No (153)
73.91%
This discussion is closed.
goats
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if someone had did maths economics and 2 sciences and was going for a degree in design against someone who had 1 science, maths and economics and art, the guy with art would come on top... or would he?
SiaSiaSia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
god no.
i found it so appallingly difficult, especially all the contextual stuff.
i worked 50x more on art than any other subject
and STILL got a B. :P
theartyard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I took GCSE Art and I can safely say that it is in NO WAY a doss subject. It's less respected than sciences and maths which is a real shame but it is by no means an 'easy' or 'soft' subject. There's tons of coursework to be done and artist research studies, annotations etc.I put SO much effort into art during my gcses, more so than any of my other subjects. It was definitely a toughie!
death.drop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by efemmedvazit)
Not related to the above post, but aimed at you, why would someone be wowed if you studied maths? I've studied maths GCSE, just like every other kid in this country. Have you studied art Gcse- I thought not. Do I have 30% of the same level knowledge in maths as you- why yes, do you have 30% the same level knowledge of art in you as me- why no, not even 1%
i agree with your sentiment that maths isn't really a wow subject but that post is just....wrong.

a lot of people have a personal interest in art and learn about it in their own time but don't want to waste academic opportunities on it and would rather take a different subject. some would even just rather not do it as a subject so as not to take the enjoyment out of it. Not having a GCSE in art doesn't mean you know nothing about it.
on the other hand, if someone has a natural love of maths it's likely they'll continue to do it in school/college as it's something that's easiest to learn in schools and you need a qualification in if you want to do anything with it.
blackcatlover2
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scraceus999)
I do art. I also do English and Maths. English is one of the hardest subjects there is, and I think Art is harder. So according to you all Art students only take one A Level?

I take it are **** at art then, or you wouldnt be so bitter and you would realize that what you think is crap.
so in other words you only felt able to take on two academic A levels as they were too much work by themselves? And why on earth would anyone be bitter at not being able to do art? (i did achieve good marks in art when it was compulsory, as anyone with half a brain would!) its the most useless A level around!!
music is my girlfriend
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did Art GCSE and it took up about 50% of my homework time, leaving the other 50% for my 11 other subjects.
Not easy at all.

A lot of the time I found that you didn't have to be particularly talented, but you have to be prepared to put in a LOT of time and effort.
I managed an A, but it was way too much work and stress. Never again.
(I had a crap teacher too, which didn't help..)
9mm
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by watermelon sugar)
hell no.
you need a substantial amount of ability and creativity to do well at a level, more than your average joe has. and it takes time- spending six hours a week on high quality work, research and analysis isn't a doss. it's tough.
i dropped it originally because of the work load but picked it back up again for the lurrrve of it. i spend six hours(okay, give or take the odd fag break) a week in college working on it in complete silence and concentration, and a fair few hours at home on it :| possibly more than i do on each of my other subjects, but it's so rewarding.

people who say it's a doss probably haven't done it and couldn't hack it themselves. i am someone with a good natural ability and even i find it tough because it's so time consuming and it stretches you to produce really good work. i take a lot of pride in my work, and it pays off, but i wouldn't have got the grade i did if i hadn't put in the hours on practical work, research, analysis... i tend to let myself flow through projects, get new and changing ideas all the time, i don't follow set ideas or intentions, so it's a consistent amount of effort.
mmm i love art
I agree with the above, I picked it up halfway through yr 12, which I don't regret despite the extra hours/days I spent catching up. Then sat two exams in the same year (at A2) at the same time. But it paid off in the end.

It's just not an academic subject, which is why people think it's a doss. And those who do it usually put quite some effort into it and have some raw skills to start with (I don't believe in talent) that they do well in it, and when people see that everyone doing it ends up with As and Bs then it must be an easy subject.

Edit: GCSE fine art, on the other hand, was a doss. But that's pretty much the same across most subjects at GCSE.
ElectricOceans
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, I don’t think so. I think you need to have a lot of dedication to take up art and definitely need to be able to keep on top of the workload. Although, some people get through it really easily just because they happen to be really good at it, you get people like that in all subjects though.
xxstace123xx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Its no different to photography.

Ok I agree with media.

But photography takes as much time.
efemmedvazit
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by maxi321)
What i mean is that in comparison to acedemic subjects many will believe its a doss becauuse though the work load may be more, as a subject it requires minimum brain power in comparison to say, chemisty.

I've done both artys subjects and pure sciences and have found science to require you to learn and memorise more information and then they also come with there own work load. where as the arty subjects have more of a work load and less brain power. thats why many people consider them to be a doss.
I bet my socks you are the kind of person who would look at 17th Century Dutch paintings and not have a clue what they are trying to convey, which is frankly pretty sad. Being creative is harder than remembering that NA is Sodium I know if I'd have taken sciences at A Level I would have got a hgiher marks than what i did for art and in my other subjects too because they require less continual work and there are so many inidividual marks on each paper, that you are bound to get something right! I could probably get an E in chem a level without every having studied the course! If you scribbled all over a piece of white paper whilst I was taking the chem exam, you would not get an E in A level art, my dear :no:
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scraceus999)
sure it isnt academic but it is still one of the hardest subjects due simply to the huge workload. That is if you want an A or B at least.
They both got straight A's IIRC.

I can't offer an opinion myself, I'm just offering anecdotal evidence.
death.drop
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by blackcatlover2)
so in other words you only felt able to take on two academic A levels as they were too much work by themselves? And why on earth would anyone be bitter at not being able to do art? (i did achieve good marks in art when it was compulsory, as anyone with half a brain would!) its the most useless A level around!!
so what about my friend, who attends cambridge university and did 5 a levels (physics, maths, further maths, english literature and fine art)? she's just not academic enough, right?

and isn't the level of uselessness really related to what you want to do? if you want to be a journalist then yeah, probably pretty useless. if you want to be a graphic designer then it's going to be more useful than biology/chemistry/etc.
efemmedvazit
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by goats)
if someone had did maths economics and 2 sciences and was going for a degree in design against someone who had 1 science, maths and economics and art, the guy with art would come on top... or would he?
Depends what design degree, but yes most likely as you need practical and creative skills for 'design'. His science would be overlooked and his maths would be partially relevant depneing on what design course, otherwise he would probably not get onto the course. He'd need a good portfolio remember!
blackcatlover2
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by death.drop)
so what about my friend, who attends cambridge university and did 5 a levels (physics, maths, further maths, english literature and fine art)? she's just not academic enough, right?

and isn't the level of uselessness really related to what you want to do? if you want to be a journalist then yeah, probably pretty useless. if you want to be a graphic designer then it's going to be more useful than biology/chemistry/etc.
well she obviously felt that art did not count as an A level and so had to take four others to make up for the fact she took art. doesn't mean shes not academic, but she proved this by her other subjects, art was a useless aside probably taken out of personal interest rather than any illusion that unis could care less about it
littleshambles
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How is Art useless if for a lot of unis you need Art A level to get into Architecture degrees.
efemmedvazit
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by death.drop)
i agree with your sentiment that maths isn't really a wow subject but that post is just....wrong.

a lot of people have a personal interest in art and learn about it in their own time but don't want to waste academic opportunities on it and would rather take a different subject. some would even just rather not do it as a subject so as not to take the enjoyment out of it. Not having a GCSE in art doesn't mean you know nothing about it.
on the other hand, if someone has a natural love of maths it's likely they'll continue to do it in school/college as it's something that's easiest to learn in schools and you need a qualification in if you want to do anything with it.

What I'm saying is most people have GCSE maths - yes? Most people dont have GCSE art. I know you dont need GCSE art to be good at GCSE, I'm saying there a less people studying art than maths (becasue maths is compulsory) so its likely that everyone will know 30% of the maths the a level maths kids do, but the a level maths kids may never have been interested in art. In particualr maths and sciences students tend to be less likely to take artdesign subjects than humanities students. Usually, if you have an interest in art you will take it on at school, especially if you are good at it. If you just have an interest in looking at paintings then that is different, because obviosuly you wont have the practical skills. My post makes 100% factual sense
tuesday91
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by efemmedvazit)
How can the teachers do it for you? You're not telling me they produced work for you? :eek: They should be outed by Ofsted.
In fact this is one fot he ways that art requires a certain amount of mental ability that other subjects dont. In art, you are not spoon fed. You cannot listen to a teacher, write notes, revise and copy the notes you remembr form your head on to a bit of paper. You are completely idnependent. you make all the deicisons which is frankly, pretty difficult. You decide what to make, what to base your idea on out of anything at all. You create a sotry/ theme, then an image in your head, you creat pictures, you draw from life, you think about what media to use, you teach yourself how to make clay sculptures of wax models of your own hand (yeah I did that for fun), you choose and artist out of the billions around to look at and become knowledgable about, you practice your final idea, you decide the clay thign sint working and you start again. You pay for the materials, you collect them from a shop, you bring an A1 canvas in on the bus and look like an idiot!

Art was most definitely the best subject I ever took to improve/ gain my own indepence and creativity aside from the job I'm in now which requires much more indpendence than being at uni. In fact its one the things I've got that my uni friends with A grades dont- the ability to think on my own and come up with something out of nowhere and to put it into practice, so even though the workload's **** I'm kind of glad I did it
I think you got me a bit wrong there, I said that our art teachers left us entirely independant, not that they produced work for us!

But at some schools they are a lot more guided and I am sure because of internal marking that many are probably marked higher than they deserve, my art teacher was invigilating at several school and said that some had marked all their students as A*s when many of them didn't even deserve a C.

I think our school was marked fairly enough though, marks ranged from A*s right down to Fs and I was in the middle with a B. It all depended on how much work you put into it really.

It sounds like your school had the right idea though!
efemmedvazit
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Well it isnt if you want a degree in Fine Art or illustration or Architecture. If you want a degree in English, Science and maths are compeltey useless :yep:
death.drop
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
well she obviously felt that art did not count as an A level and so had to take four others to make up for the fact she took art. doesn't mean shes not academic, but she proved this by her other subjects, art was a useless aside probably taken out of personal interest rather than any illusion that unis could care less about it
so what uni's want is the be all and end all?

and again, it really depends on the course. like someone else said, if you want to do architecture and you've not got art then you're pretty much up **** creek. same for many design subjects.

edit: i'd just like to add the skills that you learn in art are far from useless. art is one of the better subjects for teaching you time management and independent development and study. important when you get to uni.
badgerhunter
Report 10 years ago
Who ever said art was a doss subject was a filthy LIAR!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.83%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.99%
No I am happy with my course choice (400)
57.06%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (99)
14.12%

Watched Threads