The Student Room Group

Parents not allowing me to fast during Ramadan

Asalamu’alaikum.

I need some advice please.

My parents are not allowing me to fast, I only kept the first fast. They think that I am too thin and I usually get headaches a lot when fasting and fatigue.

I’ve asked them if I could fast and they said no. It sometimes turns into an argument because I feel so guilty about not fasting and can’t accept when they say no.

My mother can’t fast. I was going to go against her and fast but the problem is that if she knows I’m fasting then she doesn’t eat as well for the whole day. So I feel terrible about that as well.

Please tell me what do..

In Islam, do we obey our parents in this regard or go against them?

Jazak’allah khair.

Ramadhan Mubarak to everyone
Reply 1
Well your health is important, and your parents care for your health so if fasting puts your health at risk you could try to do smaller fasts eg: for half a day or fasting for a day then taking a break for the next day to recover :smile:
Original post by Idk131
Well your health is important, and your parents care for your health so if fasting puts your health at risk you could try to do smaller fasts eg: for half a day or fasting for a day then taking a break for the next day to recover :smile:

I agree with you but they don’t want me to fast at all. It only turns into an argument if I try to discuss it. I know they are worried, that’s why they don’t want me to. They are planning to do charity instead.
Are you underweight?
Original post by TexasUrCox
Are you underweight?

I was about 45kg last time I checked. I haven’t weighed myself recently.
Original post by Anonymous 131
I was about 45kg last time I checked. I haven’t weighed myself recently.

I don’t know if that’s underweight for your height but if your health is an actual concern then maybe listen to your parents. They’re just trying to look out for you…
I understand Ramadan is important to you and you’d like to participate but IF you have health issues or body image issues then maybe it’s best to not take part this year xx
I don’t know if that’s underweight for your height but if your health is an actual concern then maybe listen to your parents. They’re just trying to look out for you…
I understand Ramadan is important to you and you’d like to participate but IF you have health issues or body image issues then maybe it’s best to not take part this year xx

Thank you for your advice. Makes me feel a little better after reading this.
Thank you for your advice. Makes me feel a little better after reading this.

No worries, your health should be top priority 💕
No worries, your health should be top priority 💕

Couldn’t agree more. All the best to you 💗
Reply 9
Asalamu’alaikum.

My parents are not allowing me to fast, I only kept the first fast. They think that I am too thin and I usually get headaches a lot when fasting and fatigue.

I’ve asked them if I could fast and they said no. It sometimes turns into an argument because I feel so guilty about not fasting and can’t accept when they say no.

My mother can’t fast. I was going to go against her and fast but the problem is that if she knows I’m fasting then she doesn’t eat as well for the whole day. So I feel terrible about that as well.

Please tell me what do..

Jazak’allah khair.

Fasting is conditional on necessity and ability.
In other words, if something is preventing you (health, circumstance, etc), you don't have to.
Remember that intentions are more important than actions.
Asalamu’alaikum.

Please tell me what do..

Jazak’allah khair.

Wa aleykum assalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatu

Consult a medical professional (preferably a Muslim one) and ask them whether in their opinion fasting would harm your health. Depending on their answer, you may have a dispensation to not fast.

If the doctor says it is safe and the risk of harm seems small, then your obligation is to Allah before your parents.

If the doctor says it is unsafe and your health will deteriorate over the month, then it is more rewardable to seek the dispensation as Allah Himself has excused you, and fasting would therefore be in ironic disobedience to Him

May Allah grant you Shifaa
Always put your health first and listen to your gut instinct. :smile:

How old are you? :confused:
Have you been issued with any prescribed medication?
Do you suffer from any problematic health issues?
Have you ever become dizzy after not eating lunch or began feeling very unwell when you have not eaten nor consumed a drink in 12-15 hours?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending