The Student Room Group

I feel completely hopeless that I'll ever get close to being accepted into Harvard.

I've been aspiring to go to Harvard since the age of 11. I'm in year 8 of UK secondary school (13 y.o. currently) and I wasn't accepted to any secondary schools I applied to through the 11+ exam, having scored only 176 out of 200+ marks. However I have enjoyed my high school life so far and many of my peers considered me gifted as my grades were usually the highest in my class, and an IQ test determined that my IQ was 130. This has driven me more to achieve a lot higher and has increased my confidence and interest in studying abroad at an Ivy League eventually. I started doing my research a few months ago to find out how I can be as successful as possible starting from my GCSEs. This research has suddenly made me aware of how hard it actually is to be accepted into Harvard, and seeing how much competition I would face when it came to my application (including seeing others that are much better than me) constantly makes me feel discouraged, burnt out and insecure. I realise that this is a very bad start and I try to open up to others and seek some advice, only to be met with a response of either "You're gifted/smart, you'll get in" from people who don't know what it takes, or "You won't get in, there's too much competition that you can't face" from people who have had success, and I've turned to the internet many times before only to see scary and confusing topics that I don't understand but feel like I should. It feels like a slap in the face and I hate it so much but I know that I can't change a thing to make my future application stronger, I have no opportunities for extracurricular success or any confidence left to pursue them. I'm holding on to the tiniest bit of reassurance that I'm overreacting and I'll be fine but it just never feels like enough.

Scroll to see replies

The developed world is around 1.5 billion in population and what, success is in the millions if not just the hundreds of thousands? Over 90% of that parameter goes to school or has went to school so how come such a small proportion find meaning in their lives? The world is swarming with raw talent but regretfully for many, talent is the ability to manifest not exist. Give up, regret and die or try, achieve and die knowing you did something.

Personally I think it is pure lunacy for a British bred to give his GCSES, achieve well and book a ticket to America but hey that’s circumstance I suppose.

Still existent,
Ineffable-
Original post by Anonymous
I've been aspiring to go to Harvard since the age of 11. I'm in year 8 of UK secondary school (13 y.o. currently) and I wasn't accepted to any secondary schools I applied to through the 11+ exam, having scored only 176 out of 200+ marks. However I have enjoyed my high school life so far and many of my peers considered me gifted as my grades were usually the highest in my class, and an IQ test determined that my IQ was 130. This has driven me more to achieve a lot higher and has increased my confidence and interest in studying abroad at an Ivy League eventually. I started doing my research a few months ago to find out how I can be as successful as possible starting from my GCSEs. This research has suddenly made me aware of how hard it actually is to be accepted into Harvard, and seeing how much competition I would face when it came to my application (including seeing others that are much better than me) constantly makes me feel discouraged, burnt out and insecure. I realise that this is a very bad start and I try to open up to others and seek some advice, only to be met with a response of either "You're gifted/smart, you'll get in" from people who don't know what it takes, or "You won't get in, there's too much competition that you can't face" from people who have had success, and I've turned to the internet many times before only to see scary and confusing topics that I don't understand but feel like I should. It feels like a slap in the face and I hate it so much but I know that I can't change a thing to make my future application stronger, I have no opportunities for extracurricular success or any confidence left to pursue them. I'm holding on to the tiniest bit of reassurance that I'm overreacting and I'll be fine but it just never feels like enough.

What are your stats, extracurriculars, SAT/ACT if taken?

If you're doing well, you have a chance. You can always apply to multiple universities. Eventually one elite university will accept you, as long as you have an elite-level application.
Reply 3
What is your K/D bro?
Original post by BBCman
What is your K/D bro?

so real
fr fr
thats so true!
so real
fr fr
thats so true!

Mad! I agree fully

Curiously well written for someone aged 13.
Original post by BBCman
What is your K/D bro?

Wise words sir!
Reply 8
Original post by ageshallnot

Rather insightful sir!
I must say I would agree with this very statement.

Agreed
Never known a year 8 to say something like . "However I have enjoyed my high school life so far and many of my peers considered me gifted as my grades were usually the highest in my class, and an IQ test determined that my IQ was 130. This has driven me more to achieve a lot higher and has increased my confidence and interest in studying abroad at an Ivy League eventually. "
Reply 10

Can't agree more,I am an English learner from China,now work in Africa,I like his vocabulary.
Original post by lhj123
Can't agree more,I am an English learner from China,now work in Africa,I like his vocabulary.

"His"???
Reply 12
"His"???

it's???I am not sure
Original post by lhj123
it's???I am not sure

“their” if you are unsure :wink:
Reply 14
Original post by Admit-One

thank you so much
Original post by Admit-One

What about if the "author" is AI?
(edited 1 year ago)
Hey! Getting into Harvard is indeed incredibly difficult and few succeed. However, it's not impossible. You are only in year 8. You have plenty of time. You haven't even started GCSEs yet!! For now, focus on doing a variety of extracurriculars and volunteering. American universities love this. Then work hard and get organised (always having that goal in mind to motivate you) to get high GCSEs, high A-Levels/IB, and high SATs/ACTs. For American Ivy Leagues it's important to take into account that most people who apply will also have the high grades, so you want to find something that will set you apart from the rest e.g. your essay, an interesting range of extracurriculars or volunteering. If you want, there are services dedicated to help British students get into American universities so you could find yourself a tutor after doing some research.

A word of warning: Don't think that just because you are branded a gifted kid with a high IQ that that will be enough to get you through all of this. Especially because everyone applying to Harvard will also be a gifted kid with a high IQ. Just try your best, but also make sure you don't burn out. Do some interesting hobbies t relax/take your mind off school, take rest days to hang out with friends, and take care of your mental and physical health. That is all equally important.

If you work hard enough and do your research and preparation it is possible.
Reply 17
What about if the "author" is AI?

So it should be right for me to learn English here,beacuse I can learn a lot from each reply
Original post by kaorimiyazono
Hey! Getting into Harvard is indeed incredibly difficult and few succeed. However, it's not impossible. You are only in year 8. You have plenty of time. You haven't even started GCSEs yet!! For now, focus on doing a variety of extracurriculars and volunteering. American universities love this. Then work hard and get organised (always having that goal in mind to motivate you) to get high GCSEs, high A-Levels/IB, and high SATs/ACTs. For American Ivy Leagues it's important to take into account that most people who apply will also have the high grades, so you want to find something that will set you apart from the rest e.g. your essay, an interesting range of extracurriculars or volunteering. If you want, there are services dedicated to help British students get into American universities so you could find yourself a tutor after doing some research.

A word of warning: Don't think that just because you are branded a gifted kid with a high IQ that that will be enough to get you through all of this. Especially because everyone applying to Harvard will also be a gifted kid with a high IQ. Just try your best, but also make sure you don't burn out. Do some interesting hobbies t relax/take your mind off school, take rest days to hang out with friends, and take care of your mental and physical health. That is all equally important.

If you work hard enough and do your research and preparation it is possible.

thank you so much, this information helps a lot! :smile:
Why Harvard and Ivy League specifically, what's wrong with top UK unis?
(edited 1 year ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending