This discussion is closed.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
And yet some Jewish representatives find a political advert by the government offensive and this is "smallminded nonsense"?
Hang on, Jewish Representatives now?
As i recall reading, it was one ******* Tory MP who took offence, the Rabbi leaders questioned didn't care about it.
Yes its smallminded nonsense, as was the example you qouted. I never implied i agreed with it, just that I remember a similar situation, which was viewed in much more of a 'Look how stupidly PC the world has become' way.
Jamie
Report 14 years ago
Does that mean it cannot cause offense to someone?

Incidentally, I dont see how pigs flying is a particuarly ingenious or original.
Who said it was ingenious or original? Obviously someone thought it a good enough visual aid to the notion that the Tory's have whimsical views on governing.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
As i recall reading, it was one ******* Tory MP who took offence, the Rabbi leaders questioned didn't care about it.
Yes its smallminded nonsense, as was the example you qouted. I never implied i agreed with it, just that I remember a similar situation, which was viewed in much more of a 'Look how stupidly PC the world has become' way.
Exactly. I don't understand how Vienna reconciles her normal anti-PC stance with backing this utter load of rubbish.
Vienna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Vienna, some people will ALWAYS be offended. That's just the nature of some people. Fcuk em.
Do you believe that this poster was particuarly offensive to the Jewish ethnicity of Howard and Letwin, intentionally or otherwise?
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't understand your stance on this Vienna.
Its quite clear: putting two Jewish men on the bodies of pigs is offensive. At the least, very insensitive.

You have often joined me in accusing blacks of oversensitivity and imagined victimhood or prejudice on this issue
Have I? I usually leave you to any narrow minded racism.

or that issue and yet here you seem to be backing a tiny minority who find a flying pig offensive for imagined reasons.
This is just another example of where your logic is increasingly careless.

Other than the irrelevance of them being a 'tiny minority', you dont acknowledge why this is offensive and reject the argument for this being offensive as "imagined" and "utter nonsense".

Do you believe that putting the face of a Jew or a Muslim for that matter, on the body of a pig could cause offense?
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Again, you demonstrate an ignorance in your comments.

Carol Rossen of the Association of Jewish Refugees said: “This is extremely offensive. It is particularly difficult for our members with the 60th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz.”

Rabbi Danny Rich, chief executive of Liberal Judaism, said the poster was irresponsible.

Yes its smallminded nonsense.
That a Jew, or a Muslim if that was the case, find this insensitive and take offence?
Jamie
Report 14 years ago
Its quite clear: putting two Jewish men on the bodies of pigs is offensive. At the least, very insensitive.

Other than the irrelevance of them being a 'tiny minority', you dont acknowledge why this is offensive and reject the argument for this being offensive as "imagined" and "utter nonsense".

Do you believe that putting the face of a Jew or a Muslim for that matter, on the body of a pig could cause offense?
Pigs might fly, a common saying
The two leading opposition politicians.
Place their head, on pigs body with wings. Make pun

Is it just me, or is this strikely areligious. Religion plays no part whatsoever.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Exactly. I don't understand how Vienna reconciles her normal anti-PC stance with backing this utter load of rubbish.
I dont understand how your racism and ignorance can be appropriately determined as anti-PC.

Its not surprising that the two people that have demonstrated such ignorance so far on this thread are those calling any offense that may have been caused as being "nonsense" and "rubbish". You came to this conclusion and werent even aware of Jewish sensitivity to pork and the pig.
Jamie
Report 14 years ago

Their faces are on "flying pigs" because they are Tories. Whether they are Jewish or not has no significance. It just exploits a British turn of phrase. You ignore the fact they are Jews and of course you are wrong to do so.

I don't recall Tony Blair ( a confirmed christian ) complaining when they gave him ' devil eyes'.

YOU CAN'T CHECK EVERY LITTLE THING IN LIFE TO ENSURE IT DOESN'T OFFEND SOME TRACT OF SOCIETY OR ANOTHER. THAT WOULD SURELY BE CENSORSHIP.

I'm assuming you believe the Sikh play that was in the news recently should have all the books burnt, and be banned?
Jamie
Report 14 years ago
I dont understand how your racism and ignorance can be appropriately determined as anti-PC.

Its not surprising that the two people that have demonstrated such ignorance so far on this thread are those calling any offense that may have been caused as being "nonsense" and "rubbish". You came to this conclusion and werent even aware of Jewish sensitivity to pork and the pig.
Must be a real bugger for all the jews living in Norfolk, what with pig farms and all.
And all those pork products in the shops.
FOR SHAME!

The pigs, they're everywhere, its anti-semitism thats what it is.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Pigs might fly, a common saying
The two leading opposition politicians.
Place their head, on pigs body with wings. Make pun

Is it just me, or is this strikely areligious. Religion plays no part whatsoever.
That may have been the thinking of the Labour campaign. That doesnt alter the fact that it was insensitive and that bearing in mind the particular ethnicity of these two politicians, could be offensive.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't recall Tony Blair ( a confirmed christian ) complaining when they gave him ' devil eyes'.

YOU CAN'T CHECK EVERY LITTLE THING IN LIFE TO ENSURE IT DOESN'T OFFEND SOME TRACT OF SOCIETY OR ANOTHER. THAT WOULD SURELY BE CENSORSHIP.

I'm assuming you believe the Sikh play that was in the news recently should have all the books burnt, and be banned?
So youve moved on from, "Could this be offensive?" to "Even if it is offensive, how should we address that?"
Jamie
Report 14 years ago
That may have been the thinking of the Labour campaign. That doesnt alter the fact that it was insensitive and that bearing in mind the particular ethnicity of these two politicians, could be offensive.
In a country like the UK where there is a hugggggggggge range of ethnicities and culturals living cramme dinto this small island, do you think it is better to:-
Anally take measures to check someones race, religion etc before ever saying or doing anything.
OR
To treat everyone with the same basic respect, even if it means occasionally offending someone's sensitivites.

For instance, I'm sure a picture of money going down the drain with letwin and howard on (ie the two most recognisable current tories) with a caption such as
'Tories improving the economy...I wouldn't bank on it'

Would provoke some anus or another to come forward and say its 'insensitive', 'offensive' 'racism' 'ignornce' blah blah blah because of the age old negative portrayal of Jews by some anti-semites as being greedy bankers.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
In a country like the UK where there is a hugggggggggge range of ethnicities and culturals living cramme dinto this small island, do you think it is better to:-
Anally take measures to check someones race, religion etc before ever saying or doing anything.
OR
To treat everyone with the same basic respect, even if it means occasionally offending someone's sensitivites.
Youre talking on the premise that something could be construed as offensive. If you dont believe this poster could cause offense, why are you suggesting two different approaches to deal with that offense?

Whatsmore, you evidently believe the demon eyes on Blair to be offensive, what is your view on that in light of "occasionally offending someone's sensitivities"?
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Do you believe that this poster was particuarly offensive to the Jewish ethnicity of Howard and Letwin, intentionally or otherwise?
No I don't.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Must be a real bugger for all the jews living in Norfolk,.......
Yeh, for both of them.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Could be? Or was? Who exactly is complaining about this Vienna......I mean apart from you?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by AntiMagicMan)
Basically all politics revolves around diverting attention away from the issues, and arguing about who has the best hair style.
Oliver Letwin loses then....his hair gives me the creeps
Jamie
Report 14 years ago
Youre talking on the premise that something could be construed as offensive. If you dont believe this poster could cause offense, why are you suggesting two different approaches to deal with that offense?

Whatsmore, you evidently believe the demon eyes on Blair to be offensive, what is your view on that in light of "occasionally offending someone's sensitivities"?
ANYTHING CAN BE CONSTRUED AS OFFENSIVE. BY VERY DEFINITION OF THE WORD

-Disagreeable to the senses: an offensive odor.
-Causing anger, displeasure, resentment, or affront: an offensive gesture.
-Making an attack: The offensive troops gained ground quickly.
-Of, relating to, or designed for attack

I simply seperate offensive to many (or many within a particular group) or offensive only to those who WISH to take offense.
How many people look at the poster - even jews and think, hmmmm, they are depicting jews with pigs bodies.
f*ck all, thats how many.

it was simply using a turn of phrase.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ANYTHING CAN BE CONSTRUED AS OFFENSIVE. BY VERY DEFINITION OF THE WORD

-Disagreeable to the senses: an offensive odor.
-Causing anger, displeasure, resentment, or affront: an offensive gesture.
-Making an attack: The offensive troops gained ground quickly.
-Of, relating to, or designed for attack

I simply seperate offensive to many (or many within a particular group) or offensive only to those who WISH to take offense.
How many people look at the poster - even jews and think, hmmmm, they are depicting jews with pigs bodies.
f*ck all, thats how many.

it was simply using a turn of phrase.

So what differentiates demon eyes on Tony Blair from this?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads