The Student Room Group

The Official Cambridge Applicants for 2024 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous #136
Is it true that applying to bigger colleges (e.g. trinity, st johns) will reduce your chances of being accepted for an interview (as it is more competitive?)

Not sensible imho to apply to oversubscribed colleges with oversubscribed courses.
thank you! how about for law? would it be a good choice to apply to downing, trinity and st johns? (i know there are a lot of applicants, esp because i am an international student) but i have predicted 3as and decent extra-curriculars, so i was wondering if i should give it a shot

There is more overall competition for international students. You should consider Homerton, Selwyn or Emmanuel. Good luck
Original post by Wired_1800
There is more overall competition for international students. You should consider Homerton, Selwyn or Emmanuel. Good luck

thank you! do you know if emmanuel takes many international students? i am from singapore and i haven't heard any singaporean law students at emmanuel, do you know of any?
does anyone know if gonville and cauis is a wise college to apply for law? i've seen many international students get rejected, because it is quite competitive. did a lot of applicants this year get rejected pre-interview?
does anyone know if gonville and cauis is a wise college to apply for law? i've seen many international students get rejected, because it is quite competitive. did a lot of applicants this year get rejected pre-interview?

Apply to Girton, Homerton or St. Catharine's.
thank you! how about for law? would it be a good choice to apply to downing, trinity and st johns? (i know there are a lot of applicants, esp because i am an international student) but i have predicted 3as and decent extra-curriculars, so i was wondering if i should give it a shot

Apply to Girton, Homerton or St. Catharine's.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7370449
You may find this thread about law applicants useful.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6481488

This is the Cambridge Demystified Chapter all about applying for law at Cambridge.
Those with interviews may find interview section useful and links provided later on.

Other subjects may be found by typing Cambridge Demystified Subject eg Medicine into Google.
thank you! do you know if emmanuel takes many international students? i am from singapore and i haven't heard any singaporean law students at emmanuel, do you know of any?

Sorry, I dont know of any. You have to opt for colleges that have fewer international students to reduce the competition. You don't want to apply to larger or more competitive colleges like Trinity, King’s, John’s, Jesus, Christ’s etc. to compete against students from China, India, Nigeria, US, Sri Lanka, South Africa, Australia etc.

I am not telling you to play the numbers game, but you should apply to reduce obvious levels of international competition.

My suggestion would be to apply to Emmanuel, if you want to. It is a decent traditional college with a swimming pool, lovely spacious grounds, friendly community, excellent support system etc. they also do your laundry for free which is insane.

Also the founder of Harvard University studied there. It would be a good conversational piece for you with friends and associates.

Good luck
I have an in person interview on Monday. I know everyone says wear what you feel comfortable in but still can’t decide. Those of you who have in person interviews, what are you actually planning to wear?
Original post by Anonymous #37
I have an in person interview on Monday. I know everyone says wear what you feel comfortable in but still can’t decide. Those of you who have in person interviews, what are you actually planning to wear?

Son wore a bright red Nike t.shirt and his clean but comfortable jeans and white cheap trainers.They still let him in!If you are more comfortable doing an interview dressed more formally then do that but not a suit and tie unless it is school uniform.Girls can wear casual or formal dress or separates.It is your brain they care about not your clothes.
Original post by DarkAvengerBack
Got very low in tmua still got an interview for trinity

me too (not trinity) - but still quite shocked
Original post by Wired_1800
Sorry, I dont know of any. You have to opt for colleges that have fewer international students to reduce the competition. You don't want to apply to larger or more competitive colleges like Trinity, King’s, John’s, Jesus, Christ’s etc. to compete against students from China, India, Nigeria, US, Sri Lanka, South Africa, Australia etc.

I am not telling you to play the numbers game, but you should apply to reduce obvious levels of international competition.

My suggestion would be to apply to Emmanuel, if you want to. It is a decent traditional college with a swimming pool, lovely spacious grounds, friendly community, excellent support system etc. they also do your laundry for free which is insane.

Also the founder of Harvard University studied there. It would be a good conversational piece for you with friends and associates.

Good luck

a swimming 🏊*♀️ pool? that’s it then, I’m sold!
Reply 1793
Original post by Scotney
You only apply to one college and most people will have those stats and extra curriculars.Do some more research and pick a less well known college.

If you look at the application stats carefully, and take into account the offers by other colleges, and pool offers, the famous central colleges are generally not more competitive than the other colleges i.e it appears that you have no less chance of getting an offer. That even applies to places like Trinity for maths. What the stats don’t reveal though is the the uber high achieving applicants, e.g those with international maths Olympiads will gravitate towards the likes of Trinity, so although on the surface according to the stats it might look no more competitive, that might not be the whole picture.

There are some other super competitive courses like CS at Churchill, where even the stats show that there are a disproportionately high number of applicants, plus I imagine the calibre of those students is also disproportionately high as Churchill is the most famous college for CS.
Original post by MedMama
a swimming 🏊*♀️ pool? that’s it then, I’m sold!

Students at Emma are lucky.
Original post by lalexm
If you look at the application stats carefully, and take into account the offers by other colleges, and pool offers, the famous central colleges are generally not more competitive than the other colleges i.e it appears that you have no less chance of getting an offer. That even applies to places like Trinity for maths. What the stats don’t reveal though is the the uber high achieving applicants, e.g those with international maths Olympiads will gravitate towards the likes of Trinity, so although on the surface according to the stats it might look no more competitive, that might not be the whole picture.

There are some other super competitive courses like CS at Churchill, where even the stats show that there are a disproportionately high number of applicants, plus I imagine the calibre of those students is also disproportionately high as Churchill is the most famous college for CS.

Colleges are ultra-competitive in some subjects. As you pointed out, CS at Churchill or Maths at Trinity. You see a similar data point with Law at Downing.

It puzzles me that there are applicants who see the numbers and still try to apply to an ultra-competitive course at a really competitive college.

An unsuccessful applicant few years ago, mentioned on that thread that they had applied to Trinity in the hope of being pooled. That was not a sensible move to make imho.
(edited 2 months ago)
Is it true that applying to bigger colleges (e.g. trinity, st johns) will reduce your chances of being accepted for an interview (as it is more competitive?)

If you are international do not apply to Trinity
Original post by Anonymous #119
If you are international do not apply to Trinity

What does that change? I don't understand. I went to an open day and asked in 5 colleges (both professors and students) and everywhere I was told they do not look at the fact that you are home/international (except for med i think) so there shouldnt be any difference
Original post by econ11234
me too (not trinity) - but still quite shocked

What score? Also how you preparing for interview, got mine on monday
Reply 1799
Original post by DarkAvengerBack
Got very low in tmua still got an interview for trinity

If you don't mind me asking, define very low. Also, are you eligible for contextual offers etc. ?

Quick Reply

Latest