The Student Room Group

UNI applications: are these good choices

Im in y12 studying Maths, economics, further maths and physics.

Do you think these are some good choices?

Imperial - economics, finance and data science
LSE - Maths with economics
UCL - Maths with economics
Warwick - MORSE
undecided

what should my insurance be? I want it to be a decent uni and the course have maths and economics.
Original post by stilk

Warwick - MORSE
undecided

what should my insurance be? I want it to be a decent uni and the course have maths and economics.

I think your choices are absolutely excellent. As someone who isn’t taking maths for A Levels, Maths is literally the most versatile A Level subject out there and for whatever you choose to pursue even In university.
Original post by stilk

Warwick - MORSE
undecided

Heya!
Those look like good choices to me but to double-check, always look at the entry requirements on the uni website :h: If it helps, use uniguide to explore some of your options!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by stilk

Warwick - MORSE
undecided

Heya!
Those look like good choices to me but to double-check, always look at the entry requirements on the uni website :h: If it helps, use uniguide to explore some of your options!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by stilk

Warwick - MORSE
undecided

They are all good unis - perhaps too good, if anything. I know several people predicted 3A* who ended up with no offers/1 offer from a uni they didn't want because they applied to too many very competitive unis. Make sure you actually like what you put as your insurance and are willing to go there, rather than just looking at what unis want lower grades. Think about campus v. city uni, London v. not London, how close it is to home, etc. when deciding on insurance (and firm).

Obviously, your insurance should depend both on your predicted grades and what you actually think you are going to get - note that ending up in clearing is a very stressful situation to be in, so you should be sure you can meet your insurance offer even if something went slightly wrong on the day. Without knowing your situation, it is hard to recommend any courses but I have given a few options below with a range of entry requirements:

Maths with economics (Loughborough) - AAA with A in maths or A*AB with A* in maths
Economics and maths (Lancaster) - AAB with A in maths, lowered for further maths
Economics and maths (Sheffield) - AAB with A in maths, lowered for further maths or relevant EPQ
Economics and maths (Royal Holloway) - ABB with A in maths, lowered for EPQ
Original post by juicygcse
They are all good unis - perhaps too good, if anything. I know several people predicted 3A* who ended up with no offers/1 offer from a uni they didn't want because they applied to too many very competitive unis. Make sure you actually like what you put as your insurance and are willing to go there, rather than just looking at what unis want lower grades. Think about campus v. city uni, London v. not London, how close it is to home, etc. when deciding on insurance (and firm).

Obviously, your insurance should depend both on your predicted grades and what you actually think you are going to get - note that ending up in clearing is a very stressful situation to be in, so you should be sure you can meet your insurance offer even if something went slightly wrong on the day. Without knowing your situation, it is hard to recommend any courses but I have given a few options below with a range of entry requirements:

Maths with economics (Loughborough) - AAA with A in maths or A*AB with A* in maths
Economics and maths (Lancaster) - AAB with A in maths, lowered for further maths
Economics and maths (Sheffield) - AAB with A in maths, lowered for further maths or relevant EPQ
Economics and maths (Royal Holloway) - ABB with A in maths, lowered for EPQ

Hi @juicygcse and @stilk,

I noticed that @juicygcse mentioned a particular course on offer at Loughborough above, so I just wanted to make sure a link to the BSc Mathematics with Economics course page was posted here. By visiting this webpage, you can find out more about the course, as well as module information, entry requirements and careers information.

If you do have any questions about studying at Loughborough, let me know :smile:

- Lindsay

Quick Reply

Latest