The Student Room Group

railcard

Shall I buy a railcard? I study in London and am not sure if I need to buy a railcard since I would like to travel in UK at weekends and holidays. What kind of railcard should I buy? Can anyone give any advice?
If you keep on traveling whether it's leisure or school, then better get a railcard since there's a discount or you can save up compared to getting tickets every time.
@Sylviaaaa

It depends how often you want to travel outside of London.

If you book early for train tickets (2-3 weeks in advance) you can get cheap train tickets without having a railcard, but tickets are cheaper with a railcard.

You can find out about the best railcard to get here.

Happy travelling,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by Sylviaaaa
Shall I buy a railcard? I study in London and am not sure if I need to buy a railcard since I would like to travel in UK at weekends and holidays. What kind of railcard should I buy? Can anyone give any advice?

Hi @Sylviaaaa

If you are under 25, I would absolutely recommend getting a 16-25 railcard- I will have saved well over £300 thanks to railcards in my time at uni! Often people recommend getting one free through certain student bank accounts or using tesco clubcard points (this is what I did), but actually even if you just buy one normally, I'd still say it's worth it. For £30 you get 1/3 of train travel for a year. For me, I am originally from the south, so I get more than my moneys worth back just from one return ticket home from uni, but even for you, you could easily save this back. Money is often the biggest barrier to fun experiences as a student, so any opportunities to save are always appreciated! Weekend trips around the UK are always fun, especially if you have friends at university/ working in different cities:smile:

I hope this helps, good luck with starting uni!
Yasmin (Lancaster University student ambassador)
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @Sylviaaaa

If you are under 25, I would absolutely recommend getting a 16-25 railcard-

Note that full-time students over the age of 25 are also entitled to a 16-25 railcard.

From the Ts&Cs at https://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/help/railcard-terms-conditions/ :

4.1. You must be aged between 16 and 25 years old to purchase this Railcard, unless you qualify under condition 4.3.

4.3. If you are a full-time student over 25 years old, you may purchase the 1-year Railcard with valid proof of full time study. See 16-25railcard.co.uk/maturestudents for details of the valid proof required.

For £30 you get 1/3 of train travel for a year.

Note that there are exceptions -- not all tickets are eligible for the discount, and minimum fares can apply at certain times.

Hey @Sylviaaaa

If you are going to be travelling a lot, then I recommend that you invest in a railcard! They usually save you about 1/3 off train tickets - so if you regularly travel, it is definitely worth it. The year pass costs £30 but you can buy 3 years for £70 I believe. I have honestly saved hundreds of pounds over the last few years from having a railcard.

Here is the website for railcard information: https://www.railcard.co.uk/

If you are considering opening a student bank account, some banks have special perks. Check out Santander’s offer: https://www.santander.co.uk/personal/current-accounts/123-student-current-account

I hope this helps,
Sara :smile:
Hey there!

So I have a 16-25 railcard which costs me £30 per year. I really recommend them as you can save 1/3rd on each train ticket, and I have saved loads of money over the years!

Ultimately, it depends on how much you use the train, so this is something you will have to weigh up. If you are planning on travelling around often then I definitely think it would be worth it and it is quite easy to soon make your money back. I would recommend checking the prices of train tickets and see if it something which will benefit you, but as you save 1/3 each time, it probably will be useful!

I hope this helps.
Scarlet - Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador.
If you travel a lot, I recommend you to buy a railcard. A railcard can save you up to 1/3 off the price of train tickets. The money saved on a single journey can often pay for the cost of the railcard itself. And it is usually £30 for 1 year card and £70 for 3 year card. Sometimes retailers of train tickets will offer discount for promotion. You may get the promo code RCD001 to enjoy 34% off railcard if you are a new user at Trip.com. I bought it and it is true!

Quick Reply

Latest