The Student Room Group

Being The Odd One

Hi!
I was just wondering if anyone else suffers at school with being the odd one out. I've just had a lecture from my boyf about how I need to make more friends but the problem is, our sixth form is so small and I find all the girls very hyper/silly/giggly which just isn't me - I'm not dull I just don't work like most girls seem to, I tend to work harder at school and enjoy things like music and talking about proper things which loads of them don't. I also don't enjoy dancing/clubs etc, I'm much more of a gig-goer and there are no other girls in my sixth form that do! It's really hard because it's a question of acting as if i'm like the rest of them to make my boyfriend feel happier or carry on and make him down because he's worried he's not seeing his mates enough- AGGGGGHHH! I used to be friends with a group of guys too but he hates that and has made it so I always feel guilty when I go out with just guys because he thinks it's inappropriate! Sorry to rant to you, it's just been getting me down so much, I had to share it somewhere.
Roisin

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
lol yup, iv always been odd :smile:
i never really fit in anywhere, still dont
Reply 2
Tell boyf to stick his nose out. If you want to be friends with the boys do so, he has no right to tell yyou that its inappropriate. As long as your happy with your lot tell him where to stick his lecture.
BhArJ
lol yup, iv always been odd :smile:
i never really fit in anywhere, still dont

Same here :frown: But there are always some great people in school to tlk to, i just usually be friendly to everyone.
Reply 4
Read my thread. lol, I'm even considering turning to drink.

But I'm jst discussing this with my bf over MSN and apparently he feels the same way as I do.

I agree with frost, and really should take that advice...I need to be more self confidnet.

I'm glad I'm not the only girl who feels this.
Reply 5
RoisinHan
Hi!
I was just wondering if anyone else suffers at school with being the odd one out. I've just had a lecture from my boyf about how I need to make more friends but the problem is, our sixth form is so small and I find all the girls very hyper/silly/giggly which just isn't me - I'm not dull I just don't work like most girls seem to, I tend to work harder at school and enjoy things like music and talking about proper things which loads of them don't. I also don't enjoy dancing/clubs etc, I'm much more of a gig-goer and there are no other girls in my sixth form that do! It's really hard because it's a question of acting as if i'm like the rest of them to make my boyfriend feel happier or carry on and make him down because he's worried he's not seeing his mates enough- AGGGGGHHH! I used to be friends with a group of guys too but he hates that and has made it so I always feel guilty when I go out with just guys because he thinks it's inappropriate! Sorry to rant to you, it's just been getting me down so much, I had to share it somewhere.
Roisin

Your location says MK, I went to school there! Which school do you go to?
Reply 6
It's really the odd-ness that (usually) drives us on here.

People, you will soon discover, are generally morons anyway, and undeserving of your attention. It's not worth lowering yourself to the level of these people (especially if it means going, say, clubbing instead of gigs). Hope that you will eventually meet someone bearable who shares your interests, and stick it out until then.

Hope this has been helpful.

PS- At least you can thank hell you've got a boyfriend.
Reply 7
Oh and to answer the thread, my mates and I are the odd ones out at Uni because everyone here is boring and we're cool :cool:
Reply 8
saiyamana
Same here :frown: But there are always some great people in school to tlk to, i just usually be friendly to everyone.

School yes, college no.......
Reply 9
puppy
Your location says MK, I went to school there! Which school do you go to?

Bury Lawn -horrbile, tiny, private school.
Reply 10
RoisinHan
Bury Lawn -horrbile, tiny, private school.

Ahh, thought so- you have Ancient History as an A-level choice in your sig (I think), most places don't offer that. I went to Denbigh, really enjoyed it, I even worked there for 6 months after I left!
Reply 11
I was the same at sixth form.. had nothing in common with anyone else! Uni really changed everything for me, now I feel most of the people around me are more similar :smile:
Reply 12
Oh I used to get exactly the same problem with my boyfriend - he used to complain that I don't have enough friends which are girls. That's all very well but considering there were not many girls in the year and they were the horrid girly kind, it wasn't all that surprising that I didn't get along too well with them.
Reply 13
puppy
Ahh, thought so- you have Ancient History as an A-level choice in your sig (I think), most places don't offer that. I went to Denbigh, really enjoyed it, I even worked there for 6 months after I left!

Yeah, our history teacher is convinced he is a Roman! But he's a great teacher for it- shame about the pupils! I nearly changed for sixth form and was looking at Denbigh but chickened out because of the 5 years in a private school!
RoisinHan
Hi!
Roisin

I think you are a bit too judgemental considering you aren't friends with any of the girls in your year. Do you really know any of them? Maybe they do talk about proper things. I think your boyfriend's attitude isn't great, but he has a point. I suggest you broaden your outlook a bit or you will continue to be miserable through out your life, because all people aren't like you.
Krysa
Read my thread. lol, I'm even considering turning to drink.

Don't do that, alcohol is a depressant so it won't make you feel any better, will just intensify your feelings and make you feel like **** in the morning, plus it burns a hole in your pocket. Drink by all means but do it for the right reasons.
Reply 16
ChemistBoy
I think you are a bit too judgemental considering you aren't friends with any of the girls in your year. Do you really know any of them? Maybe they do talk about proper things. I think your boyfriend's attitude isn't great, but he has a point. I suggest you broaden your outlook a bit or you will continue to be miserable through out your life, because all people aren't like you.

Bearing in mind I have known the girls since I was 10, just never been close to them- I used to be friends with some but they changed. The problem is with the hyperness and gigliness, I just struggle to handle it- I don't find the same things as they do funny and I couldn't bear to go out and get drunk like I know that they enjoy doing- I'm certainly not saying there is anything wrong with that, it's just I know that I find it very empty and not very fullfilling- I also know there are people more like me about, it's just unfortunatley I'm in a 6th form with less that 20 other girls and I struggle to be interested in clothes, hair and shopping which I know they do enjoy.
Maybe you're right but I've grown up being taught to be myself and by pretending to enjoy those things simply to feel I know people just isn't in my nature.
RoisinHan
Bearing in mind I have known the girls since I was 10, just never been close to them- I used to be friends with some but they changed. The problem is with the hyperness and gigliness, I just struggle to handle it- I don't find the same things as they do funny and I couldn't bear to go out and get drunk like I know that they enjoy doing- I'm certainly not saying there is anything wrong with that, it's just I know that I find it very empty and not very fullfilling- I also know there are people more like me about, it's just unfortunatley I'm in a 6th form with less that 20 other girls and I struggle to be interested in clothes, hair and shopping which I know they do enjoy.
Maybe you're right but I've grown up being taught to be myself and by pretending to enjoy those things simply to feel I know people just isn't in my nature.

Well I used to be just like you at school, and I suddenly realised at Uni that people weren't going to change so I had better start accepting the way they are. I suddenly realised that the people who I thought were completely opposite to me were more similar than I had realised. Also, try out shopping and stuff, I have it on good authority that it is very therapeutic!
Same, it's very tiring pretending to like the things that they do, like the things you've mentioned...so then i just be myself...trouble is, you feel as though your bond with them isn't as tight as the others, it's quite depressing sometimes.
Reply 19
I feel that same as you... there are a few people I like but most are really boring, listen to crap music etc.. I just don't fit in with them. I do make an effort and am talkative usually, but it's a bore. Just look forward to Uni :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending