The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College London Admissions

How difficult is it to make Imperial College London as a US student? Is it as hard as OxBridge?
Original post by Anonymous
How difficult is it to make Imperial College London as a US student? Is it as hard as OxBridge?

Not as hard as Oxbridge, but ICL is difficult to make.

What are your stats?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by justlearning1469
Not as hard as Oxbridge, but ICL is difficult to make.

What are your stats?

I'm a senior in college in the US - and I'll likely take a gap year to try and apply to the UK Schools

It might be a bit weird because I'm an applicant from the US (and I know things like swimming don't matter) but here it goes:

GPA: 3.94 unweighted - not sure if this even matters

ACT: 34 (But I have a 35 superscore through 2 tests)

AP 5s: Biology (9th grade), Chemistry (10th grade), APUSH (11th grade but I know this one won't help), and this year I'm hitting Environmental Science, BC Calculus, and Physics I

I published a research paper related to Chemical Engineering in the MDPI polymers journal/top scorer in a competitive state on Chemistry Olympiad Exam

All-Eastern Cellist/State qualifier swimmer - I don't think this will matter either lol

Working on another research project building some mechanical things with a PhD scientist in the UK - more of a side interest than a real project really. but super interesting

I'd love to concentrate on a field of study that will set me up nicely to later study renewable energy as a masters focus! Hoping to find something alone the lines of environmental science to study.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a senior in college in the US - and I'll likely take a gap year to try and apply to the UK Schools

It might be a bit weird because I'm an applicant from the US (and I know things like swimming don't matter) but here it goes:

GPA: 3.94 unweighted - not sure if this even matters

ACT: 34 (But I have a 35 superscore through 2 tests)

AP 5s: Biology (9th grade), Chemistry (10th grade), APUSH (11th grade but I know this one won't help), and this year I'm hitting Environmental Science, BC Calculus, and Physics I

I published a research paper related to Chemical Engineering in the MDPI polymers journal/top scorer in a competitive state on Chemistry Olympiad Exam

All-Eastern Cellist/State qualifier swimmer - I don't think this will matter either lol

Working on another research project building some mechanical things with a PhD scientist in the UK - more of a side interest than a real project really. but super interesting

I'd love to concentrate on a field of study that will set me up nicely to later study renewable energy as a masters focus! Hoping to find something alone the lines of environmental science to study.

Here are some courses along the lines of environmental science: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/subjects/ecological-environmental-sciences/#d.en.1231582

Entry requirements: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/international-students/information-by-region/north-america/
Your GPA is quite decent, ICL needs at least 3-4 AP at grade five so better achieve that. They don't accept ACT/SAT scores for undergrad anyway.

The personal statement for UK universities should be about 75-80% academic and 20-25% extracurricular. Perhaps you could show your interest, along with explaining the supercurriculars (the research paper and project) in a lot of detail. Remember, a couple outstanding supercurriculars is better than many weak supercurriculars. Also, a couple supercurriculars explained in detail is much better than many supercurriculars with only cursory mention.
Use the Personal Statement builder to help you: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/personal-statements/personal-statement-builder/
You could mention your strong extracurricular and focus on how it would prepare you for university, as well as your plans.

P.S. if you're looking for something to do during your gap year:
Your ACT of 34 is enough to join the Triple Nine Society: https://www.triplenine.org/HowtoJoin/TestScores.aspx so if you want to showcase your intelligence, you could do so. Also there are some handy newsletters and people to talk to (who are really intelligent, 99.9th percentile)

Quick Reply