The Student Room Group

GCSE Lit revision

What should I be revising specifically for each subject in English lit? I do Macbeth, A Christmas Carol, An Inspector calls and the Power and Conflict poetry. I know for the first 3 I should be studying characters, themes and motifs but I'm not sure what else to do. And for the poetry, I know I have to do context and quotes and whatnot. But I'm not sure how to actually revise English lit.
Original post by ariekeam
What should I be revising specifically for each subject in English lit? I do Macbeth, A Christmas Carol, An Inspector calls and the Power and Conflict poetry. I know for the first 3 I should be studying characters, themes and motifs but I'm not sure what else to do. And for the poetry, I know I have to do context and quotes and whatnot. But I'm not sure how to actually revise English lit.

It depends what grade you're at, and which parts you find the most challenging. If context is the hardest part for you, revise context more, if it's language, revise language more, etc.

I would recommend making sure that you memorise some quotes from each text for each character, theme, etc. because if I remember right, you don't get given the texts in the exam. Memorising those quotes and how they link to each character and theme should help a fair chunk- if you can get each quote a link, a method, and a contextual link to the point, that should massively help you to get a good grade.

Another really important thing that a lot of people forget to do is actually practising the writing part. You don't have to do whole essays at a time- you could just write one paragraph at a time, get your teacher to look at it once you've collected a few, and then improve on what they tell you to.

I didn't study the same texts as you, so I can't tell you the specific themes, contexts, etc. to revise, but Mr Bruff probably has videos for most of your texts (he definitely has ones for the Power and Conflict poetry).

I hope this helps =)
Reply 2
Original post by spammbo
It depends what grade you're at, and which parts you find the most challenging. If context is the hardest part for you, revise context more, if it's language, revise language more, etc.

I would recommend making sure that you memorise some quotes from each text for each character, theme, etc. because if I remember right, you don't get given the texts in the exam. Memorising those quotes and how they link to each character and theme should help a fair chunk- if you can get each quote a link, a method, and a contextual link to the point, that should massively help you to get a good grade.

Another really important thing that a lot of people forget to do is actually practising the writing part. You don't have to do whole essays at a time- you could just write one paragraph at a time, get your teacher to look at it once you've collected a few, and then improve on what they tell you to.

I didn't study the same texts as you, so I can't tell you the specific themes, contexts, etc. to revise, but Mr Bruff probably has videos for most of your texts (he definitely has ones for the Power and Conflict poetry).

I hope this helps =)

Thank you so much, I'm currently working at grade 7 (from the November mocks, I haven't gotten the recent mock results yet :s-smilie:) so to secure a 9 I think i just need to do what you said and focus more on the things I actually need to do! I'll also start to write some practice questions too, I think that's a really useful tip! I'll definitely check out Mr Bruff too.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond to my question!
Original post by ariekeam

revision tips for macbeth?
Reply 4
Original post by propergoodman
revision tips for macbeth?

For Macbeth, I've been watching Mr Bruff's and Mr Salles' videos on YouTube, they're really good! And also doing practice questions and asking your teachers to grade it is great for seeing the areas you need improving on! I also think just going through all the characters, themes and motifs is a good idea to get the highest grades too (as the question is always on a character or theme).:h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending