The Student Room Group

firm and safe choice

so, I got accepted into Queen Mary's and City. I want to go to queen Marys more but they are asking for ABB. City on the other hand is asking for AAB. but I want to choose queen Mary as my firm and city as my safe because I don't really want to go there. so I'm not sure exactly what to do.
I spoke to my teacher and she said I have to choose City as my firm but I want to go to Queen Mary more
If you’d rather go to Queen Mary’s than City then I’d say firm Queen Mary’s. If you made City your firm and you got the grades then you’d be spending the next 3 or so years at a uni you’re not happy at, when you could’ve gone to Queen Mary’s. Have you been accepted by any other unis with lower grade requirements? I would say have Queen Mary’s as your firm and City as insurance :smile:
If Queen Mary is where you want to go to that must be your firm. Your teacher is giving you very poor advice. As far as an insurance choice is concerned that should be your second favourite university. If you dont want to go to city dont put it down. You can go without an insurance and apply through clearing if Queen Mary dont accept you.
Original post by yusr!
so, I got accepted into Queen Mary's and City. I want to go to queen Marys more but they are asking for ABB. City on the other hand is asking for AAB. but I want to choose queen Mary as my firm and city as my safe because I don't really want to go there. so I'm not sure exactly what to do.
I spoke to my teacher and she said I have to choose City as my firm but I want to go to Queen Mary more

Your teacher is not only factually incorrect, but also an idiot. If you want to go to QMUL most then make it your firm.
Reply 4
Put your favourite as your firm. I think your teacher is following the practice of putting the one with higher entry requirements as your firm, but you don't like that uni. You don't 'have to' choose anything you don't want to choose. The final choice is yours. She's not the one who's going to study the course. You are. Put Queen Mary as your firm since it's your favourite.

And as Swansea suggested, if you really don't like City, you can go into clearing if Queen Mary doesn't work out. Start checking for other unis you might like.
Reply 5
thank you.
Original post by nostxlgic
If you’d rather go to Queen Mary’s than City then I’d say firm Queen Mary’s. If you made City your firm and you got the grades then you’d be spending the next 3 or so years at a uni you’re not happy at, when you could’ve gone to Queen Mary’s. Have you been accepted by any other unis with lower grade requirements? I would say have Queen Mary’s as your firm and City as insurance :smile:
Original post by yusr!
City as my safe because I don't really want to go there

Then dont choose anything as your Insurance.

Its perfectly okay to just have a Firm choice - and if you dont get the grades for that in August, then there is Clearing or 'resit and reapply' next year.
Another vote for “your teacher is giving you dreadful advice”.

Your firm should be your most favoured choice, regardless of the grade requirements. They have first refusal of you whether you meet their offer or not, so firming them gives you the best chance of going there.

As above, you don’t need to have any insurance if you don’t have other offers you’d take up. It’s fine to go straight into clearing or take a gap and regroup.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending