Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mad Caddie
The pigs.

Poll?

Sounds like a good idea - do you want to do it? I'm too bored! :wink:
Reply 2
yawn
We have had a lot of 'hot air' from the Tories regarding their rage over the Labour party portraying Micael Howard and Oliver Letwin as flying pigs.

Does that beat the Tories poster on the 'demon eyes' of Tony Blair in the last election campaign?

Which, if any, do you think is the most offensive?

Neither.
Reply 3
Mad Caddie
I can't make a poll on your thread.

Well someone just did! And it wasn't me.

I interpreted the 'flying pigs' poster as suggesting that the Tories were formulating policies which had no chance of success - as in "...and pigs might fly"

The demon eyes one was creepy - to me it suggested that Tony Blair was evil...which of course we all know - he's not :biggrin:

So in my opinion the demon eyes one was most offensive.
Reply 4
yawn
Well someone just did! And it wasn't me.

I interpreted the 'flying pigs' poster as suggesting that the Tories were formulating policies which had no chance of success - as in "...and pigs might fly"

The demon eyes one was creepy - to me it suggested that Tony Blair was evil...which of course we all know - he's not :biggrin:

So in my opinion the demon eyes one was most offensive.

I think the demon eyes is an accurate portrayal of character. Blair has 666 on his scalp and is a real life Manchurian candidate. :biggrin:
yawn
We have had a lot of 'hot air' from the Tories regarding their rage over the Labour party portraying Micael Howard and Oliver Letwin as flying pigs.

Does that beat the Tories poster on the 'demon eyes' of Tony Blair in the last election campaign?

Which, if any, do you think is the most offensive?

This 'flying pigs' row is all down to one damned guy. I mean come on, how are 'flying pigs' anti-semitic? Jews don't like pigs. Big f*cking deal, no one likes snakes, but i'm sure there wouldn't be a row if they were portrayed as snakes.
In fact its muslims that have more of a 'anti-swine' thing than jews, yet the damned tory who came out with this anti-semitic rubbish was jewish, and of course 'anti-semitic' seems to get more public outrage than 'anti-islamic'.
its a load of trot (pun intended) from a lameass tory MP.
Reply 6
foolfarian
I mean come on, how are 'flying pigs' anti-semitic?

They arent, unless you portray Jewish politicians on the body of a pig.

Jews don't like pigs. Big f*cking deal, no one likes snakes, but i'm sure there wouldn't be a row if they were portrayed as snakes.

Thats because it wouldnt pertain to race or ethnicity.

In fact its muslims that have more of a 'anti-swine' thing than jews

On whose authority?

, yet the damned tory who came out with this anti-semitic rubbish was jewish, and of course 'anti-semitic' seems to get more public outrage than 'anti-islamic'.

If only that were even close to being true.
Reply 7
It isn't anti semitic. They did it because it was that particular politician not because he was jewish
vienna95
They arent, unless you portray Jewish politicians on the body of a pig.

Thats because it wouldnt pertain to race or ethnicity.

On whose authority?

If only that were even close to being true.

Are Jews banned from weating pork. NO.
Are muslims banned from eating pork and have it written throughout their holy text that its a filthy animal and the lowest of the low. Yes

And what part of the latter bit isn't true? Anti-semitic evokes more reaction than anti-islamic in the average person. And it was a 'dmaned tory' that came out with this rubbish (i'd point out now he is a crud mp who sits on a crud council).

Don't try using this as a platform for another tirade about how we're all against the jews and the blames for every evil in the world should rest with the overly sensitive muslims...
randdom
It isn't anti semitic. They did it because it was that particular politician not because he was jewish

Is one of them jewish..? haha, shows what i know. Fact is (arrogance aside) if I didn't know one of them was jewish, then i would put money that >95% of the population wouldnt have either.
Reply 10
randdom
It isn't anti semitic.

Putting two prominent Jewish politicians on pigs, even unintentionally, causes offense. Would you hold the same opinion had a Muslim politician been fixed to the body of a pig? I can well imagine the Muslim community would not have.

They did it because it was that particular politician not because he was jewish

Youre on the Labour marketing team?
Reply 11
foolfarian
Is one of them jewish..? haha, shows what i know..

Indeed.
Reply 12
vienna95
Putting two prominent Jewish politicians on pigs, even unintentionally, causes offense. Would you hold the same opinion had a Muslim politician been fixed to the body of a pig? I can well imagine the Muslim community would not have.

Youre on the Labour marketing team?

I severly doubt that the labour marketing team thought I know what we can do lets try and offend the jewish community. Don't you think it was more likely that they thought how can we protray key tories in a funny way. I don't think it would matter any more if it was the muslim comunity. I think that it is just as offensive as portraying a christian as a demon.
Reply 13
foolfarian
Are Jews banned from weating pork. NO.

Yes, because in the scriptures of the bible, God deemed pigs and swine to be unclean food, and not to be eaten ( Deuteronomy Chapter 14, Verse 8). But not only Pork is considered unclean...in fact, the entire of Deuteronomy Chapter 14 really lays out very specific laws on what is or is not "clean" (Kosher) food that people can eat

Are muslims banned from eating pork and have it written throughout their holy text that its a filthy animal and the lowest of the low. Yes

Much like Jews, so why do Muslims have more of an anti-swine thing?

Anti-semitic evokes more reaction than anti-islamic in the average person.

Yet studies show that anti-semitism is far more prevalent.
Reply 14
randdom
I severly doubt that the labour marketing team thought I know what we can do lets try and offend the jewish community. Don't you think it was more likely that they thought how can we protray key tories in a funny way. I don't think it would matter any more if it was the muslim comunity. I think that it is just as offensive as portraying a christian as a demon.

Whether they intended it or not, its still offensive and is offense that is discriminating against the Jewish ethnicity of these politicians.
Reply 15
vienna95
Whether they intended it or not, its still offensive and is offense that is discriminating against the Jewish ethnicity of these politicians.

The theoretically insulting anyone is also insulting the entire ethnice group that they come from. I personally think that portraying a christian as a deamon is much worse than portraying a jew as a pig.
Reply 16
randdom
The theoretically insulting anyone is also insulting the entire ethnice group that they come from.

Indeed, an ethnicity is something that they cannot change.

I personally think that portraying a christian as a deamon is much worse than portraying a jew as a pig.

I didnt know the demon was only relevant to Christians?
Reply 17
vienna95

Have either Howard or Letwin complained? No. Then let's stop this utter garbage. Clearly the "flying pig" theme suggests a "pigs might fly" response to Tory promises and isn't in anyway an insult to Jews.

Quite honestly, I'm astounded at the simple mindedness of some people.
Reply 18
Howard
Have either Howard or Letwin complained? No. Then let's stop this utter garbage. Clearly the "flying pig" theme suggests a "pigs might fly" response to Tory promises and isn't in anyway an insult to Jews.

Quite honestly, I'm astounded at the simple mindedness of some people.

I agree :biggrin:
Reply 19
vienna95
Yes, because in the scriptures of the bible, God deemed pigs and swine to be unclean food, and not to be eaten ( Deuteronomy Chapter 14, Verse 8). But not only Pork is considered unclean...in fact, the entire of Deuteronomy Chapter 14 really lays out very specific laws on what is or is not "clean" (Kosher) food that people can eat

Oh, bugger that. I know quite a few jews that eat bacon. I used to work for one in London who would send me to the bakery to pick him up his daily fix of sausage roll (on the quiet so his wife didn't know)

Latest