The Student Room Group

A level biology help

Hi there , I’m really stuck on the maths for microscopy in a level biology and don’t understand where I’m going wrong . Any help would be much appreciated. :smile:.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by 15katiesmith
Hi there , I’m really stuck on the maths for microscopy in a level biology and don’t understand where I’m going wrong . Any help would be much appreciated. :smile:.

Think about the maximum resolution and magnifications of each microscope. In this case, you got magnification.

Magnification is x3500 so by my understanding, it’s an electron microscope but because it’s a-level biology, you need to state whether its TEM or SEM. In this case, I think it’s TEM because it’s a 2D black and white image with a high magnification.
Original post by JA03
Think about the maximum resolution and magnifications of each microscope. In this case, you got magnification.

Magnification is x3500 so by my understanding, it’s an electron microscope but because it’s a-level biology, you need to state whether its TEM or SEM. In this case, I think it’s TEM because it’s a 2D black and white image with a high magnification.

Hi , thank you so much for your response . It was the part above that I attempted which I got wrong though. I got the same magnification as you said but I don’t really get why my final volume is wrong :smile:
Original post by 15katiesmith
Hi , thank you so much for your response . It was the part above that I attempted which I got wrong though. I got the same magnification as you said but I don’t really get why my final volume is wrong :smile:

I think you didn’t use the scale in to convert 9.1cm into micrometers before using the equation.
14mm = 4micrometers
scale that to 91mm which is 6.5x bigger.
4 x 6.5 = 26micrometers.
then use the volume equation.

Quick Reply

Latest