The Student Room Group

english help pls!! (macbeth ,inspectorcalls chirstams carol + poetry)

hi could someone please lay out how i should revise english for example how many quotes in macbeth should i revise and what do i do for themes / carachter analysis. also with poetry what should i actually memorise
Reply 1
Hi! I'd suggest making some sort of poster of all the characters and just doing a little description of them, how significant their character is, why, like for example with Macbeth discuss his fatal flaw (i think its called hamartia? dont quote me on that i didnt actually do my gcse exams just the mocks because of covid, but im an english literature alevel student currently!). Do a few quotes of things he says, or of how other characters describe him. I'd say aim for a couple quotes for each significant character (maybe 5?? however many you think you can remember and which you think you'd have a lot to write about, and make sure they're easy to remember! even if its only a few words!)
For themes and motifs, list all the things you think are important, for example deception or the dagger, and again find a few quotes to back up that evidence as to why they are significant, like when Macbeth says 'is this a dagger i see before me?' or whatever it is he says, again its been like 2 years since ive done it my memories a little rusty lol.
Make sure you 100% know how the play roles out, maybe make a storyboard? just quick silly stickmen of a summary of what happens so you know the order of events

To remember quotes, a way that works for me is saying them in a way ill remember (like emphasising a specific word or literally acting it out in a over the top dramatic way, just like how you'd remember lines of a show/movie, or play or musical if you've seen/heard it enough times, your more likely to remember it because of hearing it said in a specific way). You could go onto youtube and find clips of the plays maybe and try remember how the actors say specific lines? Maybe theres something really dramatic, or even funny about the way they say it that you'll remember - for me this methods works much better than flashcards, but obviously it'll be whatever works personally for you!

A good site to use is litcharts for english! Its got quotes, character stuff, themes etc, as well as sparknotes and cliffnotes (the last 2 are the more known ones, theres probably more information there). Seneca may also have some questions where you fill in the blanks of quotes and stuff?

For poetry, again just try remember lines and general themes of the poem, for example nature etc. Why did they write the poem? whats the point they're getting across? If the poem is about nature for example, are they writing just because they appriaciate nature? Or are they criticing mankind for not appreciating it and destroying it through industrialisation, pollution etc.? How has the poet done this what techniques have they use? Alliteration? Rhetorical questions to make the reader think and recongise the point the poet is making?

For christmas carol, the only thing i remember doing is reading the book and watching the film multiple times.. so i suggest just watching the different adaptations of the films and remembering the recognising the memorable quotes that are in the books e.g. the thing about Marley being 'as dead as a doorknob' or whatever he says i honestly cannot remember

In english the main question you gotta ask youself is why the writer/poet does stuff - for example, why did i choose this damn subject? (obviously a joke, i love english...most of the time)

If you use the SQUID method to structure your paragraphs thats were the D comes in, Describe the effect on the reader, why'd they want the reader to feel that way? waht effect did the writer want the reader to have etc

I hope your exams go well, good luck! If you have any more questions or need help i'll try my best! (:
Reply 2
Original post by loulai_
Hi! I'd suggest making some sort of poster of all the characters and just doing a little description of them, how significant their character is, why, like for example with Macbeth discuss his fatal flaw (i think its called hamartia? dont quote me on that i didnt actually do my gcse exams just the mocks because of covid, but im an english literature alevel student currently!). Do a few quotes of things he says, or of how other characters describe him. I'd say aim for a couple quotes for each significant character (maybe 5?? however many you think you can remember and which you think you'd have a lot to write about, and make sure they're easy to remember! even if its only a few words!)
For themes and motifs, list all the things you think are important, for example deception or the dagger, and again find a few quotes to back up that evidence as to why they are significant, like when Macbeth says 'is this a dagger i see before me?' or whatever it is he says, again its been like 2 years since ive done it my memories a little rusty lol.
Make sure you 100% know how the play roles out, maybe make a storyboard? just quick silly stickmen of a summary of what happens so you know the order of events

To remember quotes, a way that works for me is saying them in a way ill remember (like emphasising a specific word or literally acting it out in a over the top dramatic way, just like how you'd remember lines of a show/movie, or play or musical if you've seen/heard it enough times, your more likely to remember it because of hearing it said in a specific way). You could go onto youtube and find clips of the plays maybe and try remember how the actors say specific lines? Maybe theres something really dramatic, or even funny about the way they say it that you'll remember - for me this methods works much better than flashcards, but obviously it'll be whatever works personally for you!

A good site to use is litcharts for english! Its got quotes, character stuff, themes etc, as well as sparknotes and cliffnotes (the last 2 are the more known ones, theres probably more information there). Seneca may also have some questions where you fill in the blanks of quotes and stuff?

For poetry, again just try remember lines and general themes of the poem, for example nature etc. Why did they write the poem? whats the point they're getting across? If the poem is about nature for example, are they writing just because they appriaciate nature? Or are they criticing mankind for not appreciating it and destroying it through industrialisation, pollution etc.? How has the poet done this what techniques have they use? Alliteration? Rhetorical questions to make the reader think and recongise the point the poet is making?

For christmas carol, the only thing i remember doing is reading the book and watching the film multiple times.. so i suggest just watching the different adaptations of the films and remembering the recognising the memorable quotes that are in the books e.g. the thing about Marley being 'as dead as a doorknob' or whatever he says i honestly cannot remember

In english the main question you gotta ask youself is why the writer/poet does stuff - for example, why did i choose this damn subject? (obviously a joke, i love english...most of the time)

If you use the SQUID method to structure your paragraphs thats were the D comes in, Describe the effect on the reader, why'd they want the reader to feel that way? waht effect did the writer want the reader to have etc

I hope your exams go well, good luck! If you have any more questions or need help i'll try my best! (:

thank you soso much!!! that was really helpful and yep if i have any questions ill defo ask (:

Quick Reply

Latest