The Student Room Group

Gender Change

I am a girl but I am thinking about changing my identity to a boy through surgery. I want to know if I am making the right decision but honestly I just want support.
Reply 1
Original post by BeYourSelf
I am a girl but I am thinking about changing my identity to a boy through surgery. I want to know if I am making the right decision but honestly I just want support

Hi, i don't know if this helps but it just generally depends y u want the surgery , consider the pros and cons and if its really worth that waste of money for your happiness , being a tomboy is an option and there's nothing wrong if the society doesn't support you just do good things that make you happy , if its something you find morally right then go ahead , in all think hard about it before you do it .
Original post by BeYourSelf
I am a girl but I am thinking about changing my identity to a boy through surgery. I want to know if I am making the right decision but honestly I just want support.

I've moved your thread to a more appropriate place in the forums. In future, please check if there might be a more suitable place for your thread. Thank you. :smile:

I don't have experience with this, but generally from what I see, people transition because they've felt like they were meant to be the other sex all of their lives. They've always felt a sense of dysphoria and even occasionally dressed in the other sex's stereotypical clothes from a very young age.

It's good to really think about whether you've felt this way all of your life, or if it's due to outside messages influencing your decision. For example, it's okay to be a girl but have male orientated interests. It's also okay to like other girls without feeling like you must've been a boy. You can also be a girl but without needing to fall in line with female orientated stereotypes like wearing make-up/heels. So you can be your sex, but not have to conform to society's messages about what each sex should do and how they should behave. That's when gender identity and sexuality come into play.

It's important to point out that gender and sex aren't the same thing, as I noticed you wrote 'gender' change in your title. Gender is your social identity and how you choose to identify. This is when people may say that they're non-binary or identify as something else. There are hundreds of social identities and genders. Sex is the biological difference between male and females, the XY and XX chromosomes. People are born either one or the other, except for the very rare instances of people who are born intersex; with parts or all of the male and female genitalia.

If you're under 18, then I'm not sure it's a good decision to make whilst you're still growing and figuring yourself out. It's definitely something you can further explore when you're an adult, but I don't think it's wise to focus on it too much when you're young. It's a big change, one that you often can't go back on entirely if you start hormones and affects many aspects of your life.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest