The Student Room Group

Application for law

Hi , I was wondering if anyone could comment as to whether they think I have a fair shot at getting into any of these unis . The ‘big’ ones that I’m thinking of applying to ( for Law) are Cambridge , UCL , LSE and Kings

My stats:
GCSE’s : 9999977654
The 4 was in Computer science🥲
Work experience and super curricular stuff: a week of 9-5 in a law firm attending meetings and tending to client cases on a legal database , writing wills etc , attending a law lecture at Oxford Uni , read two books recommended by Cambridge for Law , and I am planning on doing a foreign course .
Predicted grades at A level studying Politics , History and English Literature - A*,A*,A* or A* A* A

As an English student who’s always got full marks I’m planning on putting A LOT of effort into my personal statement :smile:

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if it’s actually possibly to get in to these unis with these stats and some good references as I feel like there’s a stigma that I would have to rescue Vietnamese children from a fire or start a charity to actually have a short for somewhere like Cambridge , but I’ve always had ambition anyways . But I would have to mention that I got a 5 in Maths and LSE and UCL both say you need a 6;/ but I got 9s that relate to the career I want to pursue there .

Thanks!
Original post by Malinirena05
Hi , I was wondering if anyone could comment as to whether they think I have a fair shot at getting into any of these unis . The ‘big’ ones that I’m thinking of applying to ( for Law) are Cambridge , UCL , LSE and Kings

My stats:
GCSE’s : 9999977654
The 4 was in Computer science🥲
Work experience and super curricular stuff: a week of 9-5 in a law firm attending meetings and tending to client cases on a legal database , writing wills etc , attending a law lecture at Oxford Uni , read two books recommended by Cambridge for Law , and I am planning on doing a foreign course .
Predicted grades at A level studying Politics , History and English Literature - A*,A*,A* or A* A* A

As an English student who’s always got full marks I’m planning on putting A LOT of effort into my personal statement :smile:

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if it’s actually possibly to get in to these unis with these stats and some good references as I feel like there’s a stigma that I would have to rescue Vietnamese children from a fire or start a charity to actually have a short for somewhere like Cambridge , but I’ve always had ambition anyways . But I would have to mention that I got a 5 in Maths and LSE and UCL both say you need a 6;/ but I got 9s that relate to the career I want to pursue there .

Thanks!

I meant to put forage** not foreign :biggrin:
I mean of course you have a fair shot at getting into those universities, there's little more that you could physically have done except maybe a 4th A-level. However, you cannot confuse a "fair shot" with a high chance/definite offer from these places as I personally got rejected from UCL and Kings this year after applying with 3 A*s, a good personal statement, and 29 on my LNAT. Talking about the LNAT, you should aim for 30 or over ideally (I got 29 after a last minute cram), so start preparing for that now. I know you said you're going to put a lot of effort into your personal statement, but as an English student myself, I found that it was difficult to put together towards the deadline. Try working on a rough plan now, and include: books, essay competitions, podcasts, work experience etc.
Original post by Malinirena05
Cambridge , UCL , LSE and Kings

Its not a great idea to apply to Cambridge and this many London Unis - your chances of all rejections, even with good grades, are very high.

Cambridge, one in London, and then Unis like Bristol, Manchester etc would mean you got some offers.
Original post by McGinger
Its not a great idea to apply to Cambridge and this many London Unis - your chances of all rejections, even with good grades, are very high.

Cambridge, one in London, and then Unis like Bristol, Manchester etc would mean you got some offers.

Why is it bad to apply to multiple London Unis?
Because they are super competitive and loads are getting rejected. This leads to a strong risk of ending up with no offers which has happened to others. Applying to 1 or 2 non LNAT universities increases the chances of getting at least some offers.

Latest

Trending

Trending