The Student Room Group

How many weeks should I split my budget by?

I'm going for comics and graphic novels at Teesside Uni and I'm trying to budget my loan for food, bills etc for the first year. It's been years since I've been in education and I can't find the info on the site and I don't get all the semester date stuff.

If the uni calendar page says there's a 'break' is that like...part of it? Am I factoring holidays and the entire year into it? Someone said most courses are ten weeks, someone else said 15.

I'm not wonderful with numbers to start with but I'm really lost here
Original post by spicysosig
I'm going for comics and graphic novels at Teesside Uni and I'm trying to budget my loan for food, bills etc for the first year. It's been years since I've been in education and I can't find the info on the site and I don't get all the semester date stuff.

If the uni calendar page says there's a 'break' is that like...part of it? Am I factoring holidays and the entire year into it? Someone said most courses are ten weeks, someone else said 15.

You are right to be confused - the web page you are talking could be a lot simpler. I think your terms will run as follows:

18 Sept - 18 Dec 2023 = 13 weeks
5 Jan - 24 March 2024 = 11 weeks
12 April - 20 May 2024 = 5-6 weeks

Or 35 weeks including holidays from 18 Sep until 20 May.

However, it does say 'You should check with your course leader for the specific semester dates applying to your course'. So i'd recommend you do that. I'm also tagging the @Teesside University rep to see if they can confirm term dates.

This is a great website for calculating days, weeks, months, etc. between specific dates.

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by spicysosig

Hi,

Congratulations on your offer to study comics and graphic novels, you must be really excited!

In terms of the semester dates for starting this September 2023/2024 are as follows:

2023-24 semester dates
Welcome week: 18-22 September 2023

Semester 1: 25 September 2023 - 19 January 2024
Semester 2: 22 January - 17 May 2024
Semester 3: 20 May 23 August 2024

Holiday dates for standard undergraduate students

Winter break: 18 December 2023 - 5 January 2024
Spring break: 25 March - 12 April 2024
Summer break: 20 May - 20 September 2024

You can find out more here - https://www.tees.ac.uk/sections/stud/semesterdates.cfm

Hopefully this can help you out with your budgeting :smile:

Let me know if this helps, if you have any other questions let me know and I can help!

Good luck,
T
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Teesside University

2023-24 semester dates
Welcome week: 18-22 September 2023

Semester 1: 25 September 2023 - 19 January 2024
Semester 2: 22 January - 17 May 2024
Semester 3: 20 May 23 August 2024

I think the information you have given is what the OP (and I) had already found. Unnecessarily complicated don't you think? Most unis just show the dates students are expected to be in.
Hi,

These dates below are your holidays:

Therefore, the other dates that fall before and after this are the dates you are in on campus.

Semester 1: 18 September 2023 - 18 December 2023
Semester 2: 22 January 2024 - 17 May 2024. Spring break is within this time (25 March - 12 April).

However, you would still need to budget for holidays when you are not on campus as Student Finance England pay your loan in three instalments, so we would recommend considering budgeting over holidays too.

Hope this helps make things clearer!

T :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending