This discussion is closed.
RayOfHope
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
The transition from 4 to 5 for me was ok. Mainly because I take many subjects that do not require coursework (only Biology and English Lit. reqiuire it). Good thing is they all fit into my timetable perfectly!!!
JrW
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Out of these subjects, which do you have to do coursework for for AS:

Maths, Further Maths, History, Economics, German

?
RayOfHope
Report 14 years ago
My friend does history and she had to do coursework as well as timed essay for History. Maths does not involve any coursework, just exams. Not sure about Economics and German as I don't study them.
RayOfHope
Report 14 years ago
If you need any extra info just send me PM.
JrW
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Cool, thanks I will...when I need some info
Create
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm not sure if it's changed now - it may well have done, but as part of my Stats 3 module, I had to do some coursework. Sorry if this info is out of date!
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Create)
I'm not sure if it's changed now - it may well have done, but as part of my Stats 3 module, I had to do some coursework. Sorry if this info is out of date!
I think every subject will have at least 1 or 2 pieces of coursework.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jamierwilliams)
Out of these subjects, which do you have to do coursework for for AS:

Maths, Further Maths, History, Economics, German

?
I think it depends on the exam board. I'm with Edexcel for AS history and we have coursework fior one of the units.
dustyjim
Report 14 years ago
I did 4 AS Levels and 1 A2 last year and found it uber. uber difficult - namely because of the complete change of pace between GCSE and AS/A2. My A2 teaching compeltely chanegd as I had moved to a new college and had to start lessons earlier than everyone else (which did make college a lot more easier annd bearable come Septemebr when everybody else started).

Anyway, the work was so difficult for the first few months but gradualyl you adjust and then you realise that it really isn't that difficult - as long as you set aside time it should be all fine

And four A2s in the second year isn't difficult - I'm doing it now and I picked up an extra AS (plus General Studies A2 which we're forced to do). Timetabling is a little harsh because I have the same timetable as somebody in the first year, but a little worse because of myextar AS. Anyways, I've realised that the etxra AS is going to be useless and I've dropped it. Basically, extra subjects are just about making sure that you spend a bit extra time on private study (even if it means not going to the lessons .- I've found that I do nothing in lessons than have a laugh with everybody - they've ended up more like a social event than a learning event - it's liek they're a resource rather than a requirement not!) And if you get in a muddle then just drop the subject that will help you the most to drop and which you dislike the most or don't need. I'm dropping my extra AS because it's just stupid me carrying it on because it isn't in any of my offers and I just don't have the time (it exhautss me doing it because all the lessons are early mornign and often they're my first lesson - I can stay in bed for so much longer after I've dropped it which will be the first week back after half term - even though I've already chucked away my notes (such a good feeling!))
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by staylor)
I am halfway through my second year of GCSE's and need o choose my A levels. I want to do 5 but dont know if this would be too much work. These 5 would be:

Physics
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
IT AVCE (second year)

I would intend to carry all of them to A2, although I would finish the IT in the first year, leaving only four A2s in the second year (I am already halfway through the IT)

Has anybody had any experience and could help me - would this be too hard?
take into account you are doing the equivelt of 6 alevels as AVCE is 2. i think you'll die. 5 alevels ok, do 5 AS's and can drop one if u need at end of yr1
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by magiccarpet)
take into account you are doing the equivelt of 6 alevels as AVCE is 2. i think you'll die. 5 alevels ok, do 5 AS's and can drop one if u need at end of yr1
Technically the thread starter would only be doing 5 because they're doing the first half of the AVCE (ie the first A-level) this year.
staylor
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
And getting a d*mned E in the exam I might add :mad:
SB
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by staylor)
Chemistry is perhaps the most doubtful one - what is it like (my school does the Nuffield course)
Chemistry is seen as the hardest A level you can take, it really is hell when you get deep into the organic chemistry (alkanes, alkenes, alcohols, ketones, aldehydes etc.) unless you're really interested.
I'd think very very carefully before you commit yourself to that workload, unless you absolutely love all the subjects there really are very few career benefits - unis will only consider 4 a levels for example.
andy_
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I decided to do 5 as levels, trying to keep my options open for when i am going to choose my course at uni. I was going to drop a subject but never got round to it as i wasnt really struggling. The only reason i wanted to drop down to 4 was so i would have more frees. As i only get like 4 frees a week, but i play sport in two of them and have a couple of lunchtime lessons so my frees are kinda cancelled out.

I dont spend much time in the evenings or weekends on my subjects unless i gotta revise for a test or do an important piece of homework. Also i work all day sunday, and have quite a good social life. But apart from basketball and football, I dont have any time really for extracurricular/ucas stuff. So planning on doing loads next year. Probably drop down to 3 subjects. F. maths is interesting but timetabled out of block and boring with only 3 of us. Also dunno whtehr to drop physics to maybe make way for an arty AS next year. Don't really know what to do, will probably see when i get my results in the the summer.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (86)
68.25%
No I haven't decided yet (24)
19.05%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.7%

Watched Threads