Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Reasonably okay to get grades. Thanks for all this great advice, it has helped greatly in my choices!

Also, TSR rocks! :tsr:

i couldnt have got all this advice without it

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing 6 subjects - it's certainly possible! Last year I did 5 AS levels and this year I'm doing 1 AS and 6 A2s - but I think I may be chickening out of one of the A2 exams, because it is a lot of work. 5 is fine but I think I was pushing it with 6, even though two are self-taught - and one of those is General Studies

If your school timetables it then I'd say go for it, and if it's too much work then just drop one

I take: English Lit
    French
    Drama & Theatre Studies
    Music
    Classical Civilisation (probably dropping the A2 on this because it's self-taught and I've fallen really far behind)
    General Studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staylor)
    I would be interested on applying to Oxbridge or other top Unis.
    You don't need to do five to be considered for Oxbridge. You should probably do four rather than three (to show you work hard), but most of their offers are based on 3subjects only.

If you want to impress Oxbridge, then in my opinion don't worry about the difference between 4&5 a-levels and sign up for an AEA in year13 instead - I got quizzed for a few mins in my Cam interview about the AEAs I was doing, why I was doing more than anyone else from my school, etc., and they made a big deal about how it showed that I was self-motivated. They
    didn't mention the fact that I'd done 5 AS's at all.
    Seriously, if you can do 'em, AEAs are the way forward lol

Just my 2c,

ZarathustraX

ReputationRep:
    Yay! Nice to see somebody being really being positive about 5 a-levels!
    (though no offence if you tried to be positive )

Thanks to all (again) for their great advice

ReputationRep:
    I am not being funny here but i do not understand why you want to do 5/ 6 A levels. You are only applying more pressure upon yourself. If universities want three B's at A level and you take 6 A levels then they will near enough expect all of the subjects to be at the same level. I do five AS levels and will take three A Levels. Universtities are not looking for who has the most A levels- they want a student to be well rounded, have a personality and other interests outside of their studies. Do not weigh yourself down focusing on the academia too much; it really isn't needed.

Lou
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    um - forgive my naivete but what are AEAs? I have not heard this term before

I probably would drop somthing A2, as well as the IT, but I do enjoy all of the subjects and I am not sure what I want to do in the future so they all seem so inviting . I dont know which ones woud be the best for me anyway.

I should be having a careers interview soon so perhaps that will help me to choose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkly_tiara)
    I am not being funny here but i do not understand why you want to do 5/ 6 A levels. You are only applying more pressure upon yourself. If universities want three B's at A level and you take 6 A levels then they will near enough expect all of the subjects to be at the same level. I do five AS levels and will take three A Levels. Universtities are not looking for who has the most A levels- they want a student to be well rounded, have a personality and other interests outside of their studies. Do not weigh yourself down focusing on the academia too much; it really isn't needed.

Lou
    xxx
    I wanted to do 5 because I was interested in all of them and couldn't decide which to drop! I had wanted to do 6, but the sixth couldn't be timetabled. It's still possible to do 5 A-Levels and do all of the extra-curricular stuff that you want to do. Some people thrive working under that kind of pressure anyway, and like pushing themselves. If at any point I felt unhappy or too pressured with what I was taking, I would have given something up, but because I did loads of stuff outside of the work, it wasn't as though my 2 years were only focussed on work - it gave me a bit of breathing space.

It's all personal preference I guess, and if you feel you can cope with it all, and will enjoy it, then why not go for it - it won't do you any harm, and if you don't enjoy it, there's always the opportunity to drop one. Anyhows - that's what I reckon! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Create)
    I wanted to do 5 because I was interested in all of them and couldn't decide which to drop! I had wanted to do 6, but the sixth couldn't be timetabled. It's still possible to do 5 A-Levels and do all of the extra-curricular stuff that you want to do. Some people thrive working under that kind of pressure anyway, and like pushing themselves. If at any point I felt unhappy or too pressured with what I was taking, I would have given something up, but because I did loads of stuff outside of the work, it wasn't as though my 2 years were only focussed on work - it gave me a bit of breathing space.
    I'm exactly the same - I'm heavily involved in extra-curricular stuff as well so I don't feel like work has taken over my life or anything ^_^ I love pressure, too, so I've sort of done it for myself in a way.

Now that I am feeling pressure I'm letting one go as an AS because I know it's time to - but I've loved studying by myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fasterpurple)
    I'm exactly the same - I'm heavily involved in extra-curricular stuff as well so I don't feel like work has taken over my life or anything ^_^ I love pressure, too, so I've sort of done it for myself in a way.

Now that I am feeling pressure I'm letting one go as an AS because I know it's time to - but I've loved studying by myself
    When you say you loved studying by yourself do you mean that you actuallybought the textbook and taught yourself the course or what??? Is/was there any knd of teaching involved at school?

Forgiv me if he answer is supposed to be obvious

ReputationRep:
    um - forgive my naivete but what are AEAs? I have not heard this term before
    AEAs are Advanced Extension Awards. They're basically designed for the top 10% of students in a particular subject who are almost certain to get an A. They're separate exams where you can get either Merit or Distinction and about half of all candidates fail them, but they don't affect your A-level grade in any way, so you have nothing to lose really. I think the exams are quite long (about 3 hours, depending on the subject) but they're designed to see how you cope with new material outside of your A-level syllabus and think for yourself by using what you already know to help you get the answers, so they don't require extra teaching.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting - are these for all subjects and do all schols do them? I have heard nothing about this! :confused:

Thank you for this information - I would definitely be interested in this, but even if they are available to me I'd have never heard anything about them at my school :mad:.

What did you think of the AEAs Zarathustra? (and anybody else whohas done them)

ReputationRep:
    When you say you loved studying by yourself do you mean that you actuallybought the textbook and taught yourself the course or what??? Is/was there any knd of teaching involved at school?

Forgiv me if he answer is supposed to be obvious
    I ordered the course details through my school, but they didn't teach me at all. They entered me for the exams but that was all they did. Because it was Classical Civilisation basically I just had to order the teaching specification and get the texts, because it's 60% literary study ^_^ I don't think it would work for some subjects but it did for this.

The only problem with it was that there are no classics teachers at school so I had to evaluate myself. I would suggest that it would help if you independent studied a subject that your school offers, that way they can offer you support ^_^

ReputationRep:
    I do 5 A-Levels. I do Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Politics. I intended on dropping politics but i really liked it and its a fresh break from all the science, i also got 286/300 so its an easy A at A-Level. I wouldnt drop a science because i am a hardcore science person. I manage it alright. Its hard work during exam periods but at other time not so much so at other times.

I am not sure if its worth doing 5. I do it because I like my subjects. Also science subjects involve more thinking and less work then arts/essay subjects. So doing more then three art subjects is kinda crazy and a lot of work.

Also I think AVCE IT is equivalent to 2 a levels. Also it wont impress top unis because it aint a traditional academic subject. I dont think some even consider it as an A-Level subject.

If you are applying for Oxbridge and are doing 5 for the very purpose, then my advice is dont. Loads of people applying to Oxbridge do 4 or 5 or 6 or even more. So numbers doesnt impress them. Its all about he interview and how you perform at that.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thanks. It is interesting to see somebody else considering all the sciences and maths, and nice to see that you seem to be managing. Its partly the 'more thnking and less work' side which interests me too :p: . Im not too bad at exams so I might well consider these ideas.

im still interested in AEAs - can anybody whos done them tell me about them?

ReputationRep:
    I am supposed to be doing a biology AEA in June, we are doing some studying for it at the moment. Absolute waste of time. None of my unis attached it as an offer or think very much of it. I certainly wouldnt reccommend it. I am dropping it soon.

One piece of advice mate, work hard for your GCSEs and get yourself all A*s and A's if you looking at top unis. Most people apply with AAA predictions so to differentiate they will use GCSEs. Out of interest what subject are you considering at university?

ReputationRep:
    For university - Im really not sure . I can say that it will definitely be something to do with science or maths, so I shouldnt be letting my self in for any falls . I really need to speak to a careers advisor or something about this (and I should be anyway soon).

What course do you do for biology, and wha makes it so bad?

ReputationRep:
    Which type of science are you interested (biology, physics, chemistry)?

Since you might want to study math at uni, definately choose A-level maths. For science, choose 1 or 2 science subjects.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that I dont know which ones to choose - they all interest me, but I dont know which one might be best for me. I definitely want to do physics though as this is my favourite by far.

ReputationRep:
    You could do physics, maths, and 2 other courses. You might want to take one more science subject though.

ReputationRep:
    I think probably I would, yeah. Biology and chemistry both interest me and I wouldn't want to give both of them up. Or the 2 othr courses could be the IT and perhaps psychology...

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.