This discussion is closed.
Wild Thing
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Create)
I appreciate people's experiences etc but I still stand by that 5 is perfectly possible with not tooooo much stress and with still the time to do lots of extracurricular stuff. At the end of the day, it's down to the person who's taking them, and I think if you want to do it, you should start with them and just see how it goes. If you start off with 4 and then think you should have done 5 coz you're finding you've got a lot of spare time on your hands then it's too late. Go for the option with most options! If you find it too much - drop one - no harm done. Whenever I've got choices to make I always choose the one that would leave me with least regrets in hindsight. If you don't try, you'll never know. Go for it you've got nothing to lose
mmm...how many are you doing?? I'm doing 6 and so speak from experiece..
staylor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
So how do your propose to find the one which will leave the least regrets in hindsight/
Wild Thing
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by staylor)
So how do your propose to find the one which will leave the least regrets in hindsight/
yup
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think that just means that you have nothing to lose by taking on all 5 to start with because even if it's too much and you do end up dropping one, at least you've tried; whereas if you just take 4 but find that you could have coped with 5, you might regret only doing 4, but it would be quite difficult to pick up a subject later on as you'd have to catch up with all the work. It's a lot easier to drop an AS than to pick one up. Taking all 5 therefore gives you the option of doing 4 or 5, whereas only taking 4 realistically only leaves you with the option of doing 4.

Hopefully that makes more sense than it looks like it does.....
Wild Thing
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
I think that just means that you have nothing to lose by taking on all 5 to start with because even if it's too much and you do end up dropping one, at least you've tried; whereas if you just take 4 but find that you could have coped with 5, you might regret only doing 4, but it would be quite difficult to pick up a subject later on as you'd have to catch up with all the work. It's a lot easier to drop an AS than to pick one up. Taking all 5 therefore gives you the option of doing 4 or 5, whereas only taking 4 realistically only leaves you with the option of doing 4.

I totally agree
staylor
Rep:
?
Okay, so you say I have nothing to lose by doing 5 AS at least, if not A2?
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, what we're saying is there's no harm in starting 5 subjects at AS and then you can always drop one if you need to, but if you don't at least try doing all 5, you might regret it later on. You have nothing to lose by getting 5 AS/A-levels as long as you enjoy it, it's not putting you under too much stress, your grades don't suffer and you still have time left to enjoy yourself.
Wild Thing
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh yeah def..if you're smart you can take 6 AS no problem..I would suggest you to drop 1 for A2 and then if you want and its too much work, just drop one
staylor
Rep:
?
Right. Great even.

Shall do
messy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I started off doing 5AS's in biology,chemistry,physics, maths and further maths with the intention of carrying all 5 on to A2. however i found maths and further maths to be a bt too much especially as our teacher was never around. In the end i ended up doing an extra maths module and only doing maths with no further maths of any sort. As a result of being pushed way too hard with no real help i ended up screwing up my P2 and P3. Luckily my maths didnt really affect my uni application (especially as i was predicted an A)
michaela_banana
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hey, i do 5 as this year and i'm not finding it a lot of work. I take maths chem and bio same as you would, along with f. maths and psych. We do salters chem, and its not a lot of work at all, that course is not too dissimilar from nuffield. it just depends on whether or not you enjoy it (i do, i am a chem nut). I manage to get all my work done during the week so i am free at weekends, and i obviously still have time during the week, otherwise i wouldn't be on this message board (however i might be out on this friday night...) Its true that you can always drop something if the work gets too much. better to start with 5 and discover something you really love, than skip that subject altogether.
staylor
Rep:
?
Righto/rightho/rightyho whatever

5 AS levels seems like a better and beter idea. THanks for all this feedback (never expected 5 pages )
RayOfHope
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
I started with 4 AS levels and added an extra one so i am doing a level maths in one year. my life felt incomplete when i didn't take maths too!!!
staylor
Rep:
?
lol :p:

Did you handle the transition okay (4 to 5 AS)
Checking for Spies
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
How do you guys manage to get that many hours of lessons timetabled? :confused:
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Probably they have short lesson times, so they will have more subjects to take.
hero
Badges: 1
Report 14 years ago
I've currently doing my A2s, Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology
Im quite stressed at the moment and really want to drop maths because i'm finding it the hardest and can't be bothered to learn anymore rediculous rules and equations.
Biology and chemistry is ok, the work isnt that hard you just need to remember it.
Physics has the least stuff to remember but i find it hard.
I really want to drop maths (lost interest) but having applied for university Maths is the highest predicted grade I got and if I drop that then it may cause universites to reject me so I dunno what to do at the moment...
My advice to you is that if you are motivated and do not lose interest then doing 4 A2s should be fine...but at the end of the day you can just drop one whenever you want.
hope that helps you
Create
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by wild thing)
mmm...how many are you doing?? I'm doing 6 and so speak from experiece..
I did 5.
Create
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)

That's exactly what I meant
Apologies if I didn't make it clear.
Jump
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think you should look at how each of the subjects are examined aswell, I'm doing 4 A2s at the moments 2 of which are coursework heavy with another with a large chunk and it's terrible having deadlines overlapping, especially if you're not a 'coursework person'.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (31)
25%
No (93)
75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise