The Student Room Group

Cambridge University - GPA - American Student

I'm curious how much the GPA would matter for my application as an American Student to Cambridge? I have a 3.90/4 unweighted right now and I'm not sure how much they look at individual classes.
Reply 1
Original post by Parzi145
I'm curious how much the GPA would matter for my application as an American Student to Cambridge? I have a 3.90/4 unweighted right now and I'm not sure how much they look at individual classes.

Cambridge University website states that a GPA average of 3.7 is the minimum requirement for application so I’d say you stand a pretty good chance. Someone else has made How to get into Cambridge: A guide for US students and says high AP exam and standardised test scores
Reply 2
Original post by Feeb_05
Cambridge University website states that a GPA average of 3.7 is the minimum requirement for application so I’d say you stand a pretty good chance. Someone else has made How to get into Cambridge: A guide for US students and says high AP exam and standardised test scores

Thank you! I know that it requires high AP and standardised test scores but I'm not sure to what extent. I have 3 AP 5s in Chemistry, Biology, and US History and I'm planning to get 3 more in Environmental Science, BC Calculus, and Physics I this year. Would I need more beyond the 4 science and 1 math APs? On the website it states the natural science course is really only interested in relevant APs so I'm not sure if I need more 5s in say economics.

Also - do they care about Superscores vs individual ACT scores? The college rep I emailed didn't seem to know the difference or even what a superscore was.
Reply 3
Thank you! I know that it requires high AP and standardised test scores but I'm not sure to what extent. I have 3 AP 5s in Chemistry, Biology, and US History and I'm planning to get 3 more in Environmental Science, BC Calculus, and Physics I this year. Would I need more beyond the 4 science and 1 math APs? On the website it states the natural science course is really only interested in relevant APs so I'm not sure if I need more 5s in say economics.

Also - do they care about Superscores vs individual ACT scores? The college rep I emailed didn't seem to know the difference or even what a superscore was.

If the college rep didn’t know the difference then I’m sure that it doesn’t play a huge role. The website says for most science courses a composite score of at least 33 out of 36 is required as an equivalent to the SAT reasoning test
Reply 4

When discussing AP scores it wants five test scores all at a score of 5 takes within two years of application
Reply 5
Original post by Feeb_05
When discussing AP scores it wants five test scores all at a score of 5 takes within two years of application

I have a 34 from on test with 36 English, 35 Math, 34 Reading, and 32 Science, so I retook and superscored just for science, got a 34 and I now average out to a 35. If I submitted my tests would my low initial science score matter?

Also, I know that the international requirements say that they require them to be within 2 years of applying, but that makes my AP Biology score invali - though I believe the exect wording is "preferred". I don't know how to replace it because all of my other tests are social science and thus would not fit in as well. Again, I've emailed them on this and haven't recieved a solid answer as to whether or not the scores would be taken or not. Does having many more than 5 AP 5s help your case a lot?
Reply 6
I have a 34 from on test with 36 English, 35 Math, 34 Reading, and 32 Science, so I retook and superscored just for science, got a 34 and I now average out to a 35. If I submitted my tests would my low initial science score matter?

Also, I know that the international requirements say that they require them to be within 2 years of applying, but that makes my AP Biology score invali - though I believe the exect wording is "preferred". I don't know how to replace it because all of my other tests are social science and thus would not fit in as well. Again, I've emailed them on this and haven't recieved a solid answer as to whether or not the scores would be taken or not. Does having many more than 5 AP 5s help your case a lot?

I’m unsure on whether having many more would assist you in any way. Most unis I have applied to (as a home applicant) as my course requires interview (all Cambridge courses require interview) they set the band for interview invites as anyone that is below the minimum gets instantly rejected then they would disregard the academics after that and then weigh up my personal statement to give interviews.
I know for US students however they rely very heavily on academics as there are very very few successful US applicants so making yourself stand out academically will definitely be helpful in securing interview for the course.
Reply 7
Original post by Feeb_05
I’m unsure on whether having many more would assist you in any way. Most unis I have applied to (as a home applicant) as my course requires interview (all Cambridge courses require interview) they set the band for interview invites as anyone that is below the minimum gets instantly rejected then they would disregard the academics after that and then weigh up my personal statement to give interviews.
I know for US students however they rely very heavily on academics as there are very very few successful US applicants so making yourself stand out academically will definitely be helpful in securing interview for the course.

Thanks so much for the information. Do you have any idea what the order of importance is in terms of ACT, GPA, AP scores, the NSAA, References, personal statement, in terms of qualifying for an interview? I know its just a bare minimum but I feel pretty confident I can pull a solid score in the NSAA after preparing for a few months - how much would that help?
Reply 8
Thanks so much for the information. Do you have any idea what the order of importance is in terms of ACT, GPA, AP scores, the NSAA, References, personal statement, in terms of qualifying for an interview? I know its just a bare minimum but I feel pretty confident I can pull a solid score in the NSAA after preparing for a few months - how much would that help?

I believe for UK students it’s weighted on both but I believe that for US I read it is more important to focus on your academics to get them as high as possible as obviously they let less US students in so they want the best of the best academically speaking.
Obviously don’t make that worsen the effort you put into you personal statement but they probably heavily weigh you by academics first so to stand the best chance you wanna get them as high as possible to be in the top % of those applying.
Reply 9
Original post by Feeb_05
I believe for UK students it’s weighted on both but I believe that for US I read it is more important to focus on your academics to get them as high as possible as obviously they let less US students in so they want the best of the best academically speaking.
Obviously don’t make that worsen the effort you put into you personal statement but they probably heavily weigh you by academics first so to stand the best chance you wanna get them as high as possible to be in the top % of those applying.

I guess I'll have to just do my best to line up what I can, thank you for the info!

Just curious, do you think that AP scores outside of my subject area of application will matter?
Reply 10
I guess I'll have to just do my best to line up what I can, thank you for the info!

Just curious, do you think that AP scores outside of my subject area of application will matter?

I think they might help to strengthen your application. As obviously there’s only a limited number that apply to your subject area.

Quick Reply

Latest