No (153)
73.91%
This discussion is closed.
Ribbits
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It is true that it isn't a very academic subject, although it has academic elements, and it is not difficult to grasp what you have to do.

A doss subject, however, it is not. Far more time consuming than any other subject I have done. At GCSE I was working after school from 3-6pm 4 days every week in the art room, with more time also spent at home - just to get an A. Not because I was not working at A* standard, but because I am very slow and could not produce the quantity needed.

I spend more time on art than my other subjects combined. English literature, for example - which I do love - is much less work and it would be infinitely more accurate for me to say that was a 'doss subject'. Which clearly it is not.

[I am exceptionally slow though, I can not rush art. My final piece for the exam unit in my AS year was an A6 (yes, A6) acrylic painting, I had only 8 hours. It was so close to the actual photograph which I was painting that when I did not finish the last corner of it in time, I stuck on a bit of the photo and nobody could tell. :shh: I got almost full marks for that module in the end.]
cotton-eye-joe
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
I gave up art for gcse, even though i was good at it, as i prefered three other options, but in no way is it a doss subject.

If you are good at it and are prepared to put in the time and effort, i supose it can be rather enjoyable. But if you're not so talented in this area, it can still be fun.
Henry JW
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did it Standard Grade and didn't feel very challenged - the teacher usually did his own thing and rarely addressed the class, most pupils just spoke to each other and stroked a paint brush now and then. So it didn't foster a very hardworking environment. A lot of the time I didn't have anything to do - I remember myself and a couple of friends flicking pen lids endlessly (you had to be there)

I got found out in the end and received a 4, although I can't recall how we were assessed. So I can conclude you have to put the effort in. But in my first two years at high school it was a complete doss: we arrived in class and grabbed a piece of paper and sketched whatever we wanted, while the teacher didn't bat an eyelid.
9mm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What's 'standard grade'?
will...
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
photography is an art & design subject and so has exactly the same (for a level) course structure/mark scheme as art/graphics.
Electric_Dreams
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not at all.

To do well you have to have:
1) Bag loads of talent.
2) Think for yourself- ie not regurgitate a book. :rolleyes:
3) Think outside the box.
4) Practise and practise to become very good and gain an original style.
5) Work A LOT.

It is, in no sense of the word, a doss subject.

It was the subject I did the most work for a GCSE, although it paid off.
Electric_Dreams
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
of course it is. draw a load of ******** and you are called creative
To be fair you can gain marks in an A-Level Economics paper just for drawing a set of axis. :rolleyes:
eeriikaa
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by efemmedvazit)
I did mine locally in my home at UCCA or now UCA I think its called. Again, it depends on where you live, but I think there's not much point paying tution fees and accommodation fees when you can just do it for free near your house. The course is the same everywhere so you get 'taught' the same stuff. Well, tbh you get taught nothing really, which is a shame (you've got to figure it out yourself), but you all have to do the same syllabus.

I'd have a look personally, at the more art-based institues like UAL or somewhere like Kingston/ Brighton/ Goldsmiths/ Falmouth for foundation courses if you dont want to go near home. Good Luck!
Well foundation is free if you're under 19 on the year of entry, but I see your point about staying locally.. my local college is a complete backup for me, even if the course there is meant to be just as good as anywhere else.

Thanks for the luck, though! I'll need it, haha xD
prospectivEEconomist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Electric_Dreams)
To be fair you can gain marks in an A-Level Economics paper just for drawing a set of axis. :rolleyes:
i didn't do economics: all sciences and maths.
Adam G Manning
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Knowing the sheer amount of hard work my ex put in, no.
GinaRichards
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE SAY THIS! ART IS NOT A DOSS SUBJECT. it takes skill and years to progress and reinfine in the different disaplines, and its not all painting its also alot of reserch and critial anaysises.
liquid_gears
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Personally I would subsidise the real subjects that the country needs and respects (science, medicine, engineering, maths, accounts etc) by scrapping (some courses) and hiking the prices up of mickey mouse courses (art, business, media studies etc).
Kwinnie
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Art is by no means a doss.I've studied art at university.I can compare my own work load with my flatmate's.They were studying engineering.They went to uni Tuesdays, Wednesday Mornings and alternate Thursdays.They had no homework. Everything was completed in lesson time.My life Mon- Fri I got up at 8am. In uni at 9am worked through my lunch break finished at 5pm. Back home at 5:30pm. Slept from 5:30-7:30. Woke up and worked on my art until 10:30 had something to eat. 11:00-3:30 slept 3:30-6am worked on my art. 6am-8am slept.Saturday worked from 8am-12pm,researched at the library 1pm-6pm back home start again at 9:30pm worked until 3:30am.Woke up at 8am had to go to work to buy art materials over actual food. Got home at 10pmSlept until 4:00am got up and did art until 8:00am then would go to uni for Monday morning.I did this for three years, unless I had deadlines looming then I would have to cancel some sleep so I could get it done.Art is not a doss, but some people's attitudes towards those who study are so derogative.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
A ten year old thread? Mystified how people find and bump these things.
Discrepancy
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
A ten year old thread? Mystified how people find and bump these things.
They must be searching something and this old thread pops up and then they comment and bump.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.45%
Excited (166)
9.39%
Worried (308)
17.43%
Terrified (389)
22.01%
Meh (184)
10.41%
Confused (39)
2.21%