The Student Room Group

weight

hi,
im a girl 5’2 and i weight somewhere around 55kg-57kg & would like to lose weight
im quite new to the gym stuff and i’ve been going recently and this is what i do:
treadmill 20 minutes walking 4mph (fast for me because my legs are quite short)
cycle 20 minutes resistance level 6
the running machine 20 minutes resistance level 6 where you kinda peddle ? idk what it’s called sorry
leg press 3 set of 15
chest press 3 set of 15
abdominal press ? 3 set of 15
then treadmill 10 minutes again

overall i would like to lose weight but idk the way to go around it, im not sure if im building muscle rather than losing weight

also i have another question, if i eat more calories than i usually do but do more cardio etc, would i burn those extra calories or would i gain more muscle ?

has anyonegot any advice ?

thank you
Reply 1
Original post by hannahco
hi,
im a girl 5’2 and i weight somewhere around 55kg-57kg & would like to lose weight
im quite new to the gym stuff and i’ve been going recently and this is what i do:
treadmill 20 minutes walking 4mph (fast for me because my legs are quite short)
cycle 20 minutes resistance level 6
the running machine 20 minutes resistance level 6 where you kinda peddle ? idk what it’s called sorry
leg press 3 set of 15
chest press 3 set of 15
abdominal press ? 3 set of 15
then treadmill 10 minutes again

overall i would like to lose weight but idk the way to go around it, im not sure if im building muscle rather than losing weight

also i have another question, if i eat more calories than i usually do but do more cardio etc, would i burn those extra calories or would i gain more muscle ?

has anyonegot any advice ?

thank you

You do not need to lose any weight your BMI is in the "healthy" range, so losing much may put you in the "underweight" range. There are many risks associated with being underweight (as well as generally not eating enough and doing too much exercise), including fatigue, impaired immune system, hair/skin/nail problems, bone problems and injuries etc., as well as potentially serious consequences such as organ failure and even death.

Instead I think it would be better to focus on your overall fitness and feeling strong, and (most importantly) enjoyment of exercise, rather than forcing yourself to do things to achieve certain numbers. It will be much more beneficial to your overall health both now and in the future (including being more sustainable), and both physically and mentally.

Don't be afraid of building muscle! More muscle = more power :smile:

The number on the scale does not define you, and if you are healthy (as you seem to be) the specifics don't really matter. There is so much more to life than being x kg or clothes size n.

Spoiler

And:

Spoiler

TL;DR: you don't need to lose any weight, focus more on fitness and strength and HAPPINESS :smile:

And some general advice:

Spoiler

(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest