This discussion is closed.
cktlee1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lawgrad)
Be careful there....I think many UCL people will take issue with your incorrect implication that LSE is in any way superior (they don't even LOOK like a university, for crying out loud!). ;-)

But I agree in principle with all your observations about unnecessary academic snobbery.
LSE does not look like a university? :rolleyes:
cktlee1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
oh and actually, Kings has by far better reuptation then Royal Halloways in international basis...I never heard of RH, but Kings I hear it since I was little. But then I am not sure which Kings they are talking about lol.
Kew
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cktlee1)
oh and actually, Kings has by far better reuptation then Royal Halloways in international basis...I never heard of RH, but Kings I hear it since I was little. But then I am not sure which Kings they are talking about lol.
They're probably talking about King's College, Cambridge.
an Siarach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kew96158)
They're probably talking about King's College, Cambridge.
Nope. KCL is not in the same league as Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Imperial in terms of international recognition but it is known whereas RH generally isnt.
Kew
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by an Siarach)
Nope. KCL is not in the same league as Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Imperial in terms of international recognition but it is known whereas RH generally isnt.
But as you just said, KCL isn't nearly as well known internationally as Oxbridge, so it seems perfectly reasonable that they were referring to King's College, Cambridge, not KCL
kingslaw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by an Siarach)
Hmmm...I know 3 Chinese people doing Law at Kings, and who plan to return to Hong Kong when completed their training, who rejected UCL to go to Kings on the basis that the KCL Law School is better known their than UCL's.

Obviously this only tells us about the respected prestige of the Law Schools in HK, I don't know about the institutions in general.
kingslaw
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
...so it seems perfectly reasonable that they were referring to King's College, Cambridge, not KCL
Actually, it'd be perfectly reasonable to let the poster explain themselves.
kingslaw
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vigo)
I'm also giving up :-)
As i said i'm at imperial, i dont have anything against these 2 universities, i just happen to know that RHUL is better than King's in the subjects they have in common.Plus i definetely didnt expect to convince a student at King's.
At least you cant doubt that the research rating's are higher for RHUL for the majority of the subjects they have in common.
Surely King's was better in the past,but it is a common fact that it has declined a lot nowadays.

PS:I dont wanna start a voting pole asking students, i want you to find me an academic outside King's who would tell me that for subjects like physics,maths,computing etc King's is better than RHUL.You'll be surprised of what they'll tell you :-)
Being from Imperial, and judging from the subjects you've listed above, you seems to be concentrating on the sciences. You're ignoring some major flagship departments, such as Law, Philosophy, Music, War Studies, etc.
Kew
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kingslaw)
Actually, it'd be perfectly reasonable to let the poster explain themselves.
Actually, if you read the original comment, you would see that the poster was referring to someone else, not himself. He wasn't saying that he himself was confused between the two. That's why I commented.
Kew
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Being from Imperial, and judging from the subjects you've listed above, you seems to be concentrating on the sciences. You're ignoring some major flagship departments, such as Law, Philosophy, Music, War Studies, etc.
As the top Music department in London (apart from places like the Royal Academy of course), the RHUL Music department is more prestigious than the King's one - it has the highest possible research rating (6*), showing that it is internationally renowned, with world-class academics. It truly is a 'major flagship' department.
kingslaw
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
As the top Music department in London (apart from places like the Royal Academy of course), the RHUL Music department is more prestigious than the King's one - it has the highest possible research rating (6*), showing that it is internationally renowned, with world-class academics. It truly is a 'major flagship' department.
But I thought you took the Times league tables as gospel?
Kew
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But I thought you took the Times league tables as gospel?
So where exactly in the Times league tables does it say that the King's Music department has even an equal (let alone higher) research rating to that of RHUL's? A 6* research rating shows that the department concerned has an international reputation; this is what RHUL's Music department has, and King's (with a 5) doesn't.
kingslaw
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
So where exactly in the Times league tables does it say that the King's Music department has even an equal (let alone higher) research rating to that of RHUL's? A 6* research rating shows that the department concerned has an international reputation; this is what RHUL's Music department has, and King's (with a 5) doesn't. Simple as that.
Oh. OK. So its sometimes about the department research ratings, and sometimes about the Times League table position.

Its lucky we sorted that out before anyone thought they were extracting anything useful from your observations.
Kew
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh. OK. So its sometimes about the department research ratings, and sometimes about the Times League table position.

Its lucky we sorted that out before anyone thought they were extracting anything useful from your observations.
So have you actually got any point to make, or you just being randomly unpleasant, as it appears from this end? I used departmental research ratings because that was most relevant to my argument. Happy? I don't see why I should be flamed when I'm making valid points.
kingslaw
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
So have you actually got any point to make, or you just being randomly unpleasant, as it appears from this end? I used departmental research ratings because that was most relevant to my argument. Happy? I don't see why I should be flamed when I'm making valid points.
Yes, all the points have been made above. The changing of criteria can become quite tedious and only serves to confuse any discussion.
vigo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Kate, come on,let some people have the illusion that their uni is better and internationally known.After all it doesnt hurt them.
NO,there's nothing useful in our observations.We're just playing with you here.King's is better,and wherever you end up after graduation they will DEFINETELY know it.Especially if you intend to work in HK.
cktlee1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vigo)
Kate, come on,let some people have the illusion that their uni is better and internationally known.After all it doesnt hurt them.
NO,there's nothing useful in our observations.We're just playing with you here.King's is better,and wherever you end up after graduation they will DEFINETELY know it.Especially if you intend to work in HK.
May I take it as a racist, if not at least prejudice comments, towards HK from the comment just made by u?
lawgrad
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cktlee1)
LSE does not look like a university? :rolleyes:
Of course it doesn't. It looks like an office block in the middle of the city! Not a patch of grass to be found!! :-)
vigo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Racist?I was just laughing at the argument that King's is internationally known just because some people know it in HK.
I would have said the same even if it was tokyo or paris or cairo
Mehh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vigo)
Racist?I was just laughing at the argument that King's is internationally known just because some people know it in HK.
I would have said the same even if it was tokyo or paris or cairo
Guys we are talking about a place where UT (University of Toroto) is better known than GImperial. Most ppl in HK have never heard of GImperial, EVER...but they've heard of UT which doesn't even make it onto the top 10 in the international list on the Times list. There isn't any one quick fast way to gauge how 'internationally renown' a university is (unless its some really crappy university like some unknown university say...uni C or uni O for instance [I am not bitter]...)
TBH ppl in Hong Kong really don't have a clue about British Universities past what the Times Edu Stupliment says and ....uni C and uni O.....grrrrr.....

Anyways...I've not heard of any rivally with the LSE guys. They can't match us for our Science, Technology and Engineering (not sure about medicine) and who really cares about *spits* SOCIAL science... :aetsch:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (36)
25.71%
No (104)
74.29%

Watched Threads