Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    you know how you cite studies in the text of an essay? you include the name and date of whoever did the research eg (smith 1977).
    well i did this loads of times in my essay and got a comment back saying 'there is no link whatsoever between citations (sp) and referencing'.

Well how i am supposed to let the reader know what book the study is from if i can only put the name and date :confused:
    i mean its not as though you write the citation next to the reference so how is the reader supposed to know i don't understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horrorboy)
    you know how you cite studies in the text of an essay? you include the name and date of whoever did the research eg (smith 1977).
    well i did this loads of times in my essay and got a comment back saying 'there is no link whatsoever between citations (sp) and referencing'.

Well how i am supposed to let the reader know what book the study is from if i can only put the name and date :confused:
    i mean its not as though you write the citation next to the reference so how is the reader supposed to know i don't understand.
    i dunno :confused: i do when im writing an essay but your question is confusing

ReputationRep:
    you should look in the back of the books you used and they should have referenced each study. Copy the reference from the book and put it in a reference section at the end of your essay.

Include a bibliography as well with all the books you used.

This website should explain how to set out each reference. Make sure you put everything in alphabetical order of the surname.
    http://www.lmu.ac.uk/lss/ls/docs/harvfron.htm

ReputationRep:
    Has midnight's link probably shows you should use the harvard referencing system, so for exmple I wrote a book and you wanted to quote me do somthing like.

"Accessabile web design should be cocnsidered essential to developing a good site rather than somthing you simply have to do by law"

(Amazingtrade, I, 2004)

Then later do the bibiolography

Amazingtrade, I (2004), Designing Websites for Local Government, AT Publishing, Manchesester, UK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Has midnight's link probably shows you should use the harvard referencing system, so for exmple I wrote a book and you wanted to quote me do somthing like.

"Accessabile web design should be cocnsidered essential to developing a good site rather than somthing you simply have to do by law"

(Amazingtrade, I, 2004)

Then later do the bibiolography

Amazingtrade, I (2004), Designing Websites for Local Government, AT Publishing, Manchesester, UK
    cheers all The thing is though, what if the name i cited wasn't the author of the book. Using your example, say if in a page of your book it referred to someone elses study, say (midnight 2003), and i mentioned his study in my text and cited his name. I would have got the info from your book, it wasn't midnight's book, so in the bibilography the reference would be as u mentioned above. (amazintrade, I (2004), Designing W............................... ..)

However how would the reader who came across my cite (midnight 2003), know that it was from your book? :confused:

It just doesn't link :confused: Thats what i got reduced marks for, the cite's not linking to references

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you have to make sure you use the right referencing for psych! :eek:

I didn't in first year for a couple essays and got marked down soo much for it

By second year, I knew what I was doing wrong, so it was quickly fixed, and got better grades with ease

Over here we have to use the APA (American Psych Association) referencing for psychology, and Harvard for sociology. I don't know why, it's just our uni.

Danni x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horrorboy)
    cheers all The thing is though, what if the name i cited wasn't the author of the book. Using your example, say if in a page of your book it referred to someone elses study, say (midnight 2003), and i mentioned his study in my text and cited his name. I would have got the info from your book, it wasn't midnight's book, so in the bibilography the reference would be as u mentioned above. (amazintrade, I (2004), Designing W............................... ..)

However how would the reader who came across my cite (midnight 2003), know that it was from your book? :confused:

It just doesn't link :confused: Thats what i got reduced marks for, the cite's not linking to references
    I believe, in the footnote, you'd write something along the lines of 'Cited in book and page number' (of the page where the study is mentioned). Then in the bibliography you'd just name the book itself. But check with your teacher if you're not sure...

ReputationRep:
    This website will give you a good bibliography/referencing stuff. http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handou...rch/r_apa.html

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.