The Student Room Group

French - Sense with this sentence?

Hi,

I know that the grammar is correct here, but I'm just wondering about the sense in this sentence:

"Il ne faut pas qu'on doive penser en regardant les programmes delassants."

In English that means: "It is not necessary that one has to think whilst watching..."

Does that make sense in English?? and in French??

Having a mental block here guys!

Thats what 4 languages at AS does to you :P

Thanks
Well it's rather inelegant to translate all the nestled verbs directly like that, and I'd tend to render present participles in French as finite verbs in English, at least in this sort of construciton. "You don't have to think when you watch entertainment TV" is probabably better, but it's rather punchier than the French. TBH, I'd say the French here is a bit convoluted anyway, since "falloir" and "devoir" are basically impersonal or personal ways of expressing obligation, so using the two together is kind of superfluous. "Il ne faut pas penser" or "On ne doit pas penser" would serve just as well; better, even. You could argue there's a nuance in the original when the two are combined, along the lines of "It's not necessarily the case that you're obliged to think when you watch... &c." but again I think this is just a bit garrulous.
Ok thanks, but would you understand it if it was said? I.e. say you were french and I said that would you understand it
Reply 3
Urm well, it is a bit confusing, to be honest with you. (The french, that is). Looks like a classic example of transliteration to me.
What about Il n'est pas toujours nécessaire...(rather than il ne fautpas qu'on doive)
Well, I'm not French, but I think I can say reasonably well that you'd be understood, but people would also think you could say it more elegantly. You can normally be "undestood" by saying subject, verb (infinitive) and object in that order :wink:
Ce n'est pas necessaire de penser en regardant la tele.

No need for devoir in this sentence.
Reply 6
Whilst reading it, it sounds way too convoluted. As Fillette has already said, it would probably be better to express yourself using "Il n'est pas toujours nécessaire...", as it immediately makes the rest of the sentence understandable without having to re-read the sentence a second time.

Latest

Trending

Trending