Turn on thread page Beta

Most of the people on here talk about 'Oxford' which is maybe because more people are Oxford. So which in your oppinion is a better University and do you have any valid reasons behind your answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    Most of the people on here talk about 'Oxford' which is maybe because more people are Oxford. So which in your oppinion is a better University and do you have any valid reasons behind your answer?
    is there any point to this argument? both universities are in a class of their own and have their strengths and weaknesses.

Oxford people can't spell. They use the 'ize' suffix and a double conjunction - i.e. the comma before and.

I voted for Cambridge -over here (Norway), it is viewed as the most prestigeous.

ReputationRep:
    I voted for Cambridge -over here (Norway), it is viewed as the most prestigeous.
    That's odd, a lot of people outside the UK view Oxford as the most prestigious.

ReputationRep:
    It's true - Cambridge is generally viewed as more prestigious, perhaps because it is viewed as more "scientific" and science rules the knowledge hierarchy.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge all the way - it comes first academically and hence first in all the league tables.

Plus, I'm applying there, so it must be the best one

However, Oxford seems to have built up a more international reputation. Certainly in India/Pakistan etc that's true - it may be because of the widely available Oxford dictionaries.

Oh oh and it also depends on the individual subject! I don't know, but there seems to be a general consensus that Oxford is the best for Law...I may be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muffe)
    It's true - Cambridge is generally viewed as more prestigious, perhaps because it is viewed as more "scientific" and science rules the knowledge hierarchy.
    Who on says that science rules the knowledge hierarchy?

lol out of nothing other that uni loyalty, I say Oxford

The Statistics Say Cambridge Is The Best, Therefore Cambridge Is The Best. We Are On About Generally, And I Base It On Statistics. Obviously People Have Individual Preferences, But All The League Tables Say Cambridge. If You Talk About "prestige", Then Thats A Different Amtter, But Cambridge "is" The Best University In The Uk. There Is "zero" Doubt About That. Its Not Opinion, Its Fact.

ReputationRep:
    The Statistics Say Cambridge Is The Best, Therefore Cambridge Is The Best. We Are On About Generally, And I Base It On Statistics. Obviously People Have Individual Preferences, But All The League Tables Say Cambridge. If You Talk About "prestige", Then Thats A Different Amtter, But Cambridge "is" The Best University In The Uk. There Is "zero" Doubt About That. Its Not Opinion, Its Fact.
    Absolutely! I'd like you more if you registered and stopped writing in caps

Adshur, I Am The Legendary Maskall.i Am Always Correct, Even When I Am Wrong

ReputationRep:
    You just contradicted yourself, n00b.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Absolutely! I'd like you more if you registered and stopped writing in caps
    old habits die hard for the great maskall :rolleyes:

re. the question, i say oxford, because cambridge is just a ripoff of it :P

ReputationRep:
    Err...ok, if you say so. :rolleyes:

Edders, You Know You Are Jealous. You Can Aska Nybody, And They Always Bow To The Great Maskall. He Has Won The Nobel Peace Prize. Lol "peace". Maskall Is Always Right, Even When He Is Wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Who on says that science rules the knowledge hierarchy?
    The Newtonian mechanistic world view in academia and amongst the intelligentsia.

You type like the child you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muffe)
    The Newtonian mechanistic world view in academia and amongst the intelligentsia.
    Actually, I think you'll find that scholasticism and humanism have been more prevalent throughout world history

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Actually, I think you'll find that scholasticism and humanism have been more prevalent throughout world history
    go tek

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.