psychology referencing - i don't understand

Watch
This discussion is closed.
horrorboy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
you know how you cite studies in the text of an essay? you include the name and date of whoever did the research eg (smith 1977).
well i did this loads of times in my essay and got a comment back saying 'there is no link whatsoever between citations (sp) and referencing'.

Well how i am supposed to let the reader know what book the study is from if i can only put the name and date :confused:
i mean its not as though you write the citation next to the reference so how is the reader supposed to know i don't understand.
alio~
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by horrorboy)
you know how you cite studies in the text of an essay? you include the name and date of whoever did the research eg (smith 1977).
well i did this loads of times in my essay and got a comment back saying 'there is no link whatsoever between citations (sp) and referencing'.

Well how i am supposed to let the reader know what book the study is from if i can only put the name and date :confused:
i mean its not as though you write the citation next to the reference so how is the reader supposed to know i don't understand.
i dunno :confused: i do when im writing an essay but your question is confusing
midnight
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
you should look in the back of the books you used and they should have referenced each study. Copy the reference from the book and put it in a reference section at the end of your essay.

Include a bibliography as well with all the books you used.

This website should explain how to set out each reference. Make sure you put everything in alphabetical order of the surname.
http://www.lmu.ac.uk/lss/ls/docs/harvfron.htm
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Has midnight's link probably shows you should use the harvard referencing system, so for exmple I wrote a book and you wanted to quote me do somthing like.

"Accessabile web design should be cocnsidered essential to developing a good site rather than somthing you simply have to do by law"

(Amazingtrade, I, 2004)

Then later do the bibiolography

Amazingtrade, I (2004), Designing Websites for Local Government, AT Publishing, Manchesester, UK
horrorboy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Has midnight's link probably shows you should use the harvard referencing system, so for exmple I wrote a book and you wanted to quote me do somthing like.

"Accessabile web design should be cocnsidered essential to developing a good site rather than somthing you simply have to do by law"

(Amazingtrade, I, 2004)

Then later do the bibiolography

Amazingtrade, I (2004), Designing Websites for Local Government, AT Publishing, Manchesester, UK
cheers all The thing is though, what if the name i cited wasn't the author of the book. Using your example, say if in a page of your book it referred to someone elses study, say (midnight 2003), and i mentioned his study in my text and cited his name. I would have got the info from your book, it wasn't midnight's book, so in the bibilography the reference would be as u mentioned above. (amazintrade, I (2004), Designing W............................... ..)

However how would the reader who came across my cite (midnight 2003), know that it was from your book? :confused:

It just doesn't link :confused: Thats what i got reduced marks for, the cite's not linking to references
danni_bella
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah, you have to make sure you use the right referencing for psych! :eek:

I didn't in first year for a couple essays and got marked down soo much for it

By second year, I knew what I was doing wrong, so it was quickly fixed, and got better grades with ease

Over here we have to use the APA (American Psych Association) referencing for psychology, and Harvard for sociology. I don't know why, it's just our uni.

Danni x
dazednconfused
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by horrorboy)
cheers all The thing is though, what if the name i cited wasn't the author of the book. Using your example, say if in a page of your book it referred to someone elses study, say (midnight 2003), and i mentioned his study in my text and cited his name. I would have got the info from your book, it wasn't midnight's book, so in the bibilography the reference would be as u mentioned above. (amazintrade, I (2004), Designing W............................... ..)

However how would the reader who came across my cite (midnight 2003), know that it was from your book? :confused:

It just doesn't link :confused: Thats what i got reduced marks for, the cite's not linking to references
I believe, in the footnote, you'd write something along the lines of 'Cited in book and page number' (of the page where the study is mentioned). Then in the bibliography you'd just name the book itself. But check with your teacher if you're not sure...
trev
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
This website will give you a good bibliography/referencing stuff. http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handou...rch/r_apa.html
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (64)
41.03%
Take autumn exams (54)
34.62%
Look for a job (4)
2.56%
Consider an apprenticeship (4)
2.56%
Take a year out (21)
13.46%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.77%

Watched Threads