The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

can i get into oxford with BBC

i dont like any uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by sarank
i dont like any uni

It is difficult to say with certainty whether or not you can get into Oxford with grades of BBC, as admissions decisions at prestigious universities like Oxford depend on a variety of factors beyond just grades, including your personal statement, letters of recommendation, and performance on entrance exams.

That being said, Oxford is one of the most competitive universities in the world, and their typical offer for undergraduate admissions is AAA or A*AA at A-levels. While some courses may accept slightly lower grades, BBC is generally considered below the usual standard for Oxford admissions.

However, if you have other strengths that could make you stand out as a candidate, such as exceptional extracurricular activities or work experience, then it's possible that you may still be considered for admission. Your best course of action would be to research the specific course and admission requirements for the program you're interested in and to speak with an admissions officer at the university to get a better sense of your chances.
Have you looked at the foundation year eligibility?
Reply 3
Original post by usman352
It is difficult to say with certainty whether or not you can get into Oxford with grades of BBC, as admissions decisions at prestigious universities like Oxford depend on a variety of factors beyond just grades, including your personal statement, letters of recommendation, and performance on entrance exams.

That being said, Oxford is one of the most competitive universities in the world, and their typical offer for undergraduate admissions is AAA or A*AA at A-levels. While some courses may accept slightly lower grades, BBC is generally considered below the usual standard for Oxford admissions.

However, if you have other strengths that could make you stand out as a candidate, such as exceptional extracurricular activities or work experience, then it's possible that you may still be considered for admission. Your best course of action would be to research the specific course and admission requirements for the program you're interested in and to speak with an admissions officer at the university to get a better sense of your chances.

my dad works at oxford and he said this is chatgpt
Original post by sarank
can i get into oxford with BBC

No.

Only about 2.5% of students admitted each year have less than their "minimum standard offer" of AAA. (Source)

They don't provide stats for how many had which grades within that 2.5%, but I'm willing to bet that 0% had BBC.
Reply 5
Original post by DataVenia
No.

Only about 2.5% of students admitted each year have less than their "minimum standard offer" of AAA. (Source)

They don't provide stats for how many had which grades within that 2.5%, but I'm willing to bet that 0% had BBC.

what if?
Original post by sarank
what if?

What if what?
Reply 7
Original post by DataVenia
What if what?

what if i was in that less than 2.5% tho??
No, you're not getting in with those grades. Sorry.
The short answer is no, but it's your choice whether to waste a UCAS choice on an immediate rejection.
Original post by Oxfordbound
Have you looked at the foundation year eligibility?

I believe the LMH foundation year requires ABB minimum, unless they changed it recently.
Original post by sarank
i dont like any uni

I was also interested in trying out for Oxford, however I found out early on that getting into Oxford would be extremely unlikely and I'd much rather try again for a master's program if I wish to do so after my undergrad. The answer is no, there's no point applying for a highly prestigious university where the vast majority of students either have the AAA requirement or exceed that. You'd be better off applying for another course elsewhere.
Reply 12
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
No, you're not getting in with those grades. Sorry.

why
Reply 13
Original post by artful_lounger
I believe the LMH foundation year requires ABB minimum, unless they changed it recently.

whats that
Unless you have an olympic medal, play in the London symphony orchestra or have a nobel peace prize, id suggest you would be better investing your time researching other universities.
Original post by sarank
why

Because they're way too low for Oxford.
Original post by mnot
Unless you have an olympic medal, play in the London symphony orchestra or have a nobel peace prize, id suggest you would be better investing your time researching other universities.

Malala had the peace prize and still had to meet the standard grade requirements, mind you!
Malala had the peace prize and still had to meet the standard grade requirements, mind you!

Yes, i was thinking even this wouldn’t be enough unless the activities directly apply to the course they’ve applied for.

i was really thinking if 2.5% of people fall below the formal straight As requirements then they likely also have something else that makes them incredibly exceptional such that one of the colleges will make an incredible exception for the grades.

The LMH foundation year doesn't exist anymore after it was merged into the Astrophoria programme, which, if I recall correctly, requires a minimum of BBB and so many contextual flags that you have to tick off virtually every box to be in with a chance (and rightly so!). It also only currently runs for a small selection of courses.

Apart from that, the only other course I can think of with a standard offer lower than AAA is Fine Art (AAB) which requires a portfolio.

I know that a considerable number of candidates get in with say, AAB (1 grade below for a lot of humanities courses), but again, they're specific cases and don't apply to the majority of people.
Original post by Anonymous
The LMH foundation year doesn't exist anymore after it was merged into the Astrophoria programme, which, if I recall correctly, requires a minimum of BBB and so many contextual flags that you have to tick off virtually every box to be in with a chance (and rightly so!). It also only currently runs for a small selection of courses.

Apart from that, the only other course I can think of with a standard offer lower than AAA is Fine Art (AAB) which requires a portfolio.

I know that a considerable number of candidates get in with say, AAB (1 grade below for a lot of humanities courses), but again, they're specific cases and don't apply to the majority of people.

Ah I didn't know they had launched a wider programme - I thought Oxford still just had the LMH scheme in place :smile: Glad they've expanded it at least!

Latest