The Student Room Group

The Official Cambridge Applicants for 2024 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by asqwdfrgthjk
its hard to say - if i'm honest getting into cambridge is just pure luck.
churchill is very competitive for CS so that may have made it harder to get in, but there's no way of determining that. those stats are excellent, and you'll definitely do brilliantly wherever you end up.
the fact that there are loads of applicants wouldn't have helped since almost everyone applying to cambridge has all A* predicted and strong GCSEs, but no one can say for sure that that was the problem
good luck for your other choices though!

It does annoy me that Cambridge says that college choice doesn't matter in terms of success. It so does. You only have to look at old FOI requests (for maths) to see the proportion that fail STEP at different colleges (so few with Trinity offers and loads at other colleges) - this can be used as a proxy for candidate calibre. So the quality of candidate IS different on average. So go for a less well-renowned college to ensure an interview and then shine. But not get the chance to show your skills is really annoying as lets face it everyone has all A stars. Also, if you did apply to a college with more prestige and are pooled the chances of being picked up are pretty low %-wise, and of course you are then competing against not the whole field but those who are considered good enough for Cambridge - so strong candidates. Given the push to contextual candidates and other groups of students that are less well-represented I am absolutely sure the pool is used to level that out - at the end of the day they are all considered good enough. In fact it even said that contextual flags were used in the winter pool in a document i saw.
Original post by ashcloud207
Well done. Which course? Which college?

economics at st catharine's
(sorry i posted anonymously by mistake)
has anyone heard from st catz natsci?
Has anyone heard from Newnham for medicine
anyone heard from natsci at Newnham?
Original post by Anonymous #152
I opened my email after 12 last night and the email popped up. But they sent it at 11 pm . I wasn’t expecting it at that time at all. I wish you all the best with your outcome.
Ik how long the Cambridge application takes but we can’t do thing abt it rn. Did u apply to Newnham as well?

I got an email from newnham Sunday night 1030pm 😭 Very weird timing
Original post by Anonymous #111
I got an email from newnham Sunday night 1030pm 😭 Very weird timing

Did u get an interview? And for what course?
Original post by Anonymous #152
Did u get an interview? And for what course?

Yes for engineering
has anyone heard back from newnham for land ec?
FINALLY! Interview invitation for Chemical engineering and biotechnology from Peterhouse! (Ps:if anyone who also received the invitation wants to prepare interview with me, please comment and we can do mock interviews🙂 )
Original post by MedMama
yes, exactly this
at a pragmatic level it can matter for some particularly popular courses at the most competitive colleges

I think this is a fair caveat in the most extreme cases (e.g. maths at Trinity) if a particular college has a wildly disproportionate number of the total competitive applications, there may be people who would get pooled and potentially fished who they simply don't have capacity to interview.

I didn't realise comp sci at Churchill was on that list mind! :eek: Is there an obvious reason why that I've missed?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Saracen's Fez
I think this is a fair caveat in the most extreme cases (e.g. maths at Trinity) if a particular college has a wildly disproportionate number of the total competitive applications, there may be people who would get pooled and potentially fished who they simply don't have capacity to interview.

I didn't realise comp sci at Churchill was on that list mind! :eek: Is there an obvious reason why that I've missed?

usually it's proximity to where lectures are held, it was definitely a thing to factor in when i chose my college
Original post by Tracy.Q
FINALLY! Interview invitation for Chemical engineering and biotechnology from Peterhouse! (Ps:if anyone who also received the invitation wants to prepare interview with me, please comment and we can do mock interviews🙂 )

How r u preparing?? I have for trinity. 🙂 i do maths fm chem idek what questions to expect?? Mainly maths ?
Original post by Anonymous #156
How r u preparing?? I have for trinity. 🙂 i do maths fm chem idek what questions to expect?? Mainly maths ?

Idk either but I think they will do it based on your personal statement??? But maths will definitely come up the most. Do you have WhatsApp? We can discuss about it further if I have found anything more about it (so little materials online🥲
Original post by Anonymous #118
Hey guys, I was rejected pre-interview from Cambridge for CS at Churchill College last week. I felt quite shocked when I found out, as I'd say I have pretty good stats (Predicted 4A*s in Maths, FM, Physics, CS and 9999988888 in GCSEs) and I think I also did decently in the TMUA. I had a feeling that the main reason for my rejection was because of my choice of college as statistically, most people who want to do CS apply to Churchill and there were just too many stronger applicants. Would I have at least gotten to the interview stage if I had applied to a less popular college for CS?

Same here, but with a few more 9s at GCSE 😉 and Trinity College. I'm waiting to see the TMUA results because my rejection letter said they took the top 75% for interview. I was really surprised not to make that cut since I'd been getting 7s (top third) in my practise papers. I'll see my TMUA score tomorrow to see whether I roughly made the top 75% across the whole Uni... everyone told me it didn't matter what college I applied to but now I'm starting to doubt that.
(edited 3 months ago)
Oh my god the wait... Med (Clare college)... has anyone heard today either from Clare or anout any Med interviews?
Oh my god the wait... Med (Clare college)... has anyone heard today either from Clare or anout any Med interviews?

Nope waiting for St Catz med

My friend got clare med invite on Wednesday last week🤷*♂️🤷*♂️
Reply 1598

omg clare here too, I'm literally dying
Original post by Anonymous #31
My friend got clare med invite on Wednesday last week🤷*♂️🤷*♂️

international or contextual? and do you know their bmat score by any chance?

Quick Reply