The Student Room Group

Pip, employment support and mental health

Hello I’m in yr13, have my exams very soon. I will be taking a gap year so I can take a break and focus on improving my wellbeing. Atm I am in counselling with a charity and I’ve been in therapy continuously since august (but with different people every 6weeks) and I have been in contact with mental health services (on and off) since July 2021. I see my doctor every month, atm it’s every 2 weeks because of me getting worse.

I’m struggling in college with exams (failing in one subject) and attendance (my attendance is 69% overall and around 40% for past 4 weeks). My family is in temporary accommodation so we live far from college, which makes it harder for me to come in because I struggle travelling. I’m in bed pretty much all day, I don’t shower, brush my teeth, change/wash my clothes for weeks unless my mum keeps reminding me to and even then I’m very slow in getting things done. I don’t eat unless I’m reminded to or food has already been made/ordered. I have to set multiple alarms hours before I have to get up on school days and even then it takes me 30-45 minutes for me to actually get out of bed before I start getting ready, which makes me late a lot.

I’ve been isolating myself a lot too, I don’t speak to family much at all and I stay in my room all day in bed. I don’t clean my room at all, it’s a mess. I’ve not been sleeping and I was starting to get nightmares/sleep paralysis and panic attacks at night too so my mum has moved me to my brothers room now, it’s helped with the nightmares and stuff but I still isolate myself/stay in bed all day.

I’ve not been diagnosed with anything, which is frustrating because I feel like I need more care than what’s given and my GP and therapist thinks the same. It’s been agreed that I won’t try medication until after I’ve finished counselling. Atm myself and others (doctor, adult/child mh services, therapists) have been referring to my issues as severe/moderate anxiety

I have no hobbies and interests, the things I’ve used to like I don’t do anymore. I’ve tried joining social groups/leisure centres/the gym but it never works out because I’m too anxious to go unless someone comes with me, my brothers are busy with school and I don’t speak much to other people like friends outside of college.
I’ve tried applying for jobs but I’m not good at speaking, or coming across as friendly at all and Im too quiet. Ive bombed every interview I’ve went to and I find the whole thing very stressful.

What support can I get employment/social/financial wise?? Am I eligible for it? I don’t want anyone to visit me in my home if I’m honest.
Employment support: You may be able to get support with finding a job and developing the skills you need for work through a government-funded employment program. In the UK, this program is called the Disability Confident scheme, which supports people with disabilities and long-term health conditions to find and keep work. You can find out more about the scheme and how to get support by visiting the UK government website.

Financial support: Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible for financial support, such as benefits or grants. You can find out more about what you may be eligible for by visiting the UK government website or contacting your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Social support: If you're struggling with social isolation, there may be local social groups or activities you can get involved with. You can find out about local groups and activities by contacting your local council or using websites like Meetup.

Housing support: If you're struggling with housing, you may be able to get support from your local council or housing association. You can find out more about housing support by contacting your local council or using websites like Shelter.

It's important to remember that seeking support is a positive step and that there are people who can help you. If you're not comfortable with someone visiting you at home, you can ask if support is available online or over the phone. You can also discuss your concerns with your GP or therapist and they can help you find support that meets your needs.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello I’m in yr13, have my exams very soon. I will be taking a gap year so I can take a break and focus on improving my wellbeing. Atm I am in counselling with a charity and I’ve been in therapy continuously since august (but with different people every 6weeks) and I have been in contact with mental health services (on and off) since July 2021. I see my doctor every month, atm it’s every 2 weeks because of me getting worse.

I’m struggling in college with exams (failing in one subject) and attendance (my attendance is 69% overall and around 40% for past 4 weeks). My family is in temporary accommodation so we live far from college, which makes it harder for me to come in because I struggle travelling. I’m in bed pretty much all day, I don’t shower, brush my teeth, change/wash my clothes for weeks unless my mum keeps reminding me to and even then I’m very slow in getting things done. I don’t eat unless I’m reminded to or food has already been made/ordered. I have to set multiple alarms hours before I have to get up on school days and even then it takes me 30-45 minutes for me to actually get out of bed before I start getting ready, which makes me late a lot.

I’ve been isolating myself a lot too, I don’t speak to family much at all and I stay in my room all day in bed. I don’t clean my room at all, it’s a mess. I’ve not been sleeping and I was starting to get nightmares/sleep paralysis and panic attacks at night too so my mum has moved me to my brothers room now, it’s helped with the nightmares and stuff but I still isolate myself/stay in bed all day.

I’ve not been diagnosed with anything, which is frustrating because I feel like I need more care than what’s given and my GP and therapist thinks the same. It’s been agreed that I won’t try medication until after I’ve finished counselling. Atm myself and others (doctor, adult/child mh services, therapists) have been referring to my issues as severe/moderate anxiety

I have no hobbies and interests, the things I’ve used to like I don’t do anymore. I’ve tried joining social groups/leisure centres/the gym but it never works out because I’m too anxious to go unless someone comes with me, my brothers are busy with school and I don’t speak much to other people like friends outside of college.
I’ve tried applying for jobs but I’m not good at speaking, or coming across as friendly at all and Im too quiet. Ive bombed every interview I’ve went to and I find the whole thing very stressful.

What support can I get employment/social/financial wise?? Am I eligible for it? I don’t want anyone to visit me in my home if I’m honest.
I have no hobbies and interests, the things I’ve used to like I don’t do anymore. I’ve tried joining social groups/leisure centres/the gym but it never works out because I’m too anxious to go unless someone comes with me, my brothers are busy with school and I don’t speak much to other people like friends outside of college.I’ve tried applying for jobs but I’m not good at speaking, or coming across as friendly at all and Im too quiet. Ive bombed every interview I’ve went to and I find the whole thing very stressful.

Do you know why are you feeling like that?
Do you know why are you feeling like that?

Idk atm I’m getting treated for anxiety, I think it’s more than that but I’m not sure what.
Original post by Marcus O'Donnell
Employment support: You may be able to get support with finding a job and developing the skills you need for work through a government-funded employment program. In the UK, this program is called the Disability Confident scheme, which supports people with disabilities and long-term health conditions to find and keep work. You can find out more about the scheme and how to get support by visiting the UK government website.

Financial support: Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible for financial support, such as benefits or grants. You can find out more about what you may be eligible for by visiting the UK government website or contacting your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Social support: If you're struggling with social isolation, there may be local social groups or activities you can get involved with. You can find out about local groups and activities by contacting your local council or using websites like Meetup.

Housing support: If you're struggling with housing, you may be able to get support from your local council or housing association. You can find out more about housing support by contacting your local council or using websites like Shelter.

It's important to remember that seeking support is a positive step and that there are people who can help you. If you're not comfortable with someone visiting you at home, you can ask if support is available online or over the phone. You can also discuss your concerns with your GP or therapist and they can help you find support that meets your needs.

Thanks I’ll have a look at your suggestions and call CAB for advice
Idk atm I’m getting treated for anxiety, I think it’s more than that but I’m not sure what.

What's your age?

Hello I can help
What's your age?

Original post by Soni warap
Hello I can help

Hi

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending