The Student Room Group

UK born but rejected for student finance 22/23

Hi

I was rejected for student finance for my BSc degree for the 2022/2023 academic year. I am currently in my 1st year, which has been financed by my parents, but I am loathe to have to ask them again for 2023/2024 for my 2nd year of a 4 year BSc Hons degree.

My story: I was born in the UK in 2002, have a british passport and both my parents are british citizens. I lived and went to school here from birth until 2011 when my parents divorced and my mother took me to live outside of the EU (I had no choice in the matter and was a minor) until my return on a permanent basis in October 2021 when I was 19 years old and an adult. I have regularly (yearly) returned to the UK for holidays during the period I was out of the UK to visit my father who is resident in the UK. My permanent residence is in the UK since 2021. It would have been since 2020 but Covid prevented me from returning to the UK.

My University has deemed me to be a Home Student, and I pay the Home Student fees.

I find it difficult to understand why I was rejected ( I had no notification of the reason why) for student finance for 2022/2023 as I am a british subject, yet EU students as well as refugees etc can get student finance in the UK despite not being a UK subject or being born here - it's patently unfair???

Help please
Original post by MKKquandry
Hi

I was rejected for student finance for my BSc degree for the 2022/2023 academic year. I am currently in my 1st year, which has been financed by my parents, but I am loathe to have to ask them again for 2023/2024 for my 2nd year of a 4 year BSc Hons degree.

My story: I was born in the UK in 2002, have a british passport and both my parents are british citizens. I lived and went to school here from birth until 2011 when my parents divorced and my mother took me to live outside of the EU (I had no choice in the matter and was a minor) until my return on a permanent basis in October 2021 when I was 19 years old and an adult. I have regularly (yearly) returned to the UK for holidays during the period I was out of the UK to visit my father who is resident in the UK. My permanent residence is in the UK since 2021. It would have been since 2020 but Covid prevented me from returning to the UK.

My University has deemed me to be a Home Student, and I pay the Home Student fees.

I find it difficult to understand why I was rejected ( I had no notification of the reason why) for student finance for 2022/2023 as I am a british subject, yet EU students as well as refugees etc can get student finance in the UK despite not being a UK subject or being born here - it's patently unfair???

Help please

Hi there, I would advise to contact us via Live Chat or the helpline on 0300 100 0607 and the team can look into this for you. Thanks, Karen
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Karen
Hi there, I would advise to contact us via Live Chat or the helpline on 0300 100 0607 and the team can look into this for you. Thanks, Karen

Hi Karen

Thanks your quick reply - I will do so.
Original post by MKKquandry
Hi Karen

Thanks your quick reply - I will do so.

If you have any further queries at anytime then do let us know or you can use the other platforms Karen has advised above.

Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest