The Student Room Group

Please grade and tell me any improvements

In both poems, love is presented to be consuming. This is shown through the unhealthy fixation on the object of their affection. In Sonnet 29, this is shown through the active words ‘Twine’ and ‘Bud’. These words imply that her love is smothering. In addition these words play a role in the extended metaphor presented throughout the poem; he is a tree and her thoughts about him are a vine. Browning’s speaker is as equally transfixed and this is shown by the way he objectifies porphyria; ‘Smooth, white shoulder bare’ The word smooth white has connotations of angelic highlighting her purity and innocence. However this may also be a way of the speaker foreshadowing her death.
Following this, both poems use natural imagery to link it back to their hopeless romance. In porphyria’s lover, we are displayed this through the pathetic fallacy in the line ‘The sullen wind was soon awake’. The wind is personified as ‘sullen’ suggesting that even nature is miserable likewise the speaker’s wrathful intentions. Contrasting this to sonnet 29, Browning uses the extended metaphor of nature to demonstrate her infinite and uncontrollable thoughts regarding him-we can see this from the line ‘As wild vines, about a tree’ From this, we can infer that her growing thoughts are beginning to feed off of him and are becoming detrimental. ‘Tree’ and ‘Thee’ sets up an internal rhyme which makes the relationship seem more harmonious. We can also dictate from this simile of wild vines binding across the tree and clinging to its bark that it symbolises her consuming thoughts of her lover.
Furthermore, in both poems, the speaker in unfulfilled and then becomes fulfilled later on in the poem. In porphyria’s love, initially, the speaker in unsettled by Porphyria’s autonomy which is shown through ‘To set its struggling passion free’. From this, we are able to infer that her silence foreshadows his inability to deal with her as a fellow person. The speaker also does not take responsibility into replying to his so-called ‘lover’ implying he does not take responsibility for his actions. Eventually, the speaker is illustrated to be happy and joyful through the exclamatory sentence ‘And I, its love, is gained instead!’. This portrays the speaker’s emotionless and sadistic nature to the extent in which he finds his lover’s murder humorous and delightful. Perhaps this suggests that the speaker in mentally unstable as such emotions are abnormal, making the reader almost pity the speaker. In sonnet 29, the speaker is initially desperate to be with her lover and this is shown by ‘I think of thee!’ The use of the repetition in the simple monosyllabic words dictate her joy and excitement when thinking of her lover. The turning point in the sonnet however, leads to a subverted repetition of the opening line in ​“I do not think of thee I am too near thee.”,​ this shows the speaker’s change in situation from disillusionment to satisfaction. The use of the word ‘thee’ is also repeated 7 times, and whilst it is old fashioned, it highlights how important her lover is to her- almost elevating it to a spiritual realm. Browning was also a christian and thee had a religious connotation as it is used over 2700 times in the Bible.
However, in comparison to this all, in sonnet 29, the speaker recognises that her obsession with her lover is unhealthy for their relationship. At the turning point in the sonnet, she states that ​“I will not have my thoughts instead of thee”​ showing how she admits that thinking constantly about her lover will ruin their relationship. The speaker in “Porphyria’s lover” does not have the same self awareness and this is shown by the final ​hubristic ​line ​“And yet God has not said a word!” which demonstrates the speaker’s lack of remorse.
Reply 1
How can we grade you if we do not even know what the question is, let alone the subject?

Your use of paragraphs is also terrible and you would probably be marked down for it.

Quick Reply

Latest