The Student Room Group

is further maths needed for apprenticeships??

i have the decision to pick further maths AS in y13, but i don’t know whether it will be beneficial to me. i’m thinking of doing a degree apprenticeship in something to do with economics or software engineering so will it be worth it? is it necessary for this ?
Reply 1
Original post by inaaya.s
i have the decision to pick further maths AS in y13, but i don’t know whether it will be beneficial to me. i’m thinking of doing a degree apprenticeship in something to do with economics or software engineering so will it be worth it? is it necessary for this ?

Further Maths (especially AS level) is one of those things that aren't generally directly beneficial, but do look good for potential employers. Software Development especially, it isn't required at all - but if an employer sees Further Maths on a list of qualifications, it's generally well regarded because of the academic skill required for it, and generally shows you're hard working.

That said, if you don't enjoy Maths or are struggling with workload at the moment, I would say leave it. You definitely need a passion for Maths, and it's quite a jump from Maths so is often found hard. It would be better to fully focus on your other subjects if you feel like you shouldn't do it for any reason.

Economics is a hard apprenticeship as you can't really get experience for it before applying: they're often completely reliant off your grades. In that case, Further Maths might be beneficial. On the other hand, for SW Engineering, you could spend your time better - e.g. by creating a portfolio of small projects to talk about. That experience would often make you a better candidate for the apprenticeship, as it shows your passion, rather than another subject - it also makes you stand out.

These are just the pros and cons that I can think of - there's no 'right' answer. Do what you think is right, as you'll generally do better that way. I hope this helped, and best of luck with your A-levels and getting an apprenticeship :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending