This discussion is closed.
Dontrylinos
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I've got a debate coming up ' This house would end the something for nothing culture' and we have to oppose it, but i'm really unsure of opposition arguments and the angle the proposition are going to take does anyone have any suggestions?
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What is the something for nothing culture once I know that I will try and help you.
material breach
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
What is the something for nothing culture once I know that I will try and help you.
i presume its about benifits, people getting handouts for no work?
Zarathustra
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
i presume its about benifits, people getting handouts for no work?
Oooh cool. In that case I bet the other team go all crazy New Right and start demonizing the "underclass"... ...on your marks, get set, DEFEND THOSE TEENAGE MOTHERS!!!

:rofl:

ZarathustraX
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
that money should be available for disadvantaged parts of our society
its shows how our society has a heart
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Could the thread starter give some clarification of the topic, as I dont particularly want to write a load of stuff for it only to be totally irrelevant.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
Could the thread starter give some clarification of the topic, as I dont particularly want to write a load of stuff for it only to be totally irrelevant.
Why change the habit of a lifetime?
Dontrylinos
Yeah sorry I wasn't very clear in the first place lol but that's because i'm not really that clear myself lol. I just don't know how they'll define it I mean one presumes it'll be about benefits and as you can probably guess from my sig i'm a pretty right wing kind of guy not into defending all that stuff lol. Any suggestions greatley appreciated!
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Dontrylinos)
Yeah sorry I wasn't very clear in the first place lol but that's because i'm not really that clear myself lol. I just don't know how they'll define it I mean one presumes it'll be about benefits and as you can probably guess from my sig i'm a pretty right wing kind of guy not into defending all that stuff lol. Any suggestions greatley appreciated!
Well, lol, you need to sharpen your wit, lol, and learn to argue both sides regardless of your personal point of view, lol. :rolleyes:
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well you could talk about how by supporting the people who aren't working at the moment you can keep them away from problems like crime and drugs which would be a further detriment to society. How supporting teenage mothers allows their children to have a better life therefore breaking the cycle. How we all have to live on this planet together so we should try and make sure that people are comfatable as then they are more likely to get jobs when there are jobs available.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
Well you could talk about how by supporting the people who aren't working at the moment you can keep them away from problems like crime and drugs which would be a further detriment to society. How supporting teenage mothers allows their children to have a better life therefore breaking the cycle. How we all have to live on this planet together so we should try and make sure that people are comfatable as then they are more likely to get jobs when there are jobs available.
I'm bound to say that I'd much rather argue from the other sides; that the jobless should be sent to workhouses and the children of single mothers sent up chimneys or to work in a gin house. Less PC but much more fun
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
I'm bound to say that I'd much rather argue from the other sides; that the jobless should be sent to workhouses and the children of single mothers sent up chimneys or to work in a gin house. Less PC but much more fun
Surprisingly I have to agree. I love debating the oposite side of the argument. . Sometimes it can be fun to argue something that your really don't agree with. I think that this person has the harder side of this debate
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by corey)
----
Thats not really in spirit of the forum.
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
Your right. Corrected, and a spirited forum response added.

On ideas of opposing the motion, I will personally be thinking along the lines of firstly disputing if their is really a 'something for nothing' society. Also, looking at issues related to what happens if we end this supposed something for nothing society what happens to children and such? Also, it might be worth looking at the Rawlsian arguments based on a hypothetical social contact while under a 'veil of ignorance' to what would be decided about equality and such.
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
I know I don't do it on this forum but when I used to be on my school debate society I used to enjoy debating the opposite side sometimes when were assigned the side that we had to argue. However when asked for my own oppinon on this forum I will give it.
Dontrylinos
(Original post by Howard)
Well, lol, you need to sharpen your wit, lol, and learn to argue both sides regardless of your personal point of view, lol. :rolleyes:
Well you know I do try, in earlier rounds I've argued against the monarchy, against America and against familly values certainly not my thing. But I struggle with this one you see I'm not a fan of all the liberal wishy washy support the unemployed etc etc. :rolleyes:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (24)
6.88%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.46%
I don't think they'd understand (53)
15.19%
It might lead to more bullying (135)
38.68%
There's nothing they could do (104)
29.8%

Watched Threads