University starting dates Watch

This discussion is closed.
Chris87
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I just noticed on UCAS track that next to one of my offers it says that the start date is October 2005 while all of my other offers say that the start date is September 2004. Is this normal? Why would some universities start a month later than others?
hallucination
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Chris87)
I just noticed on UCAS track that next to one of my offers it says that the start date is October 2005 while all of my other offers say that the start date is September 2004. Is this normal? Why would some universities start a month later than others?
Yes it is normal. It's not necessarily a month later...most universities start towards the end of September, whereas some start at the beginning of October. It makes no difference really. If I remember rightly, York starts very very late compared to other uni's.
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Each university is different. They have more freedom to pick and choose their dates than schools do.

Only two of mine start in September.

Some universities have provisional dates up on their websites. Look on the site map.
Kivin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It's usually the last week of September or the first week of October.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Depends which uni you go too, they usually start in late September or October. Most uni's start at late September though.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
A lot of cities tend to have the same dates, for example Manchester, Salford, MMU and Bolton all have exactly the same semester dates. This is so employers/landlords in Greater Manchester know where they are upto. It would be kaos if Manc, MMU and Salford all had different start dates.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I know some uni's that end sometime in May. I think they start early though, that is why they end early.
Chrism
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
A lot of cities tend to have the same dates, for example Manchester, Salford, MMU and Bolton all have exactly the same semester dates. This is so employers/landlords in Greater Manchester know where they are upto. It would be kaos if Manc, MMU and Salford all had different start dates.
Here in Sheffield the unis have different semester dates I think.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think semester dates will be more less the same anyway.
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Mine was the 20th september this year but it changes every year.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Just wondering, why do uni's start late in september than early september?
*Laura*
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I dunno but they finish a lot earlier than schools do, so perhaps because they can cover the content in a certain amount of time they make the summer longer than what schools have. I finish for the summer on June 8th, or possibly earlier
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
We start in October at Southampton University
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by trev)
Just wondering, why do uni's start late in september than early september?
Its to give UCAS enough time to cope with all the applicants I think. It also gives universities enough time to deal with graduation ceroneys, research and to ensure lectures get at least 25 paid holiday weeks per year
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.87%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27%
Not great so far... (283)
35.87%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.26%

Watched Threads