The Student Room Group

Possible Reasons on why you might get rejected from Oxbridge?

^^
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Blue_Iris
^^

Have you been rejected? Rather than ask people to post a list of the many reasons you might not be successful, why not post what happened with your application in detail, so someone can give you useful, tailored advice?

Lots of factors go into an application, so it's unlikely to be one thing. Without knowing how far you got through the application process (i.e., did you get to interview?) it's really impossible to say.
Not attending the right school
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
Have you been rejected? Rather than ask people to post a list of the many reasons you might not be successful, why not post what happened with your application in detail, so someone can give you useful, tailored advice?

Lots of factors go into an application, so it's unlikely to be one thing. Without knowing how far you got through the application process (i.e., did you get to interview?) it's really impossible to say.

Nope...
Im yet to apply ( Yr 12), Im trying to avoid mistakes that people may have made and have a greater understanding of all the factors taken into consideration if that makes sense...
Nope...
Im yet to apply ( Yr 12), Im trying to avoid mistakes that people may have made and have a greater understanding of all the factors taken into consideration if that makes sense...

The most likely one is that there are better applicants as most courses are over subscribed. It could be to do with grades, personal statement, choice of subjects.
Nope...

Clearly spoken as someone that hasn't applied and gone through the tough applications process, and doesn't understand how hurtful it can be to be rejected..

Calling them mistakes is just brutal and unnecessary... with these universities there are often just far too many brilliant candidates, they haven't made "mistakes". And even if they did make mistakes they are unlikely to want to share and trivialise them, even often they have done absolutely nothing wrong in the admissions process..
Often it's not one 'mistake' that leads to them not getting an offer
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
Clearly spoken as someone that hasn't applied and gone through the tough applications process, and doesn't understand how hurtful it can be to be rejected..

Calling them mistakes is just brutal and unnecessary... with these universities there are often just far too many brilliant candidates, they haven't made "mistakes". And even if they did make mistakes they are unlikely to want to share and trivialise them, even often they have done absolutely nothing wrong in the admissions process..
Often it's not one 'mistake' that leads to them not getting an offer

Just wanted to clarify that the intention wasnt to hurt or offend anyone and I guess the wording of the comment wasnt appropriate for which i apologise if that makes it any better.
Nope...

It’s not necessarily down to “mistakes”. There is a set of admissions criteria that you have to meet to stand a solid chance of actually getting an offer and this can vary by subject.

I’m a successful reapplicant (for Chemistry at Oxford) - there were definitely mistakes made on both occasions when I applied, but I feel that there were things I did before the second attempt which helped me get in. Since the mistakes were largely made during the interviews and there is a code of conduct that I don’t overly want to breach, I won’t share them.

After getting the rejection the first time, I immediately requested feedback and once I got it, I found that I had underperformed slightly in my interviews and was barely above the average offer holder in terms of the strength of the UCAS application.

I prioritised working on things that would help my problem-solving, critical thinking and capacity to articulate my thoughts clearly. This included getting mock interviews from some Oxbridge graduates, mentoring classmates and answering chemistry questions here on TSR. This definitely made my interview performance this time round more convincing, but it was still far from perfect.

To strengthen my UCAS application and personal statement, I also participated in the 2022 Chemistry Olympiad (even getting into round 2, which I reckon is largely what got me the offer this time round) and took the AEA in mathematics (which is because a strong aptitude for maths forms part of the admissions criteria for chemistry at Oxford).

So although this isn’t what you initially asked, focusing purely on the “don’t’s” when applying to Oxford/Cambridge will not help much when you haven’t necessarily established what you should be doing.
Reply 8
Congratulation to you for successful application in Oxford. I applied the Dphil in chemistry in oxford this year. I submitted the application before 20th JAN. I attended the interview on 1st March. but I still get no messsage from Oxford. I ever sent a email to potential supervisor before, now I WANT to send a second email to ask him the application status. could it be polite to do so?
Reply 9
Original post by TypicalNerd
It’s not necessarily down to “mistakes”. There is a set of admissions criteria that you have to meet to stand a solid chance of actually getting an offer and this can vary by subject.

I’m a successful reapplicant (for Chemistry at Oxford) - there were definitely mistakes made on both occasions when I applied, but I feel that there were things I did before the second attempt which helped me get in. Since the mistakes were largely made during the interviews and there is a code of conduct that I don’t overly want to breach, I won’t share them.

After getting the rejection the first time, I immediately requested feedback and once I got it, I found that I had underperformed slightly in my interviews and was barely above the average offer holder in terms of the strength of the UCAS application.

I prioritised working on things that would help my problem-solving, critical thinking and capacity to articulate my thoughts clearly. This included getting mock interviews from some Oxbridge graduates, mentoring classmates and answering chemistry questions here on TSR. This definitely made my interview performance this time round more convincing, but it was still far from perfect.

To strengthen my UCAS application and personal statement, I also participated in the 2022 Chemistry Olympiad (even getting into round 2, which I reckon is largely what got me the offer this time round) and took the AEA in mathematics (which is because a strong aptitude for maths forms part of the admissions criteria for chemistry at Oxford).

So although this isn’t what you initially asked, focusing purely on the “don’t’s” when applying to Oxford/Cambridge will not help much when you haven’t necessarily established what you should be doing.

Congratulation to you for successful application in Oxford. I applied the Dphil in chemistry in oxford this year. I submitted the application before 20th JAN. I attended the interview on 1st March. but I still get no messsage from Oxford. I ever sent a email to potential supervisor before, now I WANT to send a second email to ask him the application status. could it be polite to do so?
Original post by BorisJackson
Do you want to know the greatest academic fraud in the history of the UK?
The student room and lots of forums/websites are trying to cover up this fraud by strictly reviewing articles and banning accounts.

They reviewed all posts which contain URL links to block the spread of information related to this fraud.
Therefore, URL links should be avoided in my post.

It is so pathetic that the moderation team in The Student Room is helping for covering up this fraud by hiding/reviewing articles and banning accounts.

But you still can know this fraud by the google search.
Please use google search and search by the keywords: 'The most incredible degree fraud in the history of UK'

You can find youtube videos provided by Athena News Ireland.
Please watch those youtube videos and read information mentioned in the section of the comment.

They have banned some accounts of the users who just provided the relevant information.
It is so pathetic that the UK and The Student Room don't care about the right to freedom of speech.

Your post pretty much negates your argument then.
Original post by Anonymous
Your post pretty much negates your argument then.

You can know the truth by google search,
keywords::LSE academic scandal
They have to cover up it because it is related to a president of a regime.
But people will know that in this decade.
They review all posts to block the spread of information related to this fraud
You can also google by keywords: (1) Richardson reports (2) Can One Earn a PhD from LSE without a Thesis?: The Bizarre Story of President Tsai
Original post by Lantern678

You could send a polite email, but I would advise against doing so just in case they see it as impatient and count it against you.

You’ve had your interview and so by now the admissions team most probably have reviewed your application in full and compared it to those of your competitors. It’s just a matter of waiting and seeing what their verdict is.

Good luck.
Original post by Lantern678

Yeah definitely wait, they're busy people and it's only been 3 weeks! To be honest, I can't believe you've emailed them already, they have lots of stuff to do without getting needy and possibly rude emails from people. Sending a second email would definitely be even more detrimental to your application

Quick Reply

Latest