The Student Room Group

HMCTS Summer Intern 2023

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Belladog
Didn't complete a CTC SQ questionnaire but checks completed over a month ago. Worried too as still no sign of a contract.

I applied for all the main London courts - pre employment checks were sent of beginning/middle of may and start of June I received a CTC/SQ questionnaire to complete which were proper thorough background checks. Very worried as last year I did the internship at a local court and started the first week of July! I can only assume they are doing a CTC as it is the main London courts but my application still says pre employment checks are still going on which is confusing!
Original post by laurendalton397
I applied for all the main London courts - pre employment checks were sent of beginning/middle of may and start of June I received a CTC/SQ questionnaire to complete which were proper thorough background checks. Very worried as last year I did the internship at a local court and started the first week of July! I can only assume they are doing a CTC as it is the main London courts but my application still says pre employment checks are still going on which is confusing!

Yes I have applied for London courts and my pre-employment checks were completed on 19th May and was told to await the contract but as of yet nothing. It's strange your pre-employment checks say they are still going on. I am sure I didn't complete the additional questionnaire and just received a basic DBS certificate through the post. At this rate it will be more like an 8 week internship than the 12 weeks I was counting on.
Yes I have applied for London courts and my pre-employment checks were completed on 19th May and was told to await the contract but as of yet nothing. It's strange your pre-employment checks say they are still going on. I am sure I didn't complete the additional questionnaire and just received a basic DBS certificate through the post. At this rate it will be more like an 8 week internship than the 12 weeks I was counting on.

Yes its very weird and I received my DBS certifcate a long time ago - none of this happened last year as I started first week of July but its very weird just hoping to receive something in the next week or so! please let me know if you have received anything .
Original post by laurendalton397
Yes its very weird and I received my DBS certifcate a long time ago - none of this happened last year as I started first week of July but its very weird just hoping to receive something in the next week or so! please let me know if you have received anything .

Yes I will do and you too! I purposely haven’t found a job over the summer as I was relying on this internship for income. All the best and hope we hear soon!
Yes I will do and you too! I purposely haven’t found a job over the summer as I was relying on this internship for income. All the best and hope we hear soon!

Haha yes same! I haven't found a job yet due to this internship! Hope we hear soon!
So I got a call today asking me if I could start on the 17th July but no word about which court I am allocated to. The caller said they let their line mgr know my start date. Hopefully this means a contract soon?
So I got a call today asking me if I could start on the 17th July but no word about which court I am allocated to. The caller said they let their line mgr know my start date. Hopefully this means a contract soon?

Hey! Same I got a call today asking for me to start on 17th July but they said they would let me know what court soon enough so hopefully it's looking good for the both of us!
Reply 107
I also got a call today asking whether I could start on the 17th of July.

But with all the delay from HMCTS, I've decided to accept an offer elsewhere. Anyone in London on the reserve list may get my space!

Good luck on the internship
Reply 108
My pre-employment checks were only completed today.

Can anyone who did the internship last year or has already started it this year shed some light on the tasks/expectations they were given?
Original post by FAM134
My pre-employment checks were only completed today.

Can anyone who did the internship last year or has already started it this year shed some light on the tasks/expectations they were given?

Depends on your role. But if I recall correctly, most of the options surround admin work. In my personal experience, you are in charge of many roles. With regard to cases, you are taught how to list them in the system when they are initially filed. Then if there are cases that are not managed for some time, you can get permission to send out strike-out orders or request for correspondence orders. Basically the gearbox behind the legal system.

It is an invaluable experience if you use it correctly. I would recommend networking with the judges, e.g. for marshalling in the future. But also speak to your colleagues who may be doing different courses than you.
Original post by quillsunilimited
Depends on your role. But if I recall correctly, most of the options surround admin work. In my personal experience, you are in charge of many roles. With regard to cases, you are taught how to list them in the system when they are initially filed. Then if there are cases that are not managed for some time, you can get permission to send out strike-out orders or request for correspondence orders. Basically the gearbox behind the legal system.

It is an invaluable experience if you use it correctly. I would recommend networking with the judges, e.g. for marshalling in the future. But also speak to your colleagues who may be doing different courses than you.

Second this completely. I was an HMCTS Intern last year, and used the MOJ nexus to secure Marshalling at a nearby Crown Court. I regularly keep in touch with a Judge I clerked, and this year relied on the experience for a recent civil service posting.

Fab time here!

Quick Reply