The Student Room Group

Maintaining temperature....

Ok...so in my AS Biology Coursework, I need to maintain the temperature of some test tubes (I'm only writing up a plan, I don't have to carry it out).

How would I maintain the temperature at about 45 degrees? My friend said about a water bath but I don't really understand how they work or if that would be feasible for A-Level Biology.

(Even though we're not carrying the experiment out, the plan is supposed to be realistic - in another part of it, I wrote about using liquid hydrogen and have to change it because apparently thats ridiculous, lol :biggrin: )

Anyway, any help would be really appreciated - I hope I explained it properly

Thanx
Reply 1
Water bath is good.

Put the tubes in a big beaker of water that is sitting on a tripod over a bunsen burner. Put a thermometer in the water and keep the temperature of the water at 45 by removing and replacing the bunsen burner as required. (Remember also, to include a period of time for the test tubes to get to the required temperature once you put them in)
animaluvva
Ok...so in my AS Biology Coursework, I need to maintain the temperature of some test tubes (I'm only writing up a plan, I don't have to carry it out).

How would I maintain the temperature at about 45 degrees? My friend said about a water bath but I don't really understand how they work or if that would be feasible for A-Level Biology.

(Even though we're not carrying the experiment out, the plan is supposed to be realistic - in another part of it, I wrote about using liquid hydrogen and have to change it because apparently thats ridiculous, lol :biggrin: )

Anyway, any help would be really appreciated - I hope I explained it properly

Thanx

For my AS Biology cwk, I had to see wat effect temperature has on ezyme activity and I had to keep the test tubes at a constant temperature, for example 45 degrees. We used water baths. They work by keeping a constant temperature. You have to leave them in the water baths for about 5 minutes to adjust to the temperature though.

Liquid hydrogen? In a school. I would have thought another liquid would be better
Reply 3
thank you so much for the quick responses!!!!

The liquid hydrogen was for changing PH Level but my teacher said I should add actual acids and alkalis instead, lol

Thanx again :smile:
animaluvva
thank you so much for the quick responses!!!!

The liquid hydrogen was for changing PH Level but my teacher said I should add actual acids and alkalis instead, lol

Thanx again :smile:

Why nt use HCl or NaOH?
Reply 5
I'm not sure...that would be a better idea, I'd guess!

Thanx for that :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending