The Student Room Group

Can I reject UCAS firm choice after meeting the conditions

Background info: I'm a Hong Kong citizen and I already hold a conditional offer for medicine in both HKU and CUHK. My current IB predicted grades is 45. Because both HKU and CUHK have the condition of IB 43 which is really high and there is a chance that I might not get those grades, I applied to some UK medical schools as well. Currently, I have received a conditional offer from UCL, IB 39, which is quite manageable. I expect to receive probably one or two more offers from the UK.

My priority is to study medicine in HK. Suppose I get > IB 43 as my final grade (thereby meeting both conditions in HK and in the UK), can I decline my firm conditional choice in UCAS to pursue medicine in HK? Or am I obliged to study in my firm choice once I meet the conditions?
Original post by Ronnie0209
Background info: I'm a Hong Kong citizen and I already hold a conditional offer for medicine in both HKU and CUHK. My current IB predicted grades is 45. Because both HKU and CUHK have the condition of IB 43 which is really high and there is a chance that I might not get those grades, I applied to some UK medical schools as well. Currently, I have received a conditional offer from UCL, IB 39, which is quite manageable. I expect to receive probably one or two more offers from the UK.

My priority is to study medicine in HK. Suppose I get > IB 43 as my final grade (thereby meeting both conditions in HK and in the UK), can I decline my firm conditional choice in UCAS to pursue medicine in HK? Or am I obliged to study in my firm choice once I meet the conditions?

Yes, you can decline to take up a confirmed place.

The only stage at which things get a bit more formal is enrolling at the uni. In most cases that would make you liable for some or all of your first years tuition fees.

Even if you meet the offer in full and are made unconditional, you can still just choose not to attend. The only other issue is accommodation, as depending on whether it is uni managed or private, you may have put down a non-refundable deposit by the point your IB results are known.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending