The Student Room Group

Process After GCSE

Hey Everyone,
Thank you so much firstly for reading this! Recently, I have been exploring what to do After completing my GCSE's and I am honestly quite overwhelmed. Is it possible for someone to simplify the whole process for me and explain what happens next?
Original post by Reyaansh
Hey Everyone,
Thank you so much firstly for reading this! Recently, I have been exploring what to do After completing my GCSE's and I am honestly quite overwhelmed. Is it possible for someone to simplify the whole process for me and explain what happens next?

You have choices
1. Apply to stay at your school for year 12 and 13 if your school has them
2. Apply to another school or college if you want a fresh start or your current school doesn't offer the subjects/qualifications you want to take.
With either choice you decide what subjects and which qualifications you want to pursue. If you have achieved adequate grades in GCSE, for the vast majority of people the choice is either A levels (traditional academic qualifications) or Level 3 BTEC qualifications. Your choices may be limited by what subjects you took at GCSE and the grades you achieved. If you did not perform well at GCSE you may be offered the chance to retake some GCSE alongside studying other qualifications at GCSE level.
3. You can apply for an apprenticeship - either with an employer or with an apprenticeship provider. You will spend some time on the job and some time in education and earn while you learn.
Reply 2
Thank you so much! Also, just to clarify :
After GCSEs can I do year 12 and 13 and then do a bsc?

yes
Hey Everyone,

What year are you in now?

Yes, after completing year 12 and 13 and successfully gaining relevant A levels and/or BTEC level 3 a BSc, BA, MSc..... course at university would be an option. A degree apprenticeship would also be a popular choice where you do paid work alongside earning a degree and of course many people leave education and find a job.

If you are a mature student wanting to go to university then there is a 4th option after your GCSE which would be an access course specifically designed to meet university entry requirements in a year rather than the two years for A levels,
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
What year are you in now?

currently i am in year 10, going to year 11 from september
Reply 7
Original post by gdunne42
Yes, after completing year 12 and 13 and successfully gaining relevant A levels and/or BTEC level 3 a BSc, BA, MSc..... course at university would be an option. A degree apprenticeship would also be a popular choice and of course many people leave education and find a job.

If you are a mature student wanting to go to university then there is a 4th option after your GCSE which would be an access course specifically designed to meet university entry requirements in a year rather than the two years for A levels,

Thank you so much! This has been a huge help and I really really appreciate it!
Thank you so much! This has been a huge help and I really really appreciate it!

You are very welcome. Good luck with whatever you decide.
(edited 1 year ago)
currently i am in year 10, going to year 11 from september

Your school will helpe guide you - once in Year 11 you need to think about sixth form and whether you are going to stay where you are or move schools. There will be Open Evenings and you'll need to apply - most people apply to more than one place [you don;t have to decide until you get your GCSE results]. Over the summer I would start thinking about A levels etc and do a bit of research.

Quick Reply

Latest