The Student Room Group

3 A levels & a BSc at same time? Doable??

Hey I’ve been out of the eduction system for 25 years…instead I’ve continually worked in the oil industry away at sea on an oil & gas rig.

The company I work for is now offering to paid for education and I’m taking them up on this generous offer.

I left school with all GCSE’s passed at grade C and above. I quit my A levels half way through as I was offered a job on an oil rig.

Now I am planning to take 3 A levels in Maths, Physics and Chemisty. Doing one subject each year fast tracked over 3 years, distance learning with Oxbridge.

Alongside this I will be taking a Geology BSc degree with The Open University over the same 3 years.

Once achieved this will then give my the entry requirements to go on to study for a Petroleum Engineering MSc.

All the above fits perfectly with my career and knowledge gained in the oil & gas industry.

As I’ve been out of education for such a long time is what I’m planning realistic? In terms of time, I now only work 1 week away on the oil rig and then have 4 weeks off. So plenty of time to focus on studies.

Any advice is greatly appreciated 👍

Thankyou 👍
Mike
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by MikeOil
Hey I’ve been out of the eduction system for 25 years…instead I’ve continually worked in the oil industry away at sea on an oil & gas rig.

The company I work for is now offering to paid for education and I’m taking them up on this generous offer.

I left school with all GCSE’s passed at grade C and above. I quit my A levels half way through as I was offered a job on an oil rig.

Now I am planning to take 3 A levels in Maths, Physics and Chemisty. Doing one subject each year fast tracked over 3 years, distance learning with Oxbridge.

Alongside this I will be taking a Geology BSc degree with The Open University over the same 3 years.

Once achieved this will then give my the entry requirements to go on to study for a Petroleum Engineering MSc.

All the above fits perfectly with my career and knowledge gained in the oil & gas industry.

As I’ve been out of education for such a long time is what I’m planning realistic? In terms of time, I now only work 1 week away on the oil rig and then have 4 weeks off. Giving me a £40K salary per year which allows me to focus my time off on studies.

Thankyou 👍
Mike

If you get your BSc, do you really need A-levels to get onto an MSc?
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
If you get your BSc, do you really need A-levels to get onto an MSc?

I was wondering that same question…I don’t think i do tbh. But I am a bit apprehensive about jumping straight into the petroleum engineering degree without a proper level of understanding of maths and the sciences to support it…the A levels would give me that I think.
Original post by MikeOil
I was wondering that same question…I don’t think i do tbh. But I am a bit apprehensive about jumping straight into the petroleum engineering degree without a proper level of understanding of maths and the sciences to support it…the A levels would give me that I think.

Ok, it would be worth checking with some unis that you're interested in how they would assess your MSc application both with and without A-levels.

As to workload, if that's the way you go, I think it's doable as a mature adult.
Original post by MikeOil

As I’ve been out of education for such a long time is what I’m planning realistic? In terms of time, I now only work 1 week away on the oil rig and then have 4 weeks off. Giving me a £40K salary per year which allows me to focus my time off on studies.

Thankyou 👍
Mike

I'd also question the need to do 3 A levels alongside. Speak to the MSc opportunities about the maths level required. You could either do an additional OU model or pay for specific maths tutoring, both of which might be more flexible and more suited to your needs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending