowledge in maths as you- why yes, do you have 30% the same level knowledge of art in you as me- why no, not even 1%
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Absolubtly.
I had friends who took it and confirmed this.
scraceus999
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am going A2 art, and last year i was doing AS photography as well. TWO art subjects was just the stupidist amount of work no matter how enjoyable. I dropped Photography just because for starters it was a focused art, without much experimentation and variety, and in one year I COMPLETELY filled SIX A4 sketchbooks. Thats on top of the FOUR A3 ones for art.

there is no way that anyone who knows what art is like can call it doss. It is a subject people usually do well in or fail completely. And it is harder than my English or Maths, and i aint no natural thinker at Maths!
efemmedvazit
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by eeriikaa)
Whoever says that Art is a doss subject is in denial >>;;

Personally I love the subject and take both Fine Art and Graphic Design, as well as picking up Art History this year. If you don't know what you're doing it can be quite difficult, but once you have an idea of where you're going with projects and such it's not too bad.
I think the only reason I found it hard last year was because I procrastinated with it so much, though. It can still be a bit hard now but I spend most of my free time in the art department or at galleries and doing work.. so the improved consistancy takes the pressure off these days.

Foundation is easier :yep: My friends at Chelsea Hope you get into Kingston - I was gonna go there for illustration., but changed my mind
blackcatlover2
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeah, anyone who says otherwise is just trying to console themselves they were unable to do more academic real subjects
scraceus999
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
Absolubtly.
I had friends who took it and confirmed this.
sure it isnt academic but it is still one of the hardest subjects due simply to the huge workload. That is if you want an A or B at least.
emilyjane_09
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not at all.
Megs925
Report 10 years ago
It's not a doss subject at all.. to achieve A* or whatever you need to do a lot of work.. i take it and i have lots of work there is hours of work if you really wanna do well!
efemmedvazit
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scraceus999)
I am going A2 art, and last year i was doing AS photography as well. TWO art subjects was just the stupidist amount of work no matter how enjoyable. I dropped Photography just because for starters it was a focused art, without much experimentation and variety, and in one year I COMPLETELY filled SIX A4 sketchbooks. Thats on top of the FOUR A3 ones for art.

there is no way that anyone who knows what art is like can call it doss. It is a subject people usually do well in or fail completely. And it is harder than my English or Maths, and i aint no natural thinker at Maths!

I think if you are doing solely art related subjects, the workload is manageable because you are always in an arty mood and anything you produce for one subject can be used in the other and because you are always drawing etc, you get to a higher level quicker than if you took just one art subject so you get quicker at drawing / making things
scraceus999
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by blackcatlover2)
yeah, anyone who says otherwise is just trying to console themselves they were unable to do more academic real subjects
I do art. I also do English and Maths. English is one of the hardest subjects there is, and I think Art is harder. So according to you all Art students only take one A Level?

I take it are **** at art then, or you wouldnt be so bitter and you would realize that what you think is crap.
efemmedvazit
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by blackcatlover2)
Explain please? So if you're at Cambridge uni studying history and you took art A Level, you say you were 'unable to do more academic subjects' ?!!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (73)
9.46%
No I am happy with my course choice (455)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.86%

Watched Threads