The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Stuck between Durham, Bristol or Sheffield for International Business Management.

Durham is more recognised in the UK as well as internationally and the collegiate system is appealing and provides quite the unique uni experience. However, with the housing crisis I'm worried how this will affect me later on trying to get accommodation for second year.

Sheffield has options to complete both a placement and year abroad, which Durham does not, although I feel as though Durham or Bristol would look better for future employers. Wondering if going to Sheffield and gaining the experience of being abroad for a year as well as placement would give me a similar edge?

Naturally rankings don’t matter too much and Sheffield is still a RG, however I am conscious of not going to Bristol or Durham. I'd like to have the option of working outside the UK or working in the finance sector in London.
At the end of the day, employers value a 1st class degree at a any RG uni more than a 2nd class degree at one of the more esteemed RG unis, so if you think you are more likely to get one at Sheffield I would say go there, rather than focusing on Durham and Bristol’s prestige. I am currently applying for a different course and used to dream of Durham but now that I have an offer from there I think I will go to Bristol as I prefer the city and student life there. Essentially, I would discourage you from going to a uni just because it ‘sounds better’, there are many reasons to go to Durham, but if you like features that Sheffield has which Durham doesn’t, I would suggest Sheffield. Also, I’ve heard from friends that they love/hate the colleges as they are quite cliquey and boarding school-esque.
Hope this helped
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I have one son studying at Durham and one in Sheffield. Re housing, accommodation in the 1st yr was £6500 Sheffield and £8000 Durham -catered. So although Durham was more he had the convenience of all meals provided, and no food to buy, so probably evened itself out. For the 2nd Yr Sheffield was £145 Inc bills , and Durham next yr will be £165 without bills, but given how costs have gone up everywhere I guess Sheffield will be more for next yr (son is doing placement so accommodation for next yr is not needed). Durham is more prestigious than Sheffield, but both good Uni's. Sheffield was Durham sons insurance choice. Whilst Durham is more prestigious than Sheffield, if you think the course in Sheffield is better, then you need to weigh up what you want. The college system in Durham is its unique selling point, so supportive, so much to do, balls, formal dinners, events, clubs, societies...the social life is great, so much so that son no 1 wished he had worked harder so he could have gone to Durham!!. My son doesn't find his college cliquey at all, he is at Trevs, known as the friendly college, and that is how he has found it.
Original post by Anonymous
Durham is more recognised in the UK as well as internationally and the collegiate system is appealing and provides quite the unique uni experience. However, with the housing crisis I'm worried how this will affect me later on trying to get accommodation for second year.

Sheffield has options to complete both a placement and year abroad, which Durham does not, although I feel as though Durham or Bristol would look better for future employers. Wondering if going to Sheffield and gaining the experience of being abroad for a year as well as placement would give me a similar edge?

Naturally rankings don’t matter too much and Sheffield is still a RG, however I am conscious of not going to Bristol or Durham. I'd like to have the option of working outside the UK or working in the finance sector in London.

Hi there

Before I advise you, I would like to seek some clarification on your query. You've mentioned your course is International Business Management which is a 1-year master's course at Durham. Is this the course you'll be studying because I cannot see a course with the same title at the undergrad level?

If it's indeed the master's course, then I don't see why housing in second year would be a problem for you since it's just a one-year full time course. As for a work placement, I can see on the course page that there is an option to undertake a business project or placement which allows you to get work experience and apply your skills in practice. There are dedicated faculty placement managers who you can approach at the university alongside loads of support from the careers department throughout the application process and beyond. As for international opportunities, you can go on the optional International Study Tour to a European destination in March/April (note that this is self-funded). As you've rightly mentioned, ranking does not matter to employers. It's more about what you make of the opportunities available at whichever institution you go to and the skills you learn through work experience or anything else get involved in. There are various other reasons you may decide to come to Durham including the college system and the entailing two-tier support, faculty expertise, extra-curriculars, career opportunities and support after graduation and much more. I'm currently in my second year of studying law and have gotten involved in a lot of what I've just mentioned. Durham puts a real focus on extracurriculars sports, drama, music, volunteering and you can get involved both at the college and university level. Colleges and the Maiden Castle Sports Centre offer subsidised gym memberships as well. On the academic side of things, the careers support is truly incredible and there are part-time work opportunities within uni departments which are a super flexible way of getting work experience and learning transferrable skills. I'm an intern within the careers department and being on the other side of the table has made me realise how much the people there want students to engage with work experience opportunities and the effort that goes into liaising with employers to bring them on campus, arrange events tailored to different industries, workshops, careers appointments and much more. So again, there is loads of support available on the careers front.

-Himieka

Quick Reply

Latest