The Student Room Group

Is there still enough time to revise and do well for a levels??

Hi
I do A level Edexcel maths, OCR A chem and bio.
My predicted grades are AAA but I have a huge problem. I’ve been suffering with insomnia for the last 3 months and my brain has just turned off. I can’t even do basic questions anymore and when I struggle, the stress makes things even worse. I haven’t covered all the content for either of them but my main worry is biology. I struggle with biology as it’s content heavy and requires good memory. I haven’t covered module 6 of biology AT ALL. Is there still time for me to cover everything and get good grades?? And for biology, how should I revise? PLS HELP
Original post by pyyrx
Hi
My predicted grades are AAA but I have a huge problem. I’ve been suffering with insomnia for the last 3 months and my brain has just turned off. I can’t even do basic questions anymore and when I struggle, the stress makes things even worse. I haven’t covered all the content for either of them but my main worry is biology. I struggle with biology as it’s content heavy and requires good memory. I haven’t covered module 6 of biology AT ALL. Is there still time for me to cover everything and get good grades?? And for biology, how should I revise? PLS HELP

i think there is, there is still about a month and as long as you understand the basics of all the content, if you spend this next month really putting your all into it, completing as many exam questions as possible, i’m sure anyone can still achieve AAA
Reply 2
Original post by pyyrx
Hi

Heya!

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with insomnia and the impact it's having on your studies :frown: Have you talked to your school or any professionals about it? I would really recommend talking to the teachers you trust about your situation.

Regarding revision, I would recommend starting slow. Create a revision plan, identify the most important topics you need to go over, do some past papers to see where you are at and use flashcards. If it helps Study mind has lots of free resources for you to use.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 3
Original post by gshsghksjhajk
i think there is, there is still about a month and as long as you understand the basics of all the content, if you spend this next month really putting your all into it, completing as many exam questions as possible, i’m sure anyone can still achieve AAA

Thank you! That helps a lot
Reply 4
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with insomnia and the impact it's having on your studies :frown: Have you talked to your school or any professionals about it? I would really recommend talking to the teachers you trust about your situation.

Regarding revision, I would recommend starting slow. Create a revision plan, identify the most important topics you need to go over, do some past papers to see where you are at and use flashcards. If it helps Study mind has lots of free resources for you to use.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

I haven’t spoken to anyone yet, will do. Won’t starting slowly result in not covering content on time?
Reply 5
Original post by pyyrx
Hi

in my opinion, at this point in time you can just about make get A's IF you give it your all, you need to do practice questions and past papers as much as you can . The worst thing you can do is tell yourself it is too late and just give up. In year 12 and majority of year 13 i didn't even take notes in class or do homework and in mocks i was getting U EE , it only took me from late march to now to now be at around B B, C level and only reason is not higher was because i literally didn't know anything and i work on weekends. You are predicted at an AAA so i have no doubt if you really give it your all you will get that , dont give up
Reply 6
Original post by omz_chops
in my opinion, at this point in time you can just about make get A's IF you give it your all, you need to do practice questions and past papers as much as you can . The worst thing you can do is tell yourself it is too late and just give up. In year 12 and majority of year 13 i didn't even take notes in class or do homework and in mocks i was getting U EE , it only took me from late march to now to now be at around B B, C level and only reason is not higher was because i literally didn't know anything and i work on weekends. You are predicted at an AAA so i have no doubt if you really give it your all you will get that , dont give up

That’s insane… can you tell me how you time managed that? What have you managed to get done in that time? Do you do the same subjects as me? And thank you for the motivation
Reply 7
I don't have advice because I'm in a similar position to you, minus the insomnia, but I'm here to wish you well and not give up on the goal of getting AAA. My goal is to also get an A in bio and chem but i do try my best to stop thinking about how close the exams are and remind myself that this is the final push to get those A's. You are not alone. We can do this! Good luck!
If you're struggling with insomnia thats a huge red flag for your health. Let this year pass and try again next year.
Never exhaust yourself for material gain like I did. Worst regret of my life
Reply 9
Original post by pyyrx
That’s insane… can you tell me how you time managed that? What have you managed to get done in that time? Do you do the same subjects as me? And thank you for the motivation

well started off with poor time management and basically covered like 1 subtopic per day because i would spend 10 mins revising and go on TikTok and etc, then easter came around and at the start i dont know how i did it but i worked from 9 am to about 10pm on weekdays and my only breaks were food , toilet and 1 relaxation break and then mid april i burnt myself out and spent like maybe an hour revising per day and the rest of the day fooling around and then end of the break would wake up at 10 am and go bed at 4 am because of computer science coursework. That was obviously not smart because i ended up falling asleep before setting my alarm for school and missed out on valuable education because i came late . The most recent times i find my time management in my opinion is very balanced id go school at 8 and come back home at 4:15-5 spend an hour winding down and then minimum spending an hour either do questions or learning the course in detail and after each round of that maybe a 10 minute break if i need to and i repeat that until about 10-11 and then fall sleep watching something. weekends come home at 5 and revise until 11/12 following same structure.
In this time period i managed to learn whole of economics generally and went from not being able to code to being able to read and understand and make code for computer science aswell as knowing all the repetitive topics that come up for it . for politics i managed to learn essay structure which is like 66% of it and understand all of paper 1 , majority of paper 3 and part of paper 2. core maths i dont revise.
i do aqa economics , aqa computer science , edexcel politics and ocr core maths
computer science and maths are very similar in which its less about cramming information and more about actually knowing how to do it ( practice makes perfect)
biology and chemistry is more about knowledge and memorising key facts and etc with small part of exam techniques, luckily for you thats very good as you can try active recall , blurting and teaching peers to help memorising and just doing questions and etc.
economics requires knowledge but its mainly based on analysis so im not sure if that relates to you
politics is knowledge , recent examples , random quotes and arguing points . im pretty sure that doesn't relate to you.
My best advice to you is to not make the same mistake as me and burn yourself out but make sure your still putting in the work with limited distractions and breaks.
Maths should definitely be past papers and exam questions and etc
biology and chemistry more active recall with exam questions after to consolidate into your memory
i maybe wrote to much here but i hope it answered your questions and good luck
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 10
Original post by omz_chops
well started off with poor time management and basically covered like 1 subtopic per day because i would spend 10 mins revising and go on TikTok and etc, then easter came around and at the start i dont know how i did it but i worked from 9 am to about 10pm on weekdays and my only breaks were food , toilet and 1 relaxation break and then mid april i burnt myself out and spent like maybe an hour revising per day and the rest of the day fooling around and then end of the break would wake up at 10 am and go bed at 4 am because of computer science coursework. That was obviously not smart because i ended up falling asleep before setting my alarm for school and missed out on valuable education because i came late . The most recent times i find my time management in my opinion is very balanced id go school at 8 and come back home at 4:15-5 spend an hour winding down and then minimum spending an hour either do questions or learning the course in detail and after each round of that maybe a 10 minute break if i need to and i repeat that until about 10-11 and then fall sleep watching something. weekends come home at 5 and revise until 11/12 following same structure.
In this time period i managed to learn whole of economics generally and went from not being able to code to being able to read and understand and make code for computer science aswell as knowing all the repetitive topics that come up for it . for politics i managed to learn essay structure which is like 66% of it and understand all of paper 1 , majority of paper 3 and part of paper 2. core maths i dont revise.
i do aqa economics , aqa computer science , edexcel politics and ocr core maths
computer science and maths are very similar in which its less about cramming information and more about actually knowing how to do it ( practice makes perfect)
biology and chemistry is more about knowledge and memorising key facts and etc with small part of exam techniques, luckily for you thats very good as you can try active recall , blurting and teaching peers to help memorising and just doing questions and etc.
economics requires knowledge but its mainly based on analysis so im not sure if that relates to you
politics is knowledge , recent examples , random quotes and arguing points . im pretty sure that doesn't relate to you.
My best advice to you is to not make the same mistake as me and burn yourself out but make sure your still putting in the work with limited distractions and breaks.
Maths should definitely be past papers and exam questions and etc
biology and chemistry more active recall with exam questions after to consolidate into your memory
i maybe wrote to much here but i hope it answered your questions and good luck

That’s amazing! Thank you so much
Reply 11
Original post by pyyrx
Hi

hi! i would seriously recommend watching youtube channels such as miss estruch biology or biology with carol, they explain the modules so well and give tips for the exams to make it slightly simpler ( i do aqa but we cover mostly the same content). Another good revision method is blurting, or using seneca learning. Quizlet is great for flashcards, i find this really good to learn things in a small amount of time as you can easily repeatedly test yourself.

Hope this helps and goodluck!
Reply 12
Original post by vesq
I don't have advice because I'm in a similar position to you, minus the insomnia, but I'm here to wish you well and not give up on the goal of getting AAA. My goal is to also get an A in bio and chem but i do try my best to stop thinking about how close the exams are and remind myself that this is the final push to get those A's. You are not alone. We can do this! Good luck!

Thank you. We will get through this, Good luck to you too!
Reply 13
I'm starting revision now, got Biology, Chemistry, Maths and RS so I'm just hammering stuff out since that's a mix of analytical and recall.
Original post by Siren_2
I'm starting revision now, got Biology, Chemistry, Maths and RS so I'm just hammering stuff out since that's a mix of analytical and recall.
How did it go ??

Latest