The Student Room Group

Can you fail the DofE Bronze qualifying expedition?

I lost a compass while doing the expedition. I managed to borrow a spare compass from another group, but I didn't tell the assessor yet that I have lost one. I completed the expedition anyways, but I have to return the compass as it is from school. Does losing your compass in the middle of the expedition make you get disqualified for DofE Bronze?
Original post by kate07ppl
I lost a compass while doing the expedition. I managed to borrow a spare compass from another group, but I didn't tell the assessor yet that I have lost one. I completed the expedition anyways, but I have to return the compass as it is from school. Does losing your compass in the middle of the expedition make you get disqualified for DofE Bronze?

Yes, you can fail the expedition, meaning you would have to re-do it. For example, if you use a mapping app on your phone to navigate (rather than a paper map and compass), or if you take a bus for part of the journey, or cheat in some other way.

However, I wouldn't have thought that losing a school compass would constitute a fail. Unless, perhaps, it was lost because two of you were throwing it back and forth to each other across a stream and it fell in. As long as the loss was a genuine accident, I think you'll be fine. Personally, I'd gave thought that you deserve credit for having resolved the situation by borrowing one from another group. (Was there a reason you own group didn't have a spare compass, by the way?)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending