The Student Room Group

Scholarships

Does anyone know of any scholarships that are worth applying to? Or any good websites to find them on?

I'm a second year comp sci student (not an international student - based in UK) and whenever I try look into scholarships to apply for they always seem to be for other universities only and can be quite ambiguous; it's difficult - so I'd appreciate any advice!
Original post by Bean_cat
Does anyone know of any scholarships that are worth applying to? Or any good websites to find them on?

I'm a second year comp sci student (not an international student - based in UK) and whenever I try look into scholarships to apply for they always seem to be for other universities only and can be quite ambiguous; it's difficult - so I'd appreciate any advice!

Scholarships cost someone real money so they tend to be quite carefully targeted. They get used for things like attracting really outstanding students, rewarding top academic performance by a current student, supporting students from disadvantaged backgrounds that might not otherwise go to university, and allowing international students to study in the UK and take the skills they gain back home to the befit of their community.

This means that scholarships are typically both competitive and they have very specific targets they want candidates to hit. They generally don’t tend to be aimed at a student part way through a course apart from a few university specific “reward the top 2 people in the cohort” kind of things.

If you want to find out about accessing “extra” funding as distinct from a competitive scholarship, then universities do often have hardship funds or similar for students having financial problems.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Scholarships cost someone real money so they tend to be quite carefully targeted. They get used for things like attracting really outstanding students, rewarding top academic performance by a current student, supporting students from disadvantaged backgrounds that might not otherwise go to university, and allowing international students to study in the UK and take the skills they gain back home to the befit of their community.

This means that scholarships are typically both competitive and they have very specific targets they want candidates to hit. They generally don’t tend to be aimed at a student part way through a course apart from a few university specific “reward the top 2 people in the cohort” kind of things.

If you want to find out about accessing “extra” funding as distinct from a competitive scholarship, then universities do often have hardship funds or similar for students having financial problems.

Thanks for your response and honestly I do agree with you. I only began looking into this when my university were doing a really specific one for our course; it was only then that i began looking into other scholarships out of interest. I'm not facing any financial hardships or anything, I'm working during my degree and am doing quite well, but just felt that I should look into scholarships for the sake of it. there's no harm in applying and they are useful, so i just thought why not? As you've mentioned the ones I did find were very different - but I'm glad that I've at least looked into this - thanks for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest