The Student Room Group

Urgent gcsee helpp

Hi, for paper 1 question 5 English language gcse AQA , what matters the most plot or writing,
So could you have a boring plot, like say it start in a magical happy world, everything is serene etc and has a really good description, then say Paragraph 4 boy realises how will I get out of here, everything turns into chaos etc, then Paragraph 5 his mother say something like “Wake up, time to go school” and he realises it was a dream

If it has amazing description with loads of techniques, and punctuation would you say possible to get 34+
Reply 1
Plot is largely irrelevant unless it has some kind of meaning to it, for example, you could use a cyclic structure to reflect the protagonist's journey leading back to where they started, or perhaps they never moved at all. Perhaps they are trapped in an endless dream in a dream.
The text may start with the person waking up, running, dying, waking up, then running again. We follow the protagonist's adventure through the first dream (probably a gothic setting since that's easiest to write). Protag is constantly chased, by something, or nothing, but she runs all the same.

In this case we might start with something like:

I wake up.
He follows.
I run. I run. He runs.
From him, I run.
A crimson haze obscures my sight, but clear are his eyes - black blood on the horizon, seer to my flight.
[Then we go on some description of the surroundings, five senses, etc., all the standard stuff]
[Some random literacy devices to highlight His advance]
[Once the two finally meet, perhaps when protag finally meets His eyes, using vision as a waffle device to represent something or other for extra marks]
[Sure, let's just use a capital He to liken him to a divine presence. Use a distortion of religion to reflect human corruption or smth]
He is here. His eyes, shackling mine. The authority of a higher existence -one that must not be refused; its cruel beauty second only to the deathly lament of its all-consuming void- binds my soul to His.
I fall. I fall. He falls.
With him do I fall.
In the ever-encircling binds of the ice-cold ravine we fall. My eyes darken once more. His grow ever lighter. Forever I fall, further. Further - into the fangs of the valley of death.

But I wake up.
But He follows.

[Repeat with a different plotline, with the same core themes]
[And end the same]

I wake up.
He follows.

Now here the plot is kind of important but not exactly interesting in any way.
Since it's a dream we can put whatever random scheiss they put in the prompt however we want. The setting might be different, but the core ideas are the same. It's a good strategy to create some kind of basic skeleton story before hand that is purely designed to get marks :biggrin:

But then again you could use a cyclic structure anyway for no reason at all and probably still be fine lol
Reply 2
Original post by Teruko
Plot is largely irrelevant unless it has some kind of meaning to it, for example, you could use a cyclic structure to reflect the protagonist's journey leading back to where they started, or perhaps they never moved at all. Perhaps they are trapped in an endless dream in a dream.
The text may start with the person waking up, running, dying, waking up, then running again. We follow the protagonist's adventure through the first dream (probably a gothic setting since that's easiest to write). Protag is constantly chased, by something, or nothing, but she runs all the same.

In this case we might start with something like:

I wake up.
He follows.
I run. I run. He runs.
From him, I run.
A crimson haze obscures my sight, but clear are his eyes - black blood on the horizon, seer to my flight.
[Then we go on some description of the surroundings, five senses, etc., all the standard stuff]
[Some random literacy devices to highlight His advance]
[Once the two finally meet, perhaps when protag finally meets His eyes, using vision as a waffle device to represent something or other for extra marks]
[Sure, let's just use a capital He to liken him to a divine presence. Use a distortion of religion to reflect human corruption or smth]
He is here. His eyes, shackling mine. The authority of a higher existence -one that must not be refused; its cruel beauty second only to the deathly lament of its all-consuming void- binds my soul to His.
I fall. I fall. He falls.
With him do I fall.
In the ever-encircling binds of the ice-cold ravine we fall. My eyes darken once more. His grow ever lighter. Forever I fall, further. Further - into the fangs of the valley of death.

But I wake up.
But He follows.

[Repeat with a different plotline, with the same core themes]
[And end the same]

I wake up.
He follows.

Now here the plot is kind of important but not exactly interesting in any way.
Since it's a dream we can put whatever random scheiss they put in the prompt however we want. The setting might be different, but the core ideas are the same. It's a good strategy to create some kind of basic skeleton story before hand that is purely designed to get marks :biggrin:

But then again you could use a cyclic structure anyway for no reason at all and probably still be fine lol

Thank you!!! I’ll make sure to add a lot of language techniques, I’ll defo PM you it once I have written it

Quick Reply

Latest