The Student Room Group

Extra Year of Funding

Hi there,

I will firstly introduce my experience with university and then go into details about the case that I would like to ask about.

2018-19: Started uni. Chosen Computer Science (Integrated Masters) course and finished the first year. Due to problems with my mental health and undiagnosed ADHD, I have decided to change course to Graphic Design.

2019-20: Completed first year of Graphic Design BA (Hons) course. As I haven't been feeling the graphic design course, I have switched back to Computer Science - this time BSc (Hons).

2020-21: Completed second year of Computer Science BSc Hons. Have been struggling with my ADHD symptoms, however I have managed to complete the year.

2021-22: Skipped the sandwich year and went straight into third year. Completed first semester and due to ADHD, I went into complete disaster when it comes to my mental health and decided to take a break in my studies.

This is my previous experience with university.

Now, after three or four years of waiting for my diagnosis, I was officially diagnosed with ADHD. This made me extremely happy, as it would mean that I can come back and finish the last year of my studies & graduate.

The only case in this scenario is that I am not sure if I am still available for extra funding. I would now love to ask two questions that would help me in answering my questions in relation whether I am still eligible for tuition and maintenance loan funding:

1. As I have started my university experience with the integrated masters course, the course was initially 4 (or 5 with sandwich year) years long. If I understand correctly, this would put me in a situation where I am eligible for 4 + 1 years of student finance. The question is - even after switching the courses and then switching back to study the same course, am I eligible for 5 years of funding or 4 years of funding instead?

2. If the answer for question 1 is 4 years of funding, it means that I won't be eligible for any student finance anymore. However, in my case, I believe I would be eligible for the extra year of funding due to compelling reasons, as I got strong evidence of everything in relation to my ADHD. In the case where I would get that accepted - does the extra year of funding include both the tuition fee & maintenance loan, or is it just the tuition fee?

Thank you so much in advance and I will be grateful for help in relation to that.
Reply 1
bump
Original post by kebonzo
Hi there,

I will firstly introduce my experience with university and then go into details about the case that I would like to ask about.

2018-19: Started uni. Chosen Computer Science (Integrated Masters) course and finished the first year. Due to problems with my mental health and undiagnosed ADHD, I have decided to change course to Graphic Design.

2019-20: Completed first year of Graphic Design BA (Hons) course. As I haven't been feeling the graphic design course, I have switched back to Computer Science - this time BSc (Hons).

2020-21: Completed second year of Computer Science BSc Hons. Have been struggling with my ADHD symptoms, however I have managed to complete the year.

2021-22: Skipped the sandwich year and went straight into third year. Completed first semester and due to ADHD, I went into complete disaster when it comes to my mental health and decided to take a break in my studies.

This is my previous experience with university.

Now, after three or four years of waiting for my diagnosis, I was officially diagnosed with ADHD. This made me extremely happy, as it would mean that I can come back and finish the last year of my studies & graduate.

The only case in this scenario is that I am not sure if I am still available for extra funding. I would now love to ask two questions that would help me in answering my questions in relation whether I am still eligible for tuition and maintenance loan funding:

1. As I have started my university experience with the integrated masters course, the course was initially 4 (or 5 with sandwich year) years long. If I understand correctly, this would put me in a situation where I am eligible for 4 + 1 years of student finance. The question is - even after switching the courses and then switching back to study the same course, am I eligible for 5 years of funding or 4 years of funding instead?

2. If the answer for question 1 is 4 years of funding, it means that I won't be eligible for any student finance anymore. However, in my case, I believe I would be eligible for the extra year of funding due to compelling reasons, as I got strong evidence of everything in relation to my ADHD. In the case where I would get that accepted - does the extra year of funding include both the tuition fee & maintenance loan, or is it just the tuition fee?

Thank you so much in advance and I will be grateful for help in relation to that.

Hi there, when are you planning to return back to your course? Will it be the final year of the course you will be attending? Thanks, Karen
Reply 3
Original post by SFE Karen
Hi there, when are you planning to return back to your course? Will it be the final year of the course you will be attending? Thanks, Karen

Hi there,

If in this case I would be granted both tuition and maintenance fees, I would return back on my course this September (as this is what is currently in the system within my university - it wasn't a dropout but a break-in study). It will be also the last year I will be attending (3rd year) - as well as I might continue to do my master's degree after that depending on the financing aspect.

Thank you in advance,
Kevin
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by kebonzo
Hi there,

If in this case I would be granted both tuition and maintenance fees, I would return back on my course this September (as this is what is currently in the system within my university - it wasn't a dropout but a break-in study). It will be also the last year I will be attending (3rd year) - as well as I might continue to do my master's degree after that depending on the financing aspect.

Thank you in advance,
Kevin

If you are planning to return back to your course in September you would need to submit your application for funding for the team to review. If you have evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons then you can upload this with a cover letter explaining the situation along with the dates this happened for the team to review. You can find out more information about this here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

Once this has been reviewed the team will be in contact with you to confirm the funding you would be entitled to receive. Thanks, Karen
Reply 5
Original post by SFE Karen
If you are planning to return back to your course in September you would need to submit your application for funding for the team to review. If you have evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons then you can upload this with a cover letter explaining the situation along with the dates this happened for the team to review. You can find out more information about this here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

Once this has been reviewed the team will be in contact with you to confirm the funding you would be entitled to receive. Thanks, Karen

Hi Karen,

I am aware of everything that you have provided, however I struggle with understanding the funding case. The one question that I wanted to be answered is (speaking of your knowledge) does the funding include both tuition and mainteance loan, or is that only the tuition fee support?

This will allow me to decide whether I will be applying or not, as if it is only tuition fee, then I won't be able to go back to university in September due to financial reasons.

Thank you in advance,
Kevin
Original post by kebonzo
Hi Karen,

I am aware of everything that you have provided, however I struggle with understanding the funding case. The one question that I wanted to be answered is (speaking of your knowledge) does the funding include both tuition and mainteance loan, or is that only the tuition fee support?

This will allow me to decide whether I will be applying or not, as if it is only tuition fee, then I won't be able to go back to university in September due to financial reasons.

Thank you in advance,
Kevin

If you are looking to apply for both then you would indicate this on your application. We can never guarantee what funding you would receive until an application is fully processed. Once it has been fully reviewed the team will confirm the funding you are eligible to receive. Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending