Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What do people think about this?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4225753.stm

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a good idea. Not much uni's give that amount though.

ReputationRep:
    I do not see how one could view it in anything but positive terms. It is in-keeping with the ethos of Universities and will encourage those from the lower classes to go to University, something many feared Top-Up fees could jeopardise. I would however, be against them if they were awarded to foreign students, though I expect there will be a limit on those.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, thats what i thought. but then next year they'll be getting an extra £1,750 than normal so i suppose they will be only using the £750 extra for most students (if that made any sense :p:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by razormylight)
    What do people think about this?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4225753.stm
    I'd settle for them just giving me an offer at the moment...

ReputationRep:
    Christ... £1000 for all students with 3 A's at A level? What a fantastic idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Christ... £1000 for all students with 3 A's at A level? What a fantastic idea.
    Is it actually definate? or just an idea? Because if it happens I would seriously be tempted to go there (well, I need to actually get an offer and 3 A's first...neither of which are looking too certain at the moment)

ReputationRep:
    Physics already awards a one off scholarship of £1500 for 3 A grades at A level and I believe this isn't restricted to just the physics dept.

ReputationRep:
    do you reckon other uni's will follow suit? manchester isn't somewhere i've applied too :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    It's only for 2006 entry students onwards
    Oh well, never mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    It will be interesting to see which criteria they use for determining which "10 extremely able student"s will recieve the £10k bursary....people with 5/6/7/8 As at A level? people who do well at interview? people who get good marks in their first yr exams?

It's GOT to cause arguements/disputes
    UMS marks are the answer to all the world's problems...

ReputationRep:
    Where on earth are Manc getting all this money from? I seem to remember that not so long ago, they gave all their staff (save for the cleaners ) vouchers for High Street stores.

ReputationRep:

PQ tell Southampton to give me some money!

*realises they have already given me some money, and a place which i don't really deserves. Shuts up.

ReputationRep:
    My sister should be getting a £1000 grant from Manchester because she got 4 A Levels at A level, although she is from a decent area and went to a grammar school and she would have gone to Manchester regardless. I do think its a very good idea though, I wish my university did somthing like this.

The only danger I can see is its only the richer universities that can afford to do this kind of thing, so as the best universities get richer the not so good ones get poorer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    Physics already awards a one off scholarship of £1500 for 3 A grades at A level and I believe this isn't restricted to just the physics dept.
    As I understand it its a £1000 bursery from the university, however I wonder if they are offering an additional £500 for physics students?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    As I understand it its a £1000 bursery from the university, however I wonder if they are offering an additional £500 for physics students?
    Probably wouldn't suprise me. If they think a £500 carrot is going to solve any problems they are sadly mistaken.

ReputationRep:
    It has certainly made me rethink my choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Manchester will have more than 10 people with full UMS marks in 3 A levels....and judging it on more than 3 A level discriminates against students based on their school.....

plus what about IB/Scottish students - why can't they be considered extremely able just because they've chosen to do a more rigourous/wide ranging course.
    I was just engaging in a bit of intentional self [and seemingly half the law forum]-mocking. I have no doubt that it will be an arduous task, selecting ten 'outstanding' people from the biggest cohort at a single institution within UK HE.

Although having said this, an alarming proportion of people eligible to apply for 'free money' never actually get off their backsides and fill in the forms. 15 minutes of form-filling is deemed too painstaking [loads of people that I know can't be bothered to fill in the forms for EMA] - even if it will yield a mini pools win, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Most good uni's will do these bursaries stuff with a good amount of money. I think they just want to attract people with a poor background and talented students.

I know that the scheme is for A grade students, but I think they would go to Oxbridge instead of Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Probably wouldn't suprise me. If they think a £500 carrot is going to solve any problems they are sadly mistaken.
    No this was before the news article. Its not meant to solve anything just give you abit of an incentive.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.